Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Proper attitude. My black came flawless, it will get marks, life will go on.

+1. I can't believe some of these people. I can see them now, the package arrives and they immediately put it under a microscope and start looking for flaws. People need to get a life. There are much more important things in life other than any little slight defects in your cell phone appearance.

jargon51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
I have a mark on my screen so quality control was lacking . I would have kept it if the mark was any place other than the screen

I have the 32GB black model and yes the sides were "scuffed" I don't care too much about that but I also have a scratch/mark on the screen in the upper left corner. This is why mine is going back.

JoshObra

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Los Angeles
First iPhone 5 - scuff on sides due to machining error

Second iPhone 5 - Battery loose inside, however exterior was FLAWLESS.

Third iPhone 5 - Huge nick in chrome side bands

Fourth iPHone 5 - Pits in aluminum on sides and back everywhere

Onto 5th.

Oh my.. what luck.

eezing

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
First iPhone 5 - scuff on sides due to machining error

Second iPhone 5 - Battery loose inside, however exterior was FLAWLESS.

Third iPhone 5 - Huge nick in chrome side bands

Fourth iPHone 5 - Pits in aluminum on sides and back everywhere

Onto 5th.

Hmmm... I wonder what the odds are for getting 4 defective devices in a row, out of a total of 8 million devices manufactured.

How many times did you return your xbox 360?

----------

Taken out of context, and inserted into human trafficking context, makes this hilarious.

:D Nice!

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
WTF - It almost looks like it was done on purpose. Not saying you did but people boxing these. Maybe in protest for apple? I mean it appears there is a huge number of devices with these scratches.

Ups delivered by iphone bang at 12pm as promised. i ordered the black 64GB. Opened the box and something small but silver stood out on the right side rim of the phone on the black. Tried to wipe it off and it turned out to be a scratch. deep enough to scratch the paint off.

even above the silent button there are a few scuffs. Usually i wouldnt bother about wanting to exchange it but after spending $1126 on it, i feel like i deserve a perfect condition phone without having to compromise. Its a bummer cos i havent even removed the plastic from it.

Called Apple, they took down my exchange order, and said apple will get in touch with me within 24 hours. But i guess i wont get my new phone for a while now knowing how many people are probably asking for replacements.

its too bad, i am scheduled to travel overseas in a week for 3.5 months. guess no new iphone for me just yet.

packed it back in in box. now waiting to hear back from apple Canada.

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
No actually I dont believe I would get it resprayed because chances are it would be very hard for them to match the original color and it wouldnt look right. Its a car its outside 90% of its life, its meant to be enjoyed not covered up under a tarp for its entire life. live a little

You can just disagree to everything I say, you are still wrong though

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Hmmm... I wonder what the odds are for getting 4 defective devices in a row, out of a total of 8 million devices manufactured.

How many times did you return your xbox 360?

----------

:D Nice!

Lol apple apologist noobs. Went through 6 iPad 3s, 3x retina MBPs, and now 4 iPhone 5s. Go Tim Cook!

Hey guess how many tried it took for a perfect iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, MacBook Pro, iMac, MacBook Air, several iPods? When Jobs was around, EVERY single one was flawless on the first purchase.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
+1. I can't believe some of these people. I can see them now, the package arrives and they immediately put it under a microscope and start looking for flaws. People need to get a life. There are much more important things in life other than any little slight defects in your cell phone appearance.

Well when I go sell my iPhone 4S which still looks like it's a brand new phone, it's going to be a lot more desirable than a damaged out of the box one now wouldn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
No matter what color you choose, they're both affected. Scuffs are just not that much noticable on the white one.

Black.:D

----------

Thought these posts were crazy people so I took a closer look at my black ip5 and found that one of the back glass panels is cracked where it meets the banding. It's not noticeable enough to care just hope it doesn't eventually spread.

I set my wife's white phone up in the plastic so it wouldn't be all fingerprinted when she got home, but decided to peel the plastic off and the back has no less than 5 tiny pock marks and a giant scratch running halfway up the back. The pock marks feel raised almost, so I'm thinking it may actually be splatter from the gloss of the Apple logo and back text? When I turned the phone over, one of the white bands ends in solid blue right on the front of the phone. White phone all over with a nice blotch of blue. Thought it might be blue protection tape but it would not scratch off.

