Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IlliniGuy76

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
As I said - I'm having some issues here. Thinking about going into Apple tomorrow with these results. In Chicago, on VZ LTE they should be significantly higher.. no?

image.png

iRedline2

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Pennsylvania
I have Verizon in Central Pennsylvania. I'm getting LTE results that range from 2-6 down and 1-16 upload. I live in one town and work in another. Results are about the same in each. I'm starting to wonder why my speeds are so slow compared to everyone else. There is full LTE coverage in this area by the way.

IlliniGuy76

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
I have Verizon in Central Pennsylvania. I'm getting LTE results that range from 2-6 down and 1-16 upload. I live in one town and work in another. Results are about the same in each. I'm starting to wonder why my speeds are so slow compared to everyone else. There is full LTE coverage in this area by the way.

Same here as witnessed by the photo I posted. I'm about 20 miles outside of Chicago in a populous suburb.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I live in a populated suburb of Chicago.

I'm anywhere between 4 down, and .54-1 up.

Horrible numbers. Speed Test is pulling from a location in Kansas.

What gives? I'm VZ LTE. Thoughts?

Mine is doing the same. I'm on att but speed test is pulling from Kansas as well, I'm in Chicago? Is there another app similar to speed test?

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Never mind I switched wifi on and off and cleared the app and restarted. Pinged from Aurora and got:

utu4aruh.jpg

iRedline2

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Pennsylvania
Never mind I switched wifi on and off and cleared the app and restarted. Pinged from Aurora and got:

That worked for me too. I'm now getting 10+ down and I'm currently in an extended LTE area. I'm sure my results will only get better when I'm in a stronger LTE area. Which is pretty much everywhere around here except at my house.

amyangel

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I'm in cerritos, ca and tested it earlier, getting 8.67 up and 3.7 dl
it beats the 1.1mb i'm getting on 3G, tested on my husband's IP4

i;m on AT&T

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
And to think iPhone users were blowing LTE off like it was no big deal when they didn't have it. Now people are freaking out and creating threads when it drops or they can't get it working :rolleyes:

IOS+ 3G> Android + LTE

IOS + LTE= Perfection

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Dallas TX near 635 and Montfort. Jaw dropped. The speed of the hardware coupled with the speed of the network (even at a fraction of these speeds) really sets this iPhone apart from the rest. Best upgrade over last model by far.

e2a0Il.jpg

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
As I said - I'm having some issues here. Thinking about going into Apple tomorrow with these results. In Chicago, on VZ LTE they should be significantly higher.. no?

Try a real world test. Find a HQ YouTube video between 10-20 minutes long. Either check or reset your Cellular Usage at Settings->General->Usage->Cellular Usage. Reload the page and start the video. You'll see the video buffering while the controls are visible. Once the video completely buffers, look at the playtime or pause the video. Head back to your Cellular Usage and see what the difference is. Then, do the math. Video size divided by Time times 8. You multiply by 8 to give you Mbit which is kind of the standard.

Example: 20 minute video took 45 seconds to buffer. 100 MB used. 100 / 45 * 8 = 17.77 Mbit/s.

I was getting somewhere between 5-8 Mbit d/l on my Speedtest results and was somewhat disappointed, but after seeing the YouTube video buffer so quickly, I'm pretty happy.

Like most Apple stuff, you shouldn't rely too heavily on numbers.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
C269D457-40CF-4ED4-9C0E-5E8A9A476EC0-685-0000002153863A79_zps84b82cb2.jpg

Corpus Christi AT&T Market. Just got 4G in our area as of the 6th of this month. It's faster than my wifi at home lol

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Sprint has unlimited, although a lack of LTE for now. I think it's worth it to stay with them now.

I'm curious what their 3G speed is right now. I know there was an issue with the 4 and 4S that they couldn't figure out. I hope that's been resolved.

I would shoot my nuts if I had to go back to sprint 3g. I hope that helps you decide....

phillypharm

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2012
28 down 17 up for verizon :D (san antonio)

(which is MUCH faster than my thunderbolt, which gave me 8-10 down and about the same up)

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
I have it now on an android and it isn't as bad as some people have had with the iPhone 4 and 4s.

I have both the evo 3d and the iphone 4s and iphone 4 for sprint. All three are junk and none of them will hit a decent speed. Lets load up all the users of metropcs, virgin, cricket and boost along with sprint users. Now report back on the speeds during peak times and from 8am to 8pm. lolz enjoy the speeds and the little bit of discount you get or unlimited dial up service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.