Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rookie1986

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Hey Guys, hoping someone can help me

I've Just tried to put my new iPhone 5 on charge and nothing happens, I've tried using my PC's USB and get no connection in iTunes or charge, I've tried using the mains plug and still nothing, I've tried swapping it to a different Apple mains plug and still nothing..... The problem could be either the phone or the cable but i have no way to check/test it...... Does anyone have any ideas because my local Apple Store has no free Genius Bar appointments until mid next week and my phone will be out of charge by mid day tomorrow..... Not a good start at all :(

Rookie

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Go to the Apple store tonight or NOW!

They have phones reserved for defective units. Do not ask for an appointment. Go the the back desk and let them know what is wrong politely.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
Hey Guys, hoping someone can help me

I've Just tried to put my new iPhone 5 on charge and nothing happens, I've tried using my PC's USB and get no connection in iTunes or charge, I've tried using the mains plug and still nothing, I've tried swapping it to a different Apple mains plug and still nothing..... The problem could be either the phone or the cable but i have no way to check/test it...... Does anyone have any ideas because my local Apple Store has no free Genius Bar appointments until mid next week and my phone will be out of charge by mid day tomorrow..... Not a good start at all :(

Rookie

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I don't even know what to tell you. Can't really get a replacement right away since there's no supply available at the moment. I would call apple and tell them your story.

Rookie1986

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Go to the Apple store tonight or NOW!

They have phones reserved for defective units. Do not ask for an appointment. Go the the back desk and let them know what is wrong politely.

My Apple store closed a few hours ago so it will have to wait until first thing in the morning, will they even entertain me though because when I've just turned up and asked for assistance in the past I've been sent away and advised to book an appointment??

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I don't even know what to tell you. Can't really get a replacement right away since there's no supply available at the moment. I would call apple and tell them your story.

The thing is I've already installed a screen protector so would they still exchange it for me? And would they give me another screen protector to replace the one I would be loosing??

Rookie

Rookie1986

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Also, if it just turns out to be the cable and not the handset would they have any on site to do a straight swap or will it be a full handset thing only??

Rookie

kishan21

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
yeah same thing is happening to mines, I'm about to head down to the Apple Store and find out what's up!

zeerow123

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I just registered to let you know that I am having this same problem.

When I try to charge on the AC adapter, the phone vibrates and makes the noise it normally makes when beginning to charge, but the notification on the top right does not change.

When using the USB directly into a computer, I sometimes am able to sync for a short while before getting a message stating that the device is using too much power and the USB port had to be shut down. Other times, I get this message immediately without a sync. I've tried this on a 13 inch Unibody Macbook Pro and on a Windows machine with the same results.

I called Apple Support, and they ran some diagnostics over the phone and told me they were unable to see anything wrong (also suggested a hard reset). I was redirected to a manager and told that I would need to go to an Apple store in person to see if they could troubleshoot the issue. The earliest this could be scheduled was 12:50 PM tomorrow which obviously is not good enough considering this phone is now activated and my main means of communication.

I called my local Apple Store directly and explained my problem, and was told to come in at 5:30-5:45 today to possibly talk to someone at the Genius bar who could try to troubleshoot my issue. If it turns out to be the device, they said that I might get lucky and get to claim an unclaimed ticket for the day (unlikely), or otherwise I would be given a ticket and would need to return early enough tomorrow to receive a replacement iPhone before they run out of stock again.

I'm pretty frustrated that I am being told that the best option if my $700 unsubsidized phone is broken, is that I will either have to get lucky tonight or essentially wait in line tomorrow morning for a phone I already own.

I just wanted to keep other people having the same issue updated, and possibly get feedback on how their issue was resolved.

Thanks, and good luck.

mac3973

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
I had the exact same issue today. Received via ups, won't charge. Makes the plug in sound constantly like I keep unplugging and re plugging the lightning connecter in . Took it to my local apple store. The cable was the issue, not the phone. Was in and out in 10 mins with a new cable in hand.

kishan21

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Went to the apple store, they were about to replace my phone without checking the lightning cable. Asked them to do so, turned out it was the cable! So make sure your cable works before switching any phone.

guitardave62000

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
I had the exact same issue today. Received via ups, won't charge. Makes the plug in sound constantly like I keep unplugging and re plugging the lightning connecter in . Took it to my local apple store. The cable was the issue, not the phone. Was in and out in 10 mins with a new cable in hand.

you didn't have to make a genius bar appointment did you?

