Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Internal space. There is not enough space in the top of the phone for the jack.

Also, people usually put their phones upside down in their pockets, so it works that way too.

ZnyLGAUNdyEHSlkZ.medium

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Magic

GarryBacon

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2009
United Kingdom
It's always been like that on the iPods and especially for what I use it for when I'm in my car it's so stupid having the charger in the bottom and the headphone jack at the top. Now both leads come out the bottom and it looks so much neater. It shouldn't affect you at all, I know it makes my car look better.

Leon575

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
Probably something to do with how the components are organized inside. The new Lightning plug is very small, so it freed up space down there.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
It's always been like that on the iPods and especially for what I use it for when I'm in my car it's so stupid having the charger in the bottom and the headphone jack at the top. Now both leads come out the bottom and it looks so much neater. It shouldn't affect you at all, I know it makes my car look better.

That's true! I like the placement even more now

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I like the placement but I don't know the reason why Apple made the choice of putting it down there.

Any clues?
Also could be to help speaker/dock designers. It would give them an analog out (missing in Lightning) and a stability mount.

shazzam

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Phones are usually put in the pocket upside down, now the jack would be at the top in ur pocket even though it's on the bottom.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I understand why it's at the bottom for all the reasons mentioned, but personally, I like it at the top, because I often like to balance the bottom edge of the iPhone on my lap, desktop, etc while using it. Now that the headphone jack is at the bottom, I have to hold up the phone all the time when the headphone is plugged in. Not a big inconvenience, just enough to be slightly annoying.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
It's a big negative for me. Using on my desktop would now be a pain in the ass and now I'd have to dump the phone up side down in my car's cup holder.

I can see why they did it though. It's just one of the handful of negatives that the new phone has, that you have to live with.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
It's a big negative for me. Using on my desktop would now be a pain in the ass and now I'd have to dump the phone up side down in my car's cup holder . . .

That's a good point.

On a positive note, however, which hasn't been mentioned so far. On previous iPhones one of the water damage sensors was stupidly located inside the headphone socket, which meant that if you live in an area with a lot of rain, like me, there were cases of mis-diagnosis of user damage and therefore excuse for non-replacement.

Although, I'm told, there is still a water sensor in the headphone socket, at least it's now on the bottom where it's considerably less likely to be affected by rainfall.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
it does't have to do with where their is room for the compoents because during the design components they can be organized with same net volume.

IMHO it doesnt have to do with putting it upside down in a pocket either. it has to do with stress on docks or care holders etc.

if you have used a phone in a car holder for nave for example with power going up you are much more likely to scotch the power input over time.

there are lots of micro usb phones where the tension created by having the power plug on top damaged port. I have an epic with an damaged port on top from this.

all the ports belong on the bottom

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Also could be to help speaker/dock designers. It would give them an analog out (missing in Lightning) and a stability mount.

This. I'm happy it is here. A dock designer can now make a cheap "power only" lightning adapter clone and use the headphone jack for audio out. Allows them to avoid the "Apple Tax". No expensive processing or proprietary electronics will be needed.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I don't think it is a space issue. If they wanted it still at the top they would of designed the insides to fit that way.

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Yea major annoyance. I like to put the phone standing vertical on the fitness machines at the gym while doing cardio. Now that's going to e impossible.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Yea major annoyance. I like to put the phone standing vertical on the fitness machines at the gym while doing cardio. Now that's going to e impossible.

A nice set of wireless bluetooth headphone solves this. Put the phone in any position you like. I use these.

Attachments

• JF4-JayBird-Freedom-Sprint-UCord.jpg
    JF4-JayBird-Freedom-Sprint-UCord.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:

JoshObra

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Los Angeles
I like the new placement.

When I have my headphones on and the phone is in my pocket, the past iPhones were practically upside down (so the jack it outside) and when I get calls to check who it is I literally have to turn my phone rightside up.

At least with the iPhone 5, I just simply have to take out the phone and it's already rightside up to see whos calling!

Ya'll get what I mean, right?

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
This is a huge positive for me.

I use my iPhone and earbuds when at the gym. With the port at the top, each time I reach in my pocket to answer a call.. grab the phone and take it out.. it's upside down.

With the port at the bottom.. reaching into my pocket and pulling out the phone makes it right-side-up.

Sorry if that's hard to understand.. but try it in your pocket.. this is MUCH better for listening to audio via a headset in your pocket. :)

Edit: JoshObra beat me to it :D

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
The new jack placement is a negative for me. I use a dock on my desk and loved to have the phone docked when using the headset. This especially handy for long conference calls. Now I'm going to have to figure out something else. :(

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Phones are usually put in the pocket upside down, now the jack would be at the top in ur pocket even though it's on the bottom.

I never really thought about it but that is how I have been carrying my iPhone now for 5+ years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.