Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

333iRick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Hi All,

Hopefully I didn't screw up too bad. :eek: I have an iPhone 4s jailbroken with OD 5.0.1. I'm having issues and want to upgrade to 5.1.1

Have saved blobs and everything.

QUESTION: Since OS 6 is now out, will I have trouble upgrading my jailbroken phone to only 5.1.1?

I downloaded the ipsw, saved blobs...

Should I restore phone to new before upgrading? If there is a post that explains an upgrade to an older-than-current OS, please share if you can. All I can find are tutorials on how to downgrade - not upgrade. I can't bear to lose my jailbreak despite horrible battery issues I'm sure are app-bug related.

Thank you in advance!

Rick

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Edit: My error.

The 4S is not succeptable to the Limera1n exploit so even with 5.1.1 hash and APTicket file, there is no way to get the nonce file from Apple to downgrade/upgrade.

Last edited:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Hi All,

Hopefully I didn't screw up too bad. :eek: I have an iPhone 4s jailbroken with OD 5.0.1. I'm having issues and want to upgrade to 5.1.1

Have saved blobs and everything.

QUESTION: Since OS 6 is now out, will I have trouble upgrading my jailbroken phone to only 5.1.1?

I downloaded the ipsw, saved blobs...

Should I restore phone to new before upgrading? If there is a post that explains an upgrade to an older-than-current OS, please share if you can. All I can find are tutorials on how to downgrade - not upgrade. I can't bear to lose my jailbreak despite horrible battery issues I'm sure are app-bug related.

Thank you in advance!

Rick

You might be too late. I think I saw on twitter earlier today that apple stopped signing 5.1.1. And with the 4S you can only "re-restore" to the same iOS 5 firmware version you are currently using. Even with your saved blobs, I don't believe you can upgrade to 5.1.1 if apple stopped signing it.

Is this correct dhlizard?

Edit: here's the link to iPhone-dev teams's blog post regarding the matter. Again, this is only true if apple stopped signing 5.1.1. You need to drop what you're doing and find out now because they will stop signing 5.1.1 any moment.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/31869383801/blob-o-riffic

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2009
I'm in the same boat!

same here, i'm just going to wait for IOS6 to be jailbroken at this point and go right from 5.0.1 to 6

I will have to do the same. Which of the following best describes the process?

5.0.1 JB ---> 6.0 normal (and does this mean losing all tweaks?) ---> 6.0 JB

5.0.1 JB ---> 6.0 JB (keeping all tweaks from 5.0.1)

And what do we need to grab/backup in the meantime? My worry is that the guides written for the 6.0 JB, when its released, won't cater for people coming straight from 5.0.1 because its quite old.

My 4S running 5.0.1 JB is my first and only attempt at a JB so advice appreciated :)

333iRick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Rats!

I thought this might be the case. If anyone hears that something changes, please let us know. I know so many people are disappointed with OS6 I hoped Apple might be ok with signing 5.1.1.

Oh well... hears hoping for a quick jailbreak!

Thanks for the replies - I might have tried to go ahead and do something I couldn't fix after.

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I thought this might be the case. If anyone hears that something changes, please let us know. I know so many people are disappointed with OS6 I hoped Apple might be ok with signing 5.1.1.

Oh well... hears hoping for a quick jailbreak!

Thanks for the replies - I might have tried to go ahead and do something I couldn't fix after.

Apple did sign 5.1.1 for 48 hours after iOS6 was released.
This happens with every new firmware release, many rush to update, then live to regret it.

It is a very old and often repeated scenario.

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Same here, I have iPhone 4 on 5.0.1 and will wait for 6 Jailbreak. Not going to bother with 5.1.1 Jb hoopla!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.