Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
I got the white iPhone 5 and for the first time I have no yellow screen. All my previous white ones had the yellow screen(4s) but this one is much more bluish like my sisters black 4s. Btw screen on this thing rocks colors are amazing.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
My screen looks fine if I just use it but put it next to my old iPhone 4 and my friends iPhone 4 and the new screen looks a little yellow. The older phones have a nice crisp white to them that my new one doesn't. Oh well. Just don't put my phone next to others. Problem solved.

DMHmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Just watched some jailbreak videos on YouTube about the 4s's yellow screen and looks like I'll just jailbreak my phone when that comes out.

Seems like problem solved after all :)

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Just imagine how cheap Apple could sell iPhones, iPads etc. if so many people didn't return their devices trying to get a "perfect" one. Yellow tint, blue tint, light leak, tiny scuffs, this stuff cracks me up. :)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I received two phones. One has a very nice display. One is very yellow. I'm guessing it's going to gradually go away & be clear as the other one is. Patience goes a long ways.

yellowfever5

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
UK
Got an iphone 5 yesterday. Disappointed with the screen. Firstly, the screen should show white as white not some p*ssy yellow, nowhere near as good as my 4S. Secondly colours look oversaturated and unnatural. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Apple have just whacked the saturation up.

Also tested camera - no better, even on low light without flash
General speed (Unless you need real grunt, like graphic intensive gaming) - no better
It's too big!

Overall - it is going back

alphabetagaga

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Hitchin, UK
Got an iphone 5 yesterday. Disappointed with the screen. Firstly, the screen should show white as white not some p*ssy yellow, nowhere near as good as my 4S.
It's too big!

Overall - it is going back
+1 to all the above. the screen on my device is a let down. on my 4s it wasn't. the height vs width is a problem for me too. it just doesn't feel quite in proportion as it is. it should be just a little bit wider with the extra height apple have added.

mine is going back too

:)

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
It's the glue - they come off the production line, and get shipped so fast that it's still drying. Give it around 3 days - it it's not showing any sign of clearing, take it in for replacement.

No. No. No. Repeat x10.

Glue is only responsible for SMALL YELLOW BLOTCHES, not a screen that is yellow in color temperature.

iPhone4YellowSpot.jpg

This could be caused by glue, not the entire screen!

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Unfortunately after using my iPhone 5 today I have noticed that it has a strong yellow screen. The iPhone 5 is pictured below on the left and the iPhone 4 is pictured on the right. I hope Apple fixes this major issue. Does anyone else suffer from the yellow screen issue?

yellowscreenip5_zps0c5a076e.jpg

"Suffer" is the wrong word. The left screen looks much better calibrated... Take a photo of yourself or a loved one and compalre on both screen via photo stream... Left screen will look TONS better, the right screen will show you looking like a zombie, while at the same time swallowing details in the picture die to the uncalibrated screen.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Yellow screens are NOT natural and do not have better calibration. Why? Simple: whites should look white and not yellow. How on earth are whites being displayed as yellows 'more natural'?
"Suffer" is the wrong word. The left screen looks much better calibrated... Take a photo of yourself or a loved one and compalre on both screen via photo stream... Left screen will look TONS better, the right screen will show you looking like a zombie, while at the same time swallowing details in the picture die to the uncalibrated screen.
You're assuming the photo taken will have 100% natural color representation, which is never the case.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Yellow screens are NOT natural and do not have better calibration. Why? Simple: whites should look white and not yellow. How on earth are whites being displayed as yellows 'more natural'?You're assuming the photo taken will have 100% natural color representation, which is never the case.

Do this simple test: Take a piece of white paper and put it next to both screens... Which screen looks more like the physical piece of print paper??

I bet you it's the one you feel like is warmer.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Do this simple test: Take a piece of white paper and put it next to both screens... Which screen looks more like the physical piece of print paper??

I bet you it's the one you feel like is warmer.
No. Paper is white and not yellow, so the yellow screen will look off (I've done this test). Second, the physical piece of paper will have much higher contrast whereas the yellow screens all have relatively low contrast.

