Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwward

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Saint Louis MO
However, late last night, the status on both of my orders suddenly changed to Preparing for Shipment but still say "Available to ship: 2 weeks" and "Delivers Oct 5". You would think the that the timeframe and dates would have changed too, but I guess I'll have to wait and see to see if they change to Sept 28.
i'm in exactly the same situation for the same phone. I'm assuming it's shipment is immanent but I have not yet been notified.

tmerritt530

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Kansas
The UPS truck came around 3pm on 9/21, stopped at my house, the driver spent some time rummaging through the back, and then he just left again. What a disappointment! Did they loose my phone? How can I find out?

The problem is I already sold my old iPhone. I had to ship it 9/21 to get the promised price.

Called UPS, and they claim they will deliver today, but I think they lost the phone.

Someone screwed up loading the truck. Loaded it out of order or on the wrong truck. Sorry. Itll get there

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Talked to a very nice gal named Danielle at Apple. She said that by 12:53 Pacific, all of the A T & T simmed phones were sold out .... and my first order came in at 12:56, second one at 1:03.

Once they go into back order status, they are supposed to go in order but some of the carriers have more supply and lower demand than others so they are filling their orders faster. Sprint, for example, took much longer to sell out and their back orders are filling. A T & T is the slowest.

Also variations in color and capacity - black 16s are the most popular, white 64s the least. So the toughest phone to get is a 16gb black A T & T followed by the the white 16 A T & T ... and that's what I ordered.

The end of the story is I won't be getting my phone today or tomorrow and probably not Monday. MAYBE by the end of next week....or not.

I am annoyed; Apple could have done a better job of forecasting demand --- they had to know that there were X million iPhone 4 A T & T customers who were 2 years+ into their current phones and would be upgrading. Add in some 3G and 3S folks out there and they should have realized that their orders were going to skew 70AT/25VZ/5SP. The dropped the ball in a big way.

Having said that, there is nothing I can do but wait.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Did you notice the iPhone wasn't picking up the micro cell yesterday? ATT had to push some changes to the micro cell and things are fine today. In the mean time, the iPhone 5 seemed to have had better connection than the other phones we have used in our house which is on the edge of coverage. The low signal test will be next week when we head out to the camp for a few days, however.

ColdCase -

IDK... When I got home from work, we are talking, getting the phone at work, around 9:50am, and getting home, close to 6PM. It just worked. I didn't notice any problems with my MicroCell.

I did call AT&T to play phone number musical chairs. I am using my old number... Maybe he did something (Like his job, cough cough), realized I had a microcell and fixed the problem before I noticed. I don't know how it works. However I do know you have to register your phones... I was surprised that it actually worked. So just thought it must be based on the phone number.

Thanks for letting me know there was trouble. I can look into it. Maybe we can post our firmware versions and compare.

Last edited:

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Cut down a micro sim as small as you can. See if it'll fit in the nanosim tray.

I don't think cutting the sim down is that simple.

We have iPad2s and iPad3s at work. AT&T had to give us different corporate sims for the iPad3s. They said our stock of sims we use for iPad2s wouldn't work because of LTE on the 3.

We have these sims so you don't have to set up a credit card on each iPad. It's just one corporate account, we ask for a set number of users and they ship us packs of sims.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I am annoyed; Apple could have done a better job of forecasting demand --- they had to know that there were X million iPhone 4 A T & T customers who were 2 years+ into their current phones and would be upgrading. Add in some 3G and 3S folks out there and they should have realized that their orders were going to skew 70AT/25VZ/5SP. The dropped the ball in a big way.

It's most likely NOT that Apple did a bad job at forecasting demand, it's more likely that Apple made conscious decision to start selling 6 weeks into manufacturing becuase the longer the first phone off the manufacturing line sits in a warehouse, the more money Apple is losing. It's just business.

Mac7505

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
My dad ordered me a 32GB white iPhone 5 on Friday night around 9:45 through the Apple Store...can ANYONE tell me when I might be getting it?

I go to school out of town and it's getting shipped to my hometown, so I'm trying to determine whether I will be home to pick it up or not.

Thanks in advance!

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010

Having said that, there is nothing I can do but wait.

I am sorry, how do you forecast - make all the phones you can make, and sell out in less than an hour?

It's as if the whole planet was growing wheat, then the locusts came, yet many starved.

There's no room for planing, as I see it. The planing at this point is on the buyer.

