Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I don't understand this? Apple stretches out the iPhone 5 & the camera doesn't take full screen pics in any orientation. Really Apple?

Why would you expect this? Most cameras don't take widescreen pictures. I see nothing wrong with this. If you want a picture to fill the screen, do a panorama shot...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Traditionally, photos are taken in 3:2 ratio, which matches 35mm film. Point and shoot cameras shoot in 4:3.

I know of no photo camera that shoots primarily in 16:9.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I don't understand this? Apple stretches out the iPhone 5 & the camera doesn't take full screen pics in any orientation. Really Apple?

There was a very brief review on the iP5 earlier today in the news, and it was mentioned, that when it came to photos, you would still see the black side bars due to the aspect ratio of the photos. Only movies would be widescreen 16:9.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Not a big fan of the new screen dimensions. Apple is supposed to SET the industry trend, instead they caved to the industry trends...

Kinda hard to set trends based on screen sizes... Either you go crazy big and wide like many androids which makes it less of a phone or you do what??? Taller and no wider... Which is what we got. That's about all the options on the table unless I'm missing something?

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I agree with the OP. I would like my pictures to fit the whole widescreen. This is lame and the pics look small and weird now.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I think Apple should have made the photos zoom by default so that they fill the screen. Then a double tap could bring them back to their actual size. As it is now most people will be simply confused by this.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I think Apple should have made the photos zoom by default so that they fill the screen. Then a double tap could bring them back to their actual size. As it is now most people will be simply confused by this.

But when you double tap it overshoots the screen. There is no way to view it fullscreen really.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
But when you double tap it overshoots the screen. There is no way to view it fullscreen really.

I understand the current behavior. I'm suggesting that the photos should load by default partially zoomed in so that they fill the screen. Then a double tap could zoom back out to show the entire image. When I was into Android for a bit there was a photo app called Tinypic that would zoom any photo to perfect full screen upon double tapping. There's no reason the Apple photos app couldn't load this behavior for all images by default.

mykem

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
Most P&S Camera nowadays give the users the option to shoot in 16:9 ratio.

I haven't got my iP5 but isn't there an option in iOS 6 where you can take photo while in movie mode (one feature that's exclusive to iP5). The photo from that should be 16 x 9 instead of the more traditional 3:2 ratio.

Prolif1k

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2009
Not a big fan of the new screen dimensions. Apple is supposed to SET the industry trend, instead they caved to the industry trends...

It has nothing to do with the industry and trends. 16:9 would be an idiotic ratio for a standard photograph. Pretty simple.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I understand the current behavior. I'm suggesting that the photos should load by default partially zoomed in so that they fill the screen. Then a double tap could zoom back out to show the entire image. When I was into Android for a bit there was a photo app called Tinypic that would zoom any photo to perfect full screen upon double tapping. There's no reason the Apple photos app couldn't load this behavior for all images by default.

Roger. I agree with you.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It makes me sad that, after more than a century of photography, some children on the internet think that established standards should be thrown away because of the shape of a cell phone screen.

Never mind what happens when people try to get their photos made into prints and find that no photo print shops, frames, or albums are suited for these hypothetical 16x9 photos. Some black boarders on the screen are confusing to people, apparently, but that wouldn't be?

4x6?
8x10?
5x7?

Is any of this ringing a bell? No? I guess when you're raised thinking that Facebook is the end result of any digital image you don't have to know stuff like this.

As I said, it makes me sad.

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1 the image loads up zoomed in to full screen, and I can pinch to zoom out. Does the iPhone 5 and/or iOS 6 no longer do this?

Ionize

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Hey guys if u want to take pic in fullscreen record and then take pic while recording.

paddylaz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Hey guys if u want to take pic in fullscreen record and then take pic while recording.

Except that this is of course won't be a photo using the optics, but simply a screen capture of what's being displayed, which will be of lower quality.

Yeah the gaps are annoying, it would have been nice if they had made the camera 16:9 as well as the screen,, like on the htc one x (crap phone though that was). The images on the i5 are actually displayed SMALLER whilst browsing through than previous iphones as they don't do the slight zoom-in technique employed on previous phones. It's one of about 5 things that combined, made me return my i5 and get a 4s which I'm very happy with.

Last edited:

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
The images on the i5 are actually displayed SMALLER whilst browsing through than previous iphones as they don't do the slight zoom-in technique employed on previous phones. It's one of about 5 things that combined, made me return my i5 and get a 4s which I'm very happy with.

Great reason to return the phone.

paddylaz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Great reason to return the phone.

How do you even have time for pointless posts like this? I was responding to the op's message because it was relevant and that's what this forum is for. To write sarcastic prattish comments that add nothing to the thread (on any thread) tells me you are bored or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.