Mine keeps going in and out of charging

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
One of my friends at the office had a no charge issue also. Luckily it's just 2.5 miles to the Apple store.

They moved him to the front of the line, readied a replacement, and he was done in minutes. Kudos to Apples organization.

The new one has a few scratches, buy mine does too. Better than a functional defect.

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
My cable is messed up too. I stopped by Apple store earlier and bought a spare (prior to knowing the cable was defective) and was able to test with the spare to narrow down that it was indeed the cable and not the phone.

The funny thing is I think the problem is on the standard usb end - can wiggle it or insert slowly and it will sometimes connect. Sometimes charge only with no data.

Going to stop back by store tomorrow and swap this out, because $20 for a cable enough to justify a visit.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
It's definitely the cables. I got two iPhones an I noticed this happening and I kept messing with things and it turned out that one cable wouldn't let me charge and kept showing the USB error on the computer. Playing with it a little more I have found the bending the cable a certain way at the lightning will make it work. Seems to be some faulty cables out there!

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
I left mine on charge earlier and came back and thought it was strange that it still had a low % must have a faulty cable too.

guitardave62000

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
I just found out its my iPhone :(:(

I tried 2 cables which were both giving me the same in and out charging. Then did the same tests with my dads new iPhone and his had 0 issues.

I hope they can replace it at the store tomorrow

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
Just did another sanity check, went out and got my spare that I was planning to keep in the car -works fine connecting to computer (charges, shows up in iTunes).

Cable that came with the phone will occasional connect to charge, but phone never shows up in iTunes.

87am

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
My Apple store closed a few hours ago so it will have to wait until first thing in the morning, will they even entertain me though because when I've just turned up and asked for assistance in the past I've been sent away and advised to book an appointment??

The thing is I've already installed a screen protector so would they still exchange it for me? And would they give me another screen protector to replace the one I would be loosing??

Rookie

The way the genius bar works at apple stores is that they have only a set amount of appointments that can be reserved in advance. They also have an almost equal amount (depends on staffing) that they open up periodically throughout the day for walkin-ins. So yes, they will be able to see you if you show up, but if they are very busy it could be a long wait.

mac3973

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
you didn't have to make a genius bar appointment did you?

Mine keeps going in and out of charging

No. Tech-support was great! They called my nearest Apple store and made sure that I wouldn't have to wait in line. I just showed up and talked to the first person I saw and they took care of me.

guitardave62000

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
No. Tech-support was great! They called my nearest Apple store and made sure that I wouldn't have to wait in line. I just showed up and talked to the first person I saw and they took care of me.

Good to hear. I just got off with tech support but there wasn't much they could do since the apple store near me is closed for the night. I can't decide if I should just show up at the apple store or call tech support again before going.:confused:

mac3973

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Good to hear. I just got off with tech support but there wasn't much they could do since the apple store near me is closed for the night. I can't decide if I should just show up at the apple store or call tech support again before going.:confused:

I would call ahead of time and make sure that they have the stock of the phone you want in case it is the device Causing the issue. If they do I would definitely go Up there.

zeerow123

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
From the other Lightning cable thread:

Went into the Apple Store and went straight to the Geniis bar which was taking some walk ins, and the Genuis tried a different Lightning cable which worked.

They didn't have a formal parts swap method yet, so he essentially opened a new one up, tested it, and gave it to me. All in all it took about 30 minutes but I've got a working cable.

Seems that the Geniuses at the Apple Stores are much more likely to address the issue quickly and without any formal processing to get you running and out the door, so I definitely recommend visiting the Apple Store to check if your cable is bad . They seemed pretty receptive to replacing my phone right then if necessary, also.

Glad it all worked out, and definitely felt more like the Apple customer service I am used to.

Rookie1986

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Well I got up early this morning and made the 100 mile round trip to my "Local" Apple Store, I got there for it opening and was seen to straight away, I explained the problem that I was having and they asked if they could check the cable and plug, after trying it on both my phone and another the conclusion was that my Lightning USB cable was faulty. They popped in to the back of the store and returned with a replacement, they tested the cable just to be 100% sure that it was working and that was that. New working cable in hand and a happy smile on my face problem solved. So if anyone else is having this issue go to your local Apple store and they should be able to resolve it for you :)

Rookie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.