Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dieselee89

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
So I just bought my first ever mac 3 days ago. It's a Macbook Air 13" 2012 model. Like the device, the make and finishing of it, never used a mac os before so can't say anything about the OS yet but I got to admit that the Windows Explorer was much better than the Finder in Mac OS.
Well over all I love my MBA and I am sure I'll fall more in love with it once I get to know how to use it like a pro, but there's one thing that didn't impress me and disappointed me, it's the picture quality or as one may say screen result. I played a couple of 720p and 1080p videos in it and there's this some sort of noise or graininess in the video. I don't know why is it like that. I played the same videos in my old Dell laptop and it gives an excellent quality. So not impressed by the picture quality, other wise I love my MBA, been an Apple fan for more than 9 years now and already own iPods and iPhone but never had a Mac. I hope you guys will help me learn operating the OS
Cheers

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Curious to see if an external monitor helps, to narrow down whether hardware or the quicktime player.

Yup, sadly to say, Windoze's explorer much sophisticated than Finder.

So far loving Safari's smoothness, they make one for Windows? Instant-On pretty instant, automatically connecting to my previously used WIFI SSID without any configuration on my part as I move between locations.

First thing I've done is to clone my disc's partition, do not want to lose my custom configurations ever. GHOST used to be my weapon but there is no GHOST for OSX. Using Carbon Copy Cloner now but doesn't seem as sophisticated as GHOST at first use.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
What player do you use ? With VLC 720p movies looks fine to me (no graininess or other artifacts that I can see).

dieselee89

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
What player do you use ? With VLC 720p movies looks fine to me (no graininess or other artifacts that I can see).

I am using VLC player as well

----------

Curious to see if an external monitor helps, to narrow down whether hardware or the quicktime player.

Yup, sadly to say, Windoze's explorer much sophisticated than Finder.

So far loving Safari's smoothness, they make one for Windows? Instant-On pretty instant, automatically connecting to my previously used WIFI SSID without any configuration on my part as I move between locations.

First thing I've done is to clone my disc's partition, do not want to lose my custom configurations ever. GHOST used to be my weapon but there is no GHOST for OSX. Using Carbon Copy Cloner now but doesn't seem as sophisticated as GHOST at first use.

I haven't been able to understand a word after your comment about windows explorer, I am absolutely new to mac lol. can you explain what you just said? I would like to keep my configurations safe as well

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I haven't been able to understand a word after your comment about windows explorer, I am absolutely new to mac lol. can you explain what you just said? I would like to keep my configurations safe as well

That was Windows' stuff. LOL.

In Windows, I used an app called (very famous to Windows administrators) GHOST. What it does is to very quickly clone (make an exact copy) of the C: drive where my Windows OS stuff are. This is very useful for example when you find out your machine is been virus-infected. I don't spend hours/days trying to clean my virus out, I simply reload my last known-to-be-good GHOST image from an external source, takes <10 minutes then am back in business, with all my custom configurations intact.

Now in OSX... am still playing with the various things to accomplish the same goal. OK this is not normal user stuff, it's administrative stuff, but am power user... sorta.

Another thing u will find, in very short order, starting with OSX Lion, u don't get a disc to reload your OS if necessary, u either go it directly from the HD, there is a recovery partition, *or* if you HD does dies completely, u *may* be able to download the whole shebang from the Internet, so Apple forces u to MUST HAVE INTERNET, and of course it's going to be SLOW unless u have a fiber. Anyways not going to go into any details now unless more people interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.