Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superjew1492

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
AT&T: i'm rocking an awful 7.5mbps down / 2.5 up at 1am when i normally/just got 3.5mbps down / 3mpbs up on my '4g' 4s. not too happy. how are the rest of you doing?

Last edited:

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Depends where you live. In Pasadena the signal can get bad so I get around 5-16 mb/s. Other areas I get around 24 mb/s

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
2.83 up 2.47 down, ATT, Hollywood

Half the time it switches over to the fake 4G. LOL

superjew1492

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
i should specify, santa monica (AT&T / 3 bars) dipping to 6mbps / 1.4 at the high traffic local time of 1:30am...and am on LTE, not hspa+

Last edited:

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Pasadena I go from 5mb to 16.

Monterey Park I get 24 mb.

So overall I'm getting wifi speed or better.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Pasadena I go from 5mb to 16.

Monterey Park I get 24 mb.

So overall I'm getting wifi speed or better.

Where in Monterey Park, CA have you gotten those speeds? I have only used LTE at Atlantic Square in Monterey Park.

Was the 24 mbps on Verizon or AT&T?

Any LTE in San Marino, CA?

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Got this on Verizon in the Westwood area

4dUHl.png

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
i should specify, santa monica (AT&T / 3 bars) dipping to 6mbps / 1.4 at the high traffic local time of 1:30am...and am on LTE, not hspa+

I thought AT&T simply didn't work in Santa Monica. My brother works there and when he hits Cloverfield off the 10, he has always had to switch his iP4 to airplane mode so it wouldn't search for the next 9 hours.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I'm on verizon. And I'm at that McDonald's near Atlantic square right now and just got this. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348334739.876192.jpg

The 24 mb/s is on Garfield and riggin.

Pretty sure I get lte in San Marino but haven't gone by yet with my new iPhone.

wake6830

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
3.6 down, 0.23 up on AT&T at my house near Pico & Fairfax.

I get somewhat better speeds at spots along my ride to/from work in Downtown LA on the Expo line, but I also get some pretty long stretches where my cell signal drops to zero entirely.

Same thing with my iPad 3.

Pretty disappointing but I'm hoping they'll expand soon.

I'm about to go watch the USC game at the Coliseum, where my phone will undoubtedly show a full signal but I won't be able to send/receive any calls or text or use any data. It's been that way for several years now and never improves.

physicsguy13

Contributor
Oct 5, 2010
Huntiingon Beach, CA
It seems like the more congested areas are experiencing slower than expected speeds. Based upon past posts about AT&T's network I don't think this is all that surprising. I am glad I switched to Verizon.

crewpride

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Southern California
3.6 down, 0.23 up on AT&T at my house near Pico & Fairfax.

I get somewhat better speeds at spots along my ride to/from work in Downtown LA on the Expo line, but I also get some pretty long stretches where my cell signal drops to zero entirely.

Same thing with my iPad 3.

Pretty disappointing but I'm hoping they'll expand soon.

I'm about to go watch the USC game at the Coliseum, where my phone will undoubtedly show a full signal but I won't be able to send/receive any calls or text or use any data. It's been that way for several years now and never improves.

The coli is the worst for At&T! Man, I was really hoping they'd gotten that improved, especially since USC has a gameday app that is pretty damn hard to use when AT&T internet is practically non-functional there.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I'm on verizon. And I'm at that McDonald's near Atlantic square right now and just got this. View attachment 361154

The 24 mb/s is on Garfield and riggin.

Pretty sure I get lte in San Marino but haven't gone by yet with my new iPhone.

Awesome speeds!!! No wonder you are getting high speeds you are on VZW. VZW LTE does not work in my home near the Monterey Park Hospital. AT&T LTE does with just 1 bar. The speeds are comparable to their HSDPA+ network since the cell site that serves this area is on Edge.

physicsguy13

Contributor
Oct 5, 2010
Huntiingon Beach, CA
Awesome speeds!!! No wonder you are getting high speeds you are on VZW. VZW LTE does not work in my home near the Monterey Park Hospital. AT&T LTE does with just 1 bar. The speeds are comparable to their HSDPA+ network since the cell site that serves this area is on Edge.

You would think in SoCal that both providers would have a strong LTE network everywhere but it just isn't the case. Some areas have great AT&T and Verizon sucks, others Verizon is great and AT&T sucks, and then there are places where they both suck.

superjew1492

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
I thought AT&T simply didn't work in Santa Monica. My brother works there and when he hits Cloverfield off the 10, he has always had to switch his iP4 to airplane mode so it wouldn't search for the next 9 hours.

Ha! that is literally where i live...i'll be roaming around today and testing it more, but the westwood speedtest is confirming my reasoning to return, pay the fees and higher rates, and switch to vzw.

pocky

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
San Gabriel Valley
I live near Alhambra high and I rarely get LTE. Sometime I see it then it goes to 3G. If I go anywhere else LTE pops back up. I have Verizon. I also want to note, when I go 3G the phone has a hard time getting back on LTE unless I put it in airplane mode and out.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
The coli is the worst for At&T! Man, I was really hoping they'd gotten that improved, especially since USC has a gameday app that is pretty damn hard to use when AT&T internet is practically non-functional there.

I'm going to the game too. Can't wait to hear if LTE is any better than "4G". It's so frustrating to see full signal but almost no data actually being sent. My 4S battery drains almost completely in just a couple of hours of constantly trying to connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.