Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have one tiny dot of a nick or something in the back plate halfway between the word iPhone and the edge. I haven't configured it yet so I don't know if the screen has any pixel issues. If the screen is fine, the one tiny thing on the back is ok. I don't have any discolorations, spots, nicks, or other issues along the band or bevels of the band.

I'll be putting a BSE - http://www.bestskinsever.com skin on the back and band when it arrives (either tomorrow or Mon/Tues at the latest).

fatcatvi

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I got dent too, and now a scratched replacement.

I got my iPhone from UPS today around 3 PM. There was dent on the side of the phone, I then rush to Apple Store to get an exchange. They replace it with an iPhone that is not from the regular retail box, it was a small white box. After I get home, I discovered there is a 2.5CM scratch on the screen. I ran back to Apple store to ask for replacement again. They rejected me and told me that the store is too busy right now. Make an appointment and come back later.

Apple!
I spent $780 CDN on this phone and it wasn't my fault for the "manufacture imperfection".

Anyways.

Am I still eligible for the 14 days refund policy? They gave me a "replacement", the SN on the phone is different than the one on the box.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
You paid the same price as others that got a perfect phone.

Why should your's not be perfect too.

If you don't bring this up, exchange it or return it.. apple will figure its "ok" that these quality control problems are happening and things will continue or get worse.

Apple is not your friend, they are simply a company like all others that only cares about MONEY and the bottom line, not you.

Make your voice heard - simply filling our a problem report or posting on a forum wont do anything.

MONEY will - returning or exchanging is the only thing that will potentially make apple put in changes for the better. Because that costs them - money.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
I agree with the sentiment that people want to receive a "new" condition product, but there are bound to be imperfections - to a certain degree. Expensive dress shoes have imperfections in the leather and craftsmanship. Expensive suits have imperfections in the tailoring. Why should a product like this be any different? Sad fact of life, but you'll make your own imperfections soon enough.

Having said all that, only the individual user can determine if it is worth the time and effort, taking into account the severity of the imperfection and the risk of another problem, to remedy the problem with an exchange.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I agree with the sentiment that people want to receive a "new" condition product, but there are bound to be imperfections - to a certain degree. Expensive dress shoes have imperfections in the leather and craftsmanship. Expensive suits have imperfections in the tailoring. Why should a product like this be any different? Sad fact of life, but you'll make your own imperfections soon enough.

Having said all that, only the individual user can determine if it is worth the time and effort, taking into account the severity of the imperfection and the risk of another problem, to remedy the problem with an exchange.

Whoa, WTF. I have bought about 40 phones in my life. these are by far the most expensive (and lauded for their build quality) and none has look like the two scratched up black iphone 5's I got.

And if you get nicked up shoes, from the top of the lines shoe company, you certainly do take them back fora replacement.

As far as making your own imperfections, yes we will all get our cars scratched, but you wouldn't take delivery on a factory new car that had scratches would you?

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
is anybody going to wait a couple of weeks and see if the build quality improves before getting their phones replaced ?

JoshObra

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Los Angeles
As far as making your own imperfections, yes we will all get our cars scratched, but you wouldn't take delivery on a factory new car that had scratches would you?

We spotted a slight scratch (maybe a bird was like dancing on top of it) on the hood of my new car right after we signed the slips. The dealer told us that it could've been a manufacturing/transport defect, but they offered to buff out the scratches (since it was only part of the top layer, but noticeable on certain angles).

It's either Apple or someone hands us out some paint or some kind of replacement.

I totally agree with everyone who expects quality for a high priced item. Apple in my opinion should have quality in their products (their past products sure have).

is anybody going to wait a couple of weeks and see if the build quality improves before getting their phones replaced ?

I'm sure going to...

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I have a very small dent on the bezel near the power switch. Didn't even notice it at first; it's pretty small. None of my other phones had this issue but to me, the dent is too miniscule to request a new phone.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
You kidding wright?, that's like saying I won't pay full price but 90% should do and apple would say no problem.
You pay full price for perfect/ brand new product...

I will likely take it in to the apple store tomorrow to see if the can swap. I can catch a fingernail on it with ease.

billinaz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
Goodyear AZ.... for now.
Does there appear to be something peeking out from under the area around the plastic on the rear bottom of your iphone? The nick in the case is one of two that I saw.

iphone5.jpg

PommeDeTerre

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
After reading so many of these complaints and QC blunders I can't help but feel lucky that my white iPhone came unscuffed and built perfectly.

I did however know from previous black anodized products that the metal scratches and scuffs very quickly so I opted for a white model for the first time. It's actually quite pretty.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Argh. Have a diagonal scratch across the beveled (front) edge at the bottom by the Lightning port, one by the power button at the top, and some minor imperfections on the back of the aluminum piece. Will see if it continues to bother me, since otherwise the phone seems fine :(

abdi

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
No matter what color you choose, they're both affected. Scuffs are just not that much noticable on the white one.

Alright, thanks.

Might also be a good idea to open it in the store when I buy to check for damage.

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
Ups delivered by iphone bang at 12pm as promised. i ordered the black 64GB. Opened the box and something small but silver stood out on the right side rim of the phone on the black. Tried to wipe it off and it turned out to be a scratch. deep enough to scratch the paint off.

even above the silent button there are a few scuffs. Usually i wouldnt bother about wanting to exchange it but after spending $1126 on it, i feel like i deserve a perfect condition phone without having to compromise. Its a bummer cos i havent even removed the plastic from it.

Called Apple, they took down my exchange order, and said apple will get in touch with me within 24 hours. But i guess i wont get my new phone for a while now knowing how many people are probably asking for replacements.

its too bad, i am scheduled to travel overseas in a week for 3.5 months. guess no new iphone for me just yet.

packed it back in in box. now waiting to hear back from apple Canada.

i have exactly the same ding as u do

5010A938-2519-43DF-993D-16846B7A1C93-2645-000000E05F4042EE_zps1087aac7.jpg

iSmoke

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL.
i received both black and white iPhones. both in perfect condition. at first i thought there was a scratch on the rim, but it was just a lint. i noticed there's some kind of "blue" pigment in the seems where the plastic and aluminum meets at the bottom part of the rim (black and white). but it's not an issue. i figured maybe it's just some sort of glue. and i'm not really bothered with it.

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Some of you have a legitimate concern that needs to be corrected. Alot of you however are getting way to particular.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Some of you have a legitimate concern that needs to be corrected. Alot of you however are getting way to particular.

I disagree Snapple shouldn't let 8 year olds in china assemble these things. For $650 -$1k these things should be perfect

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
First iPhone 5 - scuff on sides due to machining error

Second iPhone 5 - Battery loose inside, however exterior was FLAWLESS.

Third iPhone 5 - Huge nick in chrome side bands

Fourth iPHone 5 - Pits in aluminum on sides and back everywhere

Onto 5th.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
First iPhone 5 - scuff on sides due to machining error

Second iPhone 5 - Battery loose inside

Third iPhone 5 - Huge nick in chrome side bands

Fourth iPHone 5 - Pits in aluminum on sides and back everywhere

Onto 5th.

I am shocked they let you try that many :eek:

eezing

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
If you're worried about scratches and scuffs, get a case or get one of those plastic phones. Me, I had the first iPhone so I'm used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.