Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meganator

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I woke up this morning and mine was workin suddenly. AT&T said they were rolling out updates so it should hit everyone's fairly shortly.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
I don't think it matters which phone you have. The issue is/was with the M-cells. I have an ip5, 2 4s's and 1 ip4. None of them were able to connect to the M-Cell last night.

Ok, good to know, thanks. I just put on a brand new cat 5 cable, but now it's not connecting again. I think I'll try to reactivate since that seems to be working for most.

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
For what it's worth, my iPhone 5 is working on my Microcell at home and I did nothing at all - no reboot nor any changes in administration settings on the Microcell webpage. My number is the primary number on my account and thus the Microcell. I was out of town last night and upon arriving home early this morning was surprised to see my new iPhone 5 automatically connect to the Microcell.

Thus, I assume that AT&T either pushed out an update to the Microcell or rather I believe that AT&T finally caught up with the nano-SIM registration/activation issue. (It was documented earlier yesterday that people were getting their iPhone 5 to work with a cut-down iPhone 4 SIM). It's definitely not a hardware incompatibility issue between iPhone 5 and the AT&T 3G Microcell.

I hope you all are having the same success - with no home cell coverage at all, I was quite disturbed initially to not have the Microcell work with the new iPhone 5. Good Luck to all!

Edit: After reading some on the AT&T forums, some people had success with simply rebooting their iPhone 5 and others got success with taking out and then re-inserting the SIM card. These are both quick and simple things to at least try if you are still not connecting.

Last edited:

LePigeonBleu

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
San Diego
i had to disconnect my microcell, wait a while, reconnect it, and wait for it to activate.

that worked. the downtime for it, as at&t said, must be done.

m

RHELF

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Looks like you guys have it mostly figured out already and I don't remember seeing this mentioned here, but I saw on another forum and this worked for me:

Deactivate Microcell from AT&T website then reactivate which will force a software download to the microcell. Then switch your Iphone 5 into airplane mode then switch out of it. M-Cell popped up immediately after for me.

Hope this helps anyone that hasn't gotten it working yet!

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Well, I've decided it just got fixed. On friday, it did not work. I tried many of the "tricks". To no avail. Today I walked into work and my ip5 connected with no problem. It's just fixed.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I de-activated it over the weekend, but was unable to reactivate as that process was turned off by AT&T until today. I called to have them reactivate it. 10 minutes later both the Microcell and the iPhone 5 both worked.

I did not switch to airplane mode. My phone was on standby. I pushed the power button to look at the screen and it said 'ATT m-cell' without any further help from me.

AnetDailey

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Still having problems

Anyone still not able to connect to MicroCell with their iPhone 5? The first time I contacted support I was told to wait 24-48 hours. I have since turned my phone off/on, gone to airplane mode and back numerous times, unplugged the MicroCell, contacted at&t support and at their suggestion disabled LTE. Still no luck. Has anyone else had to disable LTE? I'm not going to be very happy having to do that every day when I get home, not that it seemed to do any good.

pixpixpix

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
left coast
Inconsistent in connecting to Microcell

My iPhone 5 has connected to the Microcell but does not do so reliably. Often it picks up a poor tower signal instead, even though the Microcell is in the same room. Switching back and forth to airplane mode does not seem to help.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Anyone still not able to connect to MicroCell with their iPhone 5? The first time I contacted support I was told to wait 24-48 hours. I have since turned my phone off/on, gone to airplane mode and back numerous times, unplugged the MicroCell, contacted at&t support and at their suggestion disabled LTE. Still no luck. Has anyone else had to disable LTE? I'm not going to be very happy having to do that every day when I get home, not that it seemed to do any good.

Disabling LTE is the only way I can get it to connect to the Microcell as well. Yesterday (the first day I was home after receiving the 5 on Friday), inexplicably, it connected to the m-cell OK on its own without me adjusting a thing; today disabling LTE is the ONLY thing that will allow it to happen. I've also gone through the m-cell deactivation/reactivation, toggling airplane mode God knows how many times, rebooted both phone and m-cell, etc. etc. etc. Very aggravating, but I have to have the microcell or I will (no lie) drop 80% of my calls. Utterly ridiculous.

JH4DC5

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
Does the microcell signal have priority over the LTE signal on the iPhone? I get a lousy 0/1 bar of LTE at my house. I'm hoping that my phone will just stay connected to the microcell rather than bouncing back and forth between the microcell signal and LTE.

any input would be appreciated! i've got a microcell on the way:D

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
What I did was turn off Hand Off in the microcell settings, and that seemed to the trick where the phone would occasionally alternate between microcell (5 bars) and "4G" (and now LTE) which had around 2-3 bars but ended up in tons of dropped calls. With that disabled, it just stays connected to my M-cell.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Does the microcell signal have priority over the LTE signal on the iPhone? I get a lousy 0/1 bar of LTE at my house. I'm hoping that my phone will just stay connected to the microcell rather than bouncing back and forth between the microcell signal and LTE.

any input would be appreciated! i've got a microcell on the way:D

I can confirm that the phone will use the microcell over the weak LTE signal. It stays connected to the microcell too.

