Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisk1250

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Can anyone else not flag emails from a GMail account (set up via Exchange) anymore?

The previous emails that I flagged are still flagged, but there's no way to unflag them. When I go to flag I only have the "Mark as Unread/Read" option... iCloud works just fine.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
Yeah I don't believe you can flag in a Gmail Exchange. Standard Gmail is still fine though.

Here's how I use a gmail/gmail exchange combination setup and it will get you around your issue. Use the Exchange account as your push email and set gmail to check for new messages manually. When you get a new email obviously you're going to look at it in the exchange, but when you're doing management of your emails (filing, flagging, deleting, etc.) do it from the gmail account instead. Set up the exchange so that it only keeps your last 24 hours of emails and then empties out (but they'll still be in the gmail side).

I know it sounds convoluted and such, but its actually not that bad. I've been doing it for a long time like that.

chrisk1250

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Yeah I don't believe you can flag in a Gmail Exchange. Standard Gmail is still fine though.

Here's how I use a gmail/gmail exchange combination setup and it will get you around your issue. Use the Exchange account as your push email and set gmail to check for new messages manually. When you get a new email obviously you're going to look at it in the exchange, but when you're doing management of your emails (filing, flagging, deleting, etc.) do it from the gmail account instead. Set up the exchange so that it only keeps your last 24 hours of emails and then empties out (but they'll still be in the gmail side).

I know it sounds convoluted and such, but its actually not that bad. I've been doing it for a long time like that.

Ah, okay. So you basically use your Exchange account as a way to see when you have new mail but do all the actual work in the other account, right? And by keeping only the 24 hours it doesn't fill up w/ a bunch of duplicates..

Awesome, thanks for the tip! Sucks that there isn't native push GMail.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Fixed!

This iOS6 bug appears on your Gmail Exchange account if you don't have the domain set in account settings.

1) Go to Settings
2) Select Mail, Contacts and Calendars
3) Select the GMail account
4) Select the account at the top of the screen (your GMail address)
5) The Domain field should contain either Google or gmail.com
(google.com will not work)
6) The Username field should contain your whole email address

maximus06

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
This iOS6 bug appears on your Gmail Exchange account if you don't have the domain set in account settings.

1) Go to Settings
2) Select Mail, Contacts and Calendars
3) Select the GMail account
4) Select the account at the top of the screen (your GMail address)
5) The Domain field should contain either Google or gmail.com
(google.com will not work)
6) The Username field should contain your whole email address

Tried this, but flags still don't seem to sync from/to the Mail app. My desktop mail shows none of the iphone flags, and the iPhone mail shows none of the desktop flags...gmail (apps) as exchange. :(

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
Ah, okay. So you basically use your Exchange account as a way to see when you have new mail but do all the actual work in the other account, right? And by keeping only the 24 hours it doesn't fill up w/ a bunch of duplicates..

Awesome, thanks for the tip! Sucks that there isn't native push GMail.

Yes you're correct. Works pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.