Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Anyone know if the iphone 5 has noise cancellation technology in the top speaker that you put your ear up to? I have made a couple calls after getting the new phone and I swear I get a weird feeling when I put the speaker up to my ear that is similar to the effect of using bose noise canceling headphones. Its difficult to explain but it is the feeling you get when there is electronic noise canceling going on.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
It gets even worse if your on speakerphone on a call, the person sounds like they are high on helium, it was really bad and I live for speaker phone bc I am on a lot of conference calls

mojo pin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest,US
I definitely noticed something different when I made my first calls. It really is a strange feeling. I wouldn't say it makes me dizzy or anything but it's somewhat disorienting. Just weird. That might be a little dramatic but I can't think of a better way to describe it.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I definitely noticed something different when I made my first calls. It really is a strange feeling. I wouldn't say it makes me dizzy or anything but it's somewhat disorienting. Just weird. That might be a little dramatic but I can't think of a better way to describe it.

In other words it feels unnatural?

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Holy crap I thought it was just in my head. I thought it felt like there was an air pressure problem going on with my ear. So weird.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Well I'm glad it's not just mine.

Perhaps there's a perennial black cloud over Apple. This thing is supposed to be a phone, it doesn't seem to be an Antennagate Issue.

But it appears that building a good clear phone may be out of the question for Apple.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Yes, I believe it does have some kind of noise cancellation in the earpiece. So the feeling you have in the ear is normal. :)

Modscott

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I am having the same issue. Feels as if there is a constant changing pressure while on the phone, particularly when driving. Seems like the noise cancelling feature constantly changes intensity. Definitely disorienting and makes talking a challenge. It gave me a headache within a short period.

kbutler84

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
I definitely noticed this as well. Actually a few times. I too thought my ears just needed to pop or something. Strange.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
You will get used it. Was definitely a weird feeling when I first got my Bose noise canceling headphones, but I got used to it.

Modscott

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I use Bose noise cancelling headphones often but don't get the same sensation as with the iPhone 5. The trouble I'm having with the phone is that the noise cancelling almost seems to be overcompensating for background noise. On top of that, it seems to have constant, dramatic changes during even short calls.

camaroIOM

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
My brother does not notice with his....Is this something need to change phone for another one?? Or will it happen with all

wiestlingjr

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Wow, I'm glad I stumbled upon this.. I have the same thing happen when I'm on the phone. I feel disoriented, dizzy, and get a slight headache when I'm on the phone. I thought I was going crazy.

Do you think this is something that is wrong with our phones, or just how the iPhone 5 is?

camaroIOM

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
As state like my ears need popping or something...Not really sure due to other things on the phone are flawless. I was going to give some time and see how it goes. I also have some allergy issues going on that is not helping. Funny how several people are reporting this

wiestlingjr

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
I know,.. I was debating going to the apple store today, and trying to swap it out and see if I experience the some problems on a different iPhone 5.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Fascinating. This is one of those "why don't they ...?" type things-- "why don't they all use active noise cancellation", and, it turns out that it might not be all positive. No way to turn it off I take it? Since apparently some folks like it and others don't.

wiestlingjr

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
There's no option to turn it off.. I'm not even 100 percent sure the disorientation comes from the noise canceling speaker. I thought it was maybe from the reception or call radios, but this thread made me rethink that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.