Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el3ctone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
So, I just got my iPhone 5 about 3 hours ago and 1 hour after receiving it, my screen started to flicker.

1/3 of the way from the top the screen is flickering and fuzzy all the way to the bottom.
You can see that the top 1/3 of the is sharp, but the bottom 2/3 is fuzzy below the "line"

I thought it was a software glitch so I tried a full power down and it was still doing it.

Here's a video, the quality is not that great, but you can sorta see. The movement is most likely not my hand shaking but the actual problem of the screen flicker. You can tell if u compare the sharp top 1/3 to the shaky bottom 2/3.

Video:
http://youtu.be/Alu3Vn8WyVc

yearziro

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
i have the same issues with my iphone 5 when downloading from the app store a brief flicker on my screen its seems to do it for everything i have downloaded its quick but noticeable (ala bad analog tv signal).

And i really dont wanna call apple right now and i know a replacement could be a month away the way things are going kinda disappointed coming back to apple and having problems literally out of the box

iphone5fever

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
i have the same issues with my iphone 5 when downloading from the app store a brief flicker on my screen its seems to do it for everything i have downloaded its quick but noticeable (ala bad analog tv signal).

And i really dont wanna call apple right now and i know a replacement could be a month away the way things are going kinda disappointed coming back to apple and having problems literally out of the box

I have the exact same issues as yours. I have noticed that if you hit cancel, it goes away! But this jas happened twice with me. I recorded a video as well as a proof but I really dont wanna go to Apple store just now. I hope this is just like those yellow screen issue in iPhone 4 and goes away eventually after a few days!

alan7467

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Same issue here, though mine seems to be behaving at the moment...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1449811/

yearziro

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
I have the exact same issues as yours. I have noticed that if you hit cancel, it goes away! But this jas happened twice with me. I recorded a video as well as a proof but I really dont wanna go to Apple store just now. I hope this is just like those yellow screen issue in iPhone 4 and goes away eventually after a few days!

yea i dont know what it is i thought it was possibly a software thing wiped and re-installed to no avail like i said i can deal with it since it isnt to bad but i hope they fix it soon

(coming from a former verizon user whos updates took 6 months hope att has some better turn-around times)

dbyway

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
Utah
Does it look like this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-21 at 11.57.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-21 at 11.57.22 PM.png
    537.5 KB · Views: 17,493

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
this happen to me when i download app from appstore and while i type the password there is like tv flickering thing on my screen

joe90

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2005
UK
Yep just had exactly the same problem when password prompt came up after downloading app on App Store. Poster who described it as bad tv signal was spot on. Went away when pressed home button. Likely to be software issue?

Technogeekus

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Same thing happened to me twice. Once when i was setting up the iphone (right after booting) and next while downloading an app just like the others. But it happened just once. All of the other downloads were ok. And its just like a tv flickering. Dont know if i should panic yet. Hope it'll resolve on its own.

diverski

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
Same thing here... Happened to me when putting in a password at the App Store. I hope it's not hardware... Don't want to have to deal with it...

zacware

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Same thing happened to me when I first got the phone and was trying to activate it. Rebooted it and it hasn't happened since.

alexeismertin

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2005
Bristol, UK
ditto

mine does the same (occasionally) at the app store password prompt, additionally I had a flickering keyboard (letter A - big/small - select/deselect) when typing.

Software or hardware? I can't replicate these on demand though..

pbjr

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Count me as another one. Same deal. Happened when entering password to download from app store.

Aleks015

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Another one with the same exact issue

Got my phone yesterday and same circumstances: while in AppStore downloading when it asks for password it started flickering. Today, same thing happened.

Since I ordered via Verizon website, called them and Rep will be checking local stores in my area for easy swap replacement for brand new unit.
If none is available, she will place an order for a brand new phone which will ship she said on 19th of October - until then I can use my phone and send it back once I get the new one.

She is calling me back within next hr / hr & half.

I do not think it is a software issue, but it may be since AppStore is fairly new. Only software I can think of would be App issue, but is it possible that bad app can affect hardware pieces? (kind of noob question)...

Resante

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Yep just had exactly the same problem when password prompt came up after downloading app on App Store. Poster who described it as bad tv signal was spot on. Went away when pressed home button. Likely to be software issue?

Me too. Same issue

Cubeeless

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
this happen to me when i download app from appstore and while i type the password there is like tv flickering thing on my screen

Same to me. Is this software or hardware error? Seems like software..

Cardsfan85

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I am having the same issue. It sounds like there may be a couple different flavors of this though. Some folks are seeing the flicker only in specific instances (i.e. App Store password screen). For others like myself it appears to be more of a generalized issue.

What I noticed on mine yesterday is that after a period of use anywhere from 5-20 minutes, I would get a fine horizontal line across the top bar that contains signal strength. The line would start to move and dance and then everything below it (almost the entire screen) would start to shake in unison. If you were looking at the home screen, it was like each icon was moving up and down rapidly by about a millimeter or less. The effect was kind of blurred look. Mine would come and go and didn't seem to be tied to any specific action or app.

I called Apple yesterday and they had me do a restore, but it didn't help. That led me to believe that this is a hardware issue. They told me that the next option would be for me to send it in for repair and that it would take 7-10 business days for my phone to repaired or replaced.

The odd thing is that it seems to have settled down some today. I have been using my iphone quite a bit this morning, and haven't been able to replicate the problem. I have seen the black line appear a couple of times, but it hasn't affected the rest of the screen, and it goes away quickly when it appears. This leaves me in limbo at the moment.

Aleks015

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Got my phone yesterday and same circumstances: while in AppStore downloading when it asks for password it started flickering. Today, same thing happened.

Since I ordered via Verizon website, called them and Rep will be checking local stores in my area for easy swap replacement for brand new unit.
If none is available, she will place an order for a brand new phone which will ship she said on 19th of October - until then I can use my phone and send it back once I get the new one.

She is calling me back within next hr / hr & half.

I do not think it is a software issue, but it may be since AppStore is fairly new. Only software I can think of would be App issue, but is it possible that bad app can affect hardware pieces? (kind of noob question)...

UPDATE: Verizon rep called me and naturally all of the local stores are sold-out. Besides that she is not allowed to send me or order another phone while I have this one on my hands. She said she is working on the issue and will call me back within an hour and assured me that Verizon will make it right.

Honestly, I am assuming it is some sort of software/hardware connections loose problem but have no clue what exactly may be. I am set however to get 2yr Apple Care + for both my wife and myself. Even if I keep this phone it could be it is a bug that will work itself out and if not, Apple Care+ is there... maybe try to get discount on Apple Care+ but very doubtful.

I'll keep all posted.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
plug it into itunes and see if there's an update. If not maybe try doing a restore. You all might wanna call Apple. Apple isn't going to know about it, therefore do nothing about it, if no one calls it in.

Same to me. Is this software or hardware error? Seems like software..

Cubeeless

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
plug it into itunes and see if there's an update. If not maybe try doing a restore. You all might wanna call Apple. Apple isn't going to know about it, therefore do nothing about it, if no one calls it in.

Its iphone 5 with ios6 there is no update.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I had it happen about 10 minutes ago. Very minorly however. I was in the App Store and using search. The keyboard popped up and there was a very slight flickering line at the bottom of the 'uppercase/shift' button. When I closed the keyboard, it stopped.

This seems to be a software problem, and not a hardware one.

RaNdOm

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Same here

This happened to me to while I was having coffe this morning. I'm pretty sure it happened at the password screen when I was downloading one of those free Starbucks apps. Seems like it happens in the same place for most people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.