Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MistaGavin

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
This happened to me to while I was having coffe this morning. I'm pretty sure it happened at the password screen when I was downloading one of those free Starbucks apps. Seems like it happens in the same place for most people.

Same exact issue; password screen. And I agree with you, seems too consistent to be a hardware issue.

MMMalex

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
Mine started flickering after I did a hard reboot? (held power and home button till apple logo reappeared). It went away after about two minutes.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Same thing happened to me twice. Once when i was setting up the iphone (right after booting) and next while downloading an app just like the others. But it happened just once. All of the other downloads were ok. And its just like a tv flickering. Dont know if i should panic yet. Hope it'll resolve on its own.

Same for me. Only happened once. I haven't restored or done anything else to phone yet, and thankfully it hasn't happened again.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
You'll probably find its software and is happening for everyone...for me it was such a tiny little line doing it that I almost missed it.

mutantblack

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
same happened to me as well when I was trying to download an app. Rebooted and went away. Hope I don't see it again. :(

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Looks like its specific to when the keyboard is in use then. Cant seem to get it to do it again now tho!

Cardsfan85

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I thought mine seemed better today, but then it had another episode this afternoon. I was watching a long Youtube video over 4G. About 5 minutes into the video, the whole screen started shaking. I stopped the video, and the display continued to shake. The entire home screen was fuzzy. The horizontal line for me appears at the top of the screen, so when it shakes, nearly the entire screen shakes. I rebooted, but the screen continued to shake.

Some people have also talked about a much more limited version of the flicker that seems to only happen on the App Store login screen. I'd be interested to know whether that is just a much more limited version of the issue the original poster and I are experiencing or if that is a different issue altogether.

It looks like my phone needs to go back. I need to find out what my options are. The Apple Rep kept giving me warranty repair options, but I am not really interested in having my phone repaired. I want a new one.

Last edited:

mohaa2

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
mine only happens o the app store password screen, from left to right in a staggered line until i keep typing then it goes away.

iphone5fever

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
yea i dont know what it is i thought it was possibly a software thing wiped and re-installed to no avail like i said i can deal with it since it isnt to bad but i hope they fix it soon

(coming from a former verizon user whos updates took 6 months hope att has some better turn-around times)

Considering the number of people are saying the exact same thing in this thread and also a person who said his ipad 2 did the same thing, I really think it's the software issue.

Just think about it guys, how is it possible that a hardware fault kicks in at the exact same event but goes away if you hit cancel and do it again? I mean, if it's a hardware thing, shouldn't it be like consistent throughout? At least that's my guess is. I hope I am right. I really wouldn't want to get involved in the hardware thing! :(

Cardsfan85

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
For those of you that are having the problem, do your phones stop flickering after you power your phone on and off? Mine doesn't. However if I let it sit unused for a few minutes, it will go back to normal.

I haven't been able to replicate the problem with 100% success, but my issues seem to be triggered by heavy use. For example, I was doing web browsing and other light use for about 30 minutes this morning with no problem.

This afternoon, I used the phone for awhile and then watched a 15 minute video on Youtube. Near the end of the video, the screen started flickering just like the original poster's.

nostylez

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Happened to me while purchasing an app a line appears on the keyboard. I have a feeling it's a bug I hope it is as I only notice this happening in when entering your pw when purchasing an app.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Happened to me once as we'll, on one if the first password enters. Haven't seen it since. Not worried. Obviously a software glitch or it wouldn't happen under the same circumstances for everyone.

Cardsfan85

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Happened to me while purchasing an app a line appears on the keyboard. I have a feeling it's a bug I hope it is as I only notice this happening in when entering your pw when purchasing an app.

That is not why I am sure if my problem is the same or not. My situation is not limited to the App Store app. In fact I have never noticed it there.

On two occasions, my display went into full blown cardiac arrest mode. Yesterday I was watching a highlight reel on the MLB At Bat app. All of a sudden the whole screen started shaking. I stopped the video and the display continued to shake. The entire home screen was flickering. I powered off and on, but the problem continued. After a few minutes of non use, it stopped. I noticed flickering off and on throughout the day yesterday, but nothing as severe. The flicker would only last for a second or two.

Today my phone had been perfect until a I watched a long YouTube video. Then it did the same thing. The whole display started spazzing out again. I powered off and on to no avail. When it was booting up, even the white Apple logo was shaking. After a few minutes of non use, it stopped.

I have been trying to replicate the problem this evening but can't seem to. If it is a hardware issue, I would like to get the thing sent back. I don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back though if it is a software issue.

Not sure what to do at this point.

alan7467

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
I thought mine seemed better today, but then it had another episode this afternoon. I was watching a long Youtube video over 4G. About 5 minutes into the video, the whole screen started shaking. I stopped the