Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Surely it's a hardware thing? It's so bad it must be a rubbish battery.

I had this type of battery life with my 4S as well.

Could be a hardware or software issue. If you do a full restore and set it up as now and the issue still isn't resolved then I would look at getting it replacement.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
To the people that have great battery life, do you have passbook setup? I'm noticing that it's checking my location nonstop (as I would assume), but I have a feeling that it's draining the battery fast. I've had my phone off the charger for a couple of hours, maybe a total of 20 minutes on a phone call and not much else... already at 82% battery

Terrible battery life:

Usage: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Standby: 2 hours, 10 minutes

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I have _never_ made battery life a priority.
Not for smartphones, or laptops, and I am highly mobile.

For years the weak link has been battery life.
I use mine so heavily it just doesn't matter.

Everywhere I go there are A/C outlets.
I buy based on the products that fit my needs best.

Batteries are never a dealbreaker.
Simple :)

For people who want their mobile phones to be mobile, battery life is important. There are outlets most everywhere I go also.... That doesn't mean I want to be plugged into one consistently.

CiFi

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Ok I just looked at my old iPhone 4. It still has 26% left from before the iPhone Launch. Get this:

USAGE: 15 hours, 45 min
STANDBY: 1 Day, 16 Hours

WTF!!! My iPhone 5 just died with about 4 hours usage and 8 hours standby. What is wrong with the 5???

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
Ok I just looked at my old iPhone 4. It still has 26% left from before the iPhone Launch. Get this:

USAGE: 15 hours, 45 min
STANDBY: 1 Day, 16 Hours

WTF!!! My iPhone 5 just died with about 4 hours usage and 8 hours standby. What is wrong with the 5???

Yeah same here. I went from the 4 to 5 so this drastic. Not happy w battery since they claimed its better battery life.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm not sure I'm havin the same problem: my iPhone has 7 hrs use and 12 hrs standby since I charged it last, and I've got 35% battery life left. Not as good as my old 4, but still pretty good, I'd say. Definitely going to work for my daily use from wake up, pull off charger, go, then charge when I go to bed. Definitely pleased with my 5 so far.

tcrab

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2006
To the people that have great battery life, do you have passbook setup? I'm noticing that it's checking my location nonstop (as I would assume), but I have a feeling that it's draining the battery fast. I've had my phone off the charger for a couple of hours, maybe a total of 20 minutes on a phone call and not much else... already at 82% battery

Terrible battery life:

Usage: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Standby: 2 hours, 10 minutes
I was wondering what was checking my location all the time.

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
iPhone 5 battery life sucks?

Yesterday I let my phone die completely and left the phone charging overnight. Today a woke up and was texting for like an hour or 2 and its already 87%. Is this normal? Btw I restored from iPhone 4 backup.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Mine personally feels quite a bit better than my 4S.

Do you have any apps that are running in the background or using location services etc? I heard GeoFencing uses a bit of battery life.

Other than that, maybe try doing a fresh install.

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
iPhone 5 poor battery life?

The battery life on my iPhone 5 seems pretty poor compared to my iPhone 4. With my 4 I rarely had a problem making it through an entire day without needing to charge it, but with the 5 it barely makes through the afternoon. Anyone else experienced this?

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
The battery life on my iPhone 5 seems pretty poor compared to my iPhone 4. With my 4 I rarely had a problem making it through an entire day without needing to charge it, but with the 5 it barely makes through the afternoon. Anyone else experienced this?

Same here! Taking it to Apple Store

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
What are your usage times? What are you doing with the phone? When I pick up a new phone I am very often using it much more in the first few weeks than I do for the rest of the life of the phone. Something to consider. :)

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
What are your usage times? What are you doing with the phone? When I pick up a new phone I am very often using it much more in the first few weeks than I do for the rest of the life of the phone. Something to consider. :)

That's a very valid point. I did consider that but wanted to post here and see if others were experiencing the same issue.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

This....

I'd like to see usage times posted. I'm on a 4S and although there are plenty of complaints with iOS 6 I'm on my way to getting the best battery life I ever had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.