Not returning either phone unless the blue mark on the front annoys my wife, but this is pretty unacceptable quality control. I'll admit that I had to go hunting to find a problem on my black phone, but for the problem to be cracked glass isn't cool. With three separate problems, the white phone is a mess.

I HAVE THE SAME BLUE MARK on my black model! Looks like a little tab, mine is on the bottom antenna.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
Picked up a 64gb White this am, and happy to say it is perfect, just like the black 64gb that was delivered to my house yesterday! Couldn't be happier.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Picked my White 16gig up today (lunch time). The only thing I did notice is that on the top left and right curves, there's a slight line on the metal...it's not a scratch, it looks more like a join on the aluminium. It's very hard to notice, but not sure if its supposed to be there or not. Not really bothered either way though as you'd never see it without holding it 1mm away from your eyeball!

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I got a chance to see a few black iPhone 5s when I went out looking for cases today. I didn't see too many with scuffs, not that it means any of it isn't real, just might not be too widespread.

----------

Picked my White 16gig up today (lunch time). The only thing I did notice is that on the top left and right curves, there's a slight line on the metal...it's not a scratch, it looks more like a join on the aluminium. It's very hard to notice, but not sure if its supposed to be there or not. Not really bothered either way though as you'd never see it without holding it 1mm away from your eyeball!

That's supposed to be there. It's the separation points for the antennas.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Perhaps you need to find something better to do with your pathetic little life than post in a thread about an issue you were lucky enough to avoid?

Personal attack reported. You really didn't have to be rude and resort to name calling. We all have our opinions and mine is that some folks are being way to picky, does that mean I have a pathetic little life. Actually I'm 62 years old and have lived a very good life.

Last edited:

TheDLade

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I got a chance to see a few black iPhone 5s when I went out looking for cases today. I didn't see too many with scuffs, not that it means any of it isn't real, just might not be too widespread.

----------

That's supposed to be there. It's the separation points for the antennas.

Sorry, I just have to soak in this moment :,)

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Strangely, one of the marks on the chrome part of my white phone has rubbed off. Looks flawless now minus these couple of things. Would be nice if that diagonal mark at the bottom wasn't there... Maybe it'll also rub off somehow? :confused:

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 942
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 800

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Glad I'm not the only one.

Any white iPhone 5 owners out there with damage of any kind?

My 32GB white came with a slight chunk taken out of one of the side pieces.It's not huge and horrible, but just wish the first blemish would have been my fault, not out of the factory. Not sure if I'll bring it in for a replacement or not... seems like there's a lot of phones with similar issues. I do love the look of the white/silver though! I wonder if there's something I could fill them in with.

Attachments

• Cf60D.jpg
    Cf60D.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 1,984
Last edited:

EngenZerO

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Denver, CO
My friends and I camped this morning and we all decided to go white after checking out the "scuffgate" thread (btw, many display phones exhibited "scuffgate")...

All three of our white iPhone 5s had blemishes of some sort... most where some shiny spots or little bumps in the aluminum bezel, excess glue?, or little scratch in the back plate... Needless to say... I can live with a few shiny spots on the bezel (especially after seeing the black iPhone 5s)... normal wear and tear will take over soon.

Quick update... the little bumps and shiny spots on the aluminum bezel appeared to be excess glue... i gave the bezel a nice rub down yesterday with my thumb and most if not all the bumps are gone, :D

mullet

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2003
B'klyn
I'm in the same boat. Got a 64GB white via AT&T. Has two dings. One is pretty bad, the other is slightly noticeable. I bought a new phone. I expect a new phone. Going to the Apple Store tonight to get a replacement.

Brad Smith

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
This is what mine looks like. Lighting makes it hard to see. Little knick right above the lightning connector on the left and another right above the first speaker hole to the right of the lightning connector.

Initially was very disappointed, but I am doubting I'd get a pristine one if I exchanged. It doesn't seem too bad. Thoughts?

Attachments

• scuff.jpg
    scuff.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,124

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Personal attack reported. You really didn't have to be rude and resort to name calling. We all have our opinions and mine is that some folks are being way to picky, does that mean I have a pathetic little life. Actually I'm 62 years old and have lived a very good life.

Hah! Telling people to get a life and then being butt-hurt of wasting your life with meaningless posts here? Classic and it IS pathetic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.