My planning was, get in as soon as possible. I have done this 4 times now, and I think I got the gist of how hit works.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Someone screwed up loading the truck. Loaded it out of order or on the wrong truck. Sorry. Itll get there

I called Apple, and they said it should be delivered today. I still think my phone disappeared somewhere in the UPS warehouse, and I don't know how long it will take for them to locate it. Apple gave me a 15% off coupon for the Apple store.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
iPhone shipped!

Got an email from Apple stating that they have shipped, and I should receive by September 27. They originally said Oct 5. I ordered September 14 around 8am EDT.

stvclncy

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
My order from Sep 14 at 0830am Pacific for an AT&T 64GB black phone just changed to "Preparing for Shipment". Originally Oct 05 delivery.

Last edited:

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
My order from Sep 14 at 0830am Pacific for an AT&T 64GB black phone just changed to "Preparing for Shipment". Originally Oct 05 delivery.

congrats! you will love it!! :apple:

----------

My dad ordered me a 32GB white iPhone 5 on Friday night around 9:45 through the Apple Store...can ANYONE tell me when I might be getting it?

I go to school out of town and it's getting shipped to my hometown, so I'm trying to determine whether I will be home to pick it up or not.

Thanks in advance!

try and use your dad's phone number on ups - i think the longest delivery time is 3 weeks out so i would hope for the best!!

Mac7505

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's even close to being shipped. :( It isn't even showing up on UPS's website, and I have a delivery date between 10/9-10/16.

Sucks bigtime. :( I wonder if it will come sooner than that. I can't even pinpoint when it should actually be here.

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
I am sorry, how do you forecast - make all the phones you can make, and sell out in less than an hour?

It's as if the whole planet was growing wheat, then the locusts came, yet many starved.

There's no room for planing, as I see it. The planing at this point is on the buyer.

My planning was, get in as soon as possible. I have done this 4 times now, and I think I got the gist of how hit works.

I couldn't get in any sooner. I started trying to order at 11:57 pm on 9/13 and kept getting kicked off. It took me until about 12:45 or so to get one order, the next one about 15 mins later. Confirmations came at 12:56 and 1:03.

Just exactly how else should I have done this?

----------

How long between 'preparing for shipment' and getting an email from apple saying it has shipped?

Who knows? Mine has showed "preparing" since yesterday afternoon.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I called Apple, and they said it should be delivered today. I still think my phone disappeared somewhere in the UPS warehouse, and I don't know how long it will take for them to locate it. Apple gave me a 15% off coupon for the Apple store.

I did receive it today. Amazing phone. Based on reviews, I didn't expect much, but this is one amazing phone.

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
I ordered my iPhone 5 exactly 1 hour 12 minutes after they went on sale Central time via the Apple app on my 4S.

Mine immediately said Oct 5th delivery. I wasn't in too big of a rush so not a big deal to me.

Anyway I received an email today that it shipped!

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
After a bad experience with AT&T Pre-Order and also being put on a goose chase for the iPhone 5 in my area I was final able to call the :apple: @ 5th Avenue in Manhattan and pay for my iPhone 5 by phone for all that I been through with AT&T BS and pick it up tomorrow. :D So that right there is good news

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
Why are all the people that order from Apple telling is about their orders. This is an At&T back order thread. I really could care less about your Apple orders. There is a thread for that.

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Why are all the people that order from Apple telling is about their orders. This is an At&T back order thread. I really could care less about your Apple orders. There is a thread for that.

Actually this is the Apple.com Preorder Status Thread so your the one in the wrong thread

reservedegotist

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
I got my shipment notification today -- was part of the Oct 5 batch but now I can't tell when the delivery date will be. UPS shows nothing but the fact that it's in China...any ideas? :confused:

EDIT: Never mind, didn't see my email notification. Sep 28! Hopefully sooner, but I can wait!

Last edited:

dwward

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Saint Louis MO
I ordered the Black 64gb iPhone 5 AT&T version at 3:55AM CDT on Sept 14. By that time delivery had already slipped to '2 weeks' and with standard delivery to arrive by October 5th.

I suspect that this was a very conservative estimate by Apple as to not disappoint if manufacturing issues (ie the Sharp screen issue) slowed down production.
Got the notice that my new iPhone shipped today, 6 days earlier than Apple promised. I'm guessing it will arrive on Sept 26 or 27.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.