Bare in mind that the color of physical objects depends on the ambient light. In normal sunlight, wites are white and not yellow.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Ok so I've got my new 5 and I also have an original iPhone however the screen is looking a lot yellower on the 5.

Anyone else have anything like this?

You have a non retina iPhone and are comparing it to the 5.

It's well documented the retina iOS devices are more yellow.

That's how it is. I doubt anybody coming from
the iPhone 4 and 4S would even notice.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
No. Paper is white and not yellow, so the yellow screen will look off (I've done this test). Second, the physical piece of paper will have much higher contrast whereas the yellow screens all have relatively low contrast.

Bare in mind that the color of physical objects depends on the ambient light. In normal sunlight, wites are white and not yellow.

Dude, then get Spyder3 and tell me what result you get... You'll be amazed. And no excuses, Spyder can be had for under $100, get it now for life.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I wouldn't compare the iPhone 5 to iPhone 4 (early batch) and especially not to the iPhone 2G. Both were notoriously calibrated towards the Blue spectrum of the scale. The iPhone 2G being the worst of the line.

Apple has been moving towards a warmer tone since the iPhone 3G. But the 3G/3GS were over-calibrated towards the warmer tones. The 4S was better calibrated.

The iPhone 5 is indeed warmer buts its not 'Yellow' like the 3G/3GS often were. At least not to my eyes. Colours are also the most vibrant i've ever had on an iPhone.

Also you get warmer screens with LG full stop. They have always calibrated towards warmer tones across the entire Apple product line. I'm guessing they're the early suppliers of iPhone 5 displays since Sharp fell behind schedule.

Last edited:

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Unfortunately after using my iPhone 5 today I have noticed that it has a strong yellow screen. The iPhone 5 is pictured below on the left and the iPhone 4 is pictured on the right. I hope Apple fixes this major issue. Does anyone else suffer from the yellow screen issue?

yellowscreenip5_zps0c5a076e.jpg
There's nothging to fix, it's not considered defective. Apple is known for using screens from different manufacturers with different color tints. There are many iPhone 4 and 4S with the same yellow tint. You just got lucky to have a different tint. To some other people blue tint is as bad as the yellow is to you. It's a personal prefference. I prefer the most neutral tint which is white. From all Apple devices I've own only iPod touch 3rd gen had the most neutral and accurate white. The rest was either yellow, blue or even pink tinted.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Just imagine how cheap Apple could sell iPhones, iPads etc. if so many people didn't return their devices trying to get a "perfect" one. Yellow tint, blue tint, light leak, tiny scuffs, this stuff cracks me up. :)

Just as fitting: Just imagine how cheap they could sell if they paid attention to quality control and didn't force returns by shipping phones with nicks seen on no other new-in-box phones of any premium smartphone make and model!

So, I think your post is presumptuous. Quality and Quality control is a sliding scale. Apples screen vendors could easly have had a batch that was on the margins of tolerance or even over the line, and passed them on and apple may have missed it (clearly there was no inspection of a whole boatload of fairly scratched up ones that went by). Every company is tempted to dump quality control fails. Bean counters often have their way on pussing problem prudution runs out the door.

That said none of us know (and you sure as heck don't) whether the OP has a screen that is over the line in or not. the correct advice is for him to take it to an apple store and compare it with display models under the same light conditions. comparing it against a 4 or 4s is not enough since they may simply have a cooler color temp as a rule.

Again the sober advice is for him to compare to other 5's under the same conditions.

I like the color temperature. I have to says my samsung is more readable, but the apple is definitely more natural with phones and videos.

shazzam

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Looking at the media's units it looks as if Apple prefers cooler toned iPhones for review.

2bFrank

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Ive got the exact same issue with my iphone5, compared it next to my mates iphone5 and his seemed whiter however we was in a light room, come home and compared to my iPhone 4s and the screen is definitely yellower.

If this is how it should be then it strange but fair enough. however on photos on the phone and next to a white piece of paper the iphone 4s looks better.

I took some photos below, see what you think. I rung apple but they said they have no stock to exchange but I can get a refund if I am not happy, bit unsure on how to proceed, love the iphone5 but should I return it and wait for a new one, will it have the same issue, if there is a issue?

phoneyellow2small.jpg

phoneyellowsmall.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.