My only issue with the microcell is that despite disabling automatic handout of calls to the macro network the iPhone 5 will still hand out the call to macrocell or loose the M-CELL alpha tag but stay connected to M-CELL. Not quite sure which is occurring. This seems to happen when I am actually on a call.

JH4DC5

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
I can confirm that the phone will use the microcell over the weak LTE signal. It stays connected to the microcell too.

My only issue with the microcell is that despite disabling automatic handout of calls to the macro network the iPhone 5 will still hand out the call to macrocell or loose the M-CELL alpha tag but stay connected to M-CELL. Not quite sure which is occurring. This seems to happen when I am actually on a call.

What I did was turn off Hand Off in the microcell settings, and that seemed to the trick where the phone would occasionally alternate between microcell (5 bars) and "4G" (and now LTE) which had around 2-3 bars but ended up in tons of dropped calls. With that disabled, it just stays connected to my M-cell.

thanks for the help guys!

morgdaddy

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
This worked for me on iPhone 4S

FINALLY!

I think they're pushing out a fix because more people are having luck (myself now included).

I unplugged the MCell for 1 minute or so. Turned on Airplane mode during this time.

Turned the MCell back on. Waited until it was fully up and running. Turned off Airplane mode. At first, no luck. Waited ~2 minutes and BAM.. MCell on iPhone5.

Good luck!

I followed these instructions on my iPhone 4S after updating to ios 6 and this worked for me. Please note, the microcell doesn't show up right away after turning off Airplane mode. It did take a couple of minutes. Thanks!

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011

My iPhone 5 still kept on handing calls off to the nearest tower despite having auto handout disabled. It would standby on the micro cell. I called AT&T and spoke to data support and he confirmed that auto hand out was "enabled in his system despite it showing "disabled" on my end. He changed the setting to disabled on his end and now my call no longer hands off to the nearest tower and stays on micro cell.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Anyone having problems with conference calling and call waiting on the iPhone 5 with an AT&T Microcell? With the iPhone 5 I am having major trouble with conference calling when using the Microcell.

When I start a conference call, either I start it while on a call or I receive a call while on a call, almost everytime it starts to cut out. Like it has bad reception even though I am most of the time in the same room as the Microcell. I never had this problem with the iPhone 4S or earlier, even when I had iOS 6 on them. I conference call everyday and this problem is really giving me problems.

Has anyone else seen this problem or had it? Thanks.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I'm still having problems connecting. Everything was working fine the first 3 days and now when I woke up yesterday I can't connect. Did all of the above and still no luck...

Metzga

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
My voicemail is not working...

...I have had my microcell for over 2 years and now that we upgraded to iOS 6 on our iPhone 4S and 5 we do not receive voicemails anymore. Our phones connect to the microcell and we can make and receive calls just fine but if someone leaves a message, our phones don't register that we have a new voicemail. We get this message when we leave our house, weird.

I unplugged the microcell and also pushed the reset button on the back but it does not seem to help. Anyone else with this issue? Also, we have no LTE in Central Oregon, yet.

Thanks for the help!!!!

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
...I have had my microcell for over 2 years and now that we upgraded to iOS 6 on our iPhone 4S and 5 we do not receive voicemails anymore. Our phones connect to the microcell and we can make and receive calls just fine but if someone leaves a message, our phones don't register that we have a new voicemail. We get this message when we leave our house, weird.

I unplugged the microcell and also pushed the reset button on the back but it does not seem to help. Anyone else with this issue? Also, we have no LTE in Central Oregon, yet.

Thanks for the help!!!!

I still get voicemail on my iPhone 5 & 4S on iOS6 when connected to my microcell.

Ezra1107

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Regular cell connection not working

Has anyone had a problem with their iPhone5 not connecting to the regular AT&T network after connecting to their Microcell? I was able to connect to my Microcell last night, but after I left the house today my phone would not connect with the AT&T cell network. I even went to visit an AT&T store and they told me it may be a hardware problem, and I should call Apple. We tried all the tricks of rebooting, resetting network settings, reseating the sim card, no thing worked.

When I got home the phone stayed on "searching...", and after calling Apple support, they suggested I do a factory reset which is what I have done. Once the software restored I was able to connect to my MicroCell again, but now I'm worried that when I leave the house again it will not be able to connect to any cellular network.

I was just curious if anyone has experienced anything like this? I'm not sure if the MicroCell caused the issue or something else happened.

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
My iPhone 5 wouldn't work with my ATT Microcell despite trying all the solutions suggested on MacRumors. Today I spoke with a knowledgeable rep who deregistered my cell phone number with the Microcell, and then re-added it. I had attempted to do that myself, but the Microcell management page doesn't allow users to delete the principal number--in my case, mine.

So now it works fine, and I thought I'd add my experience to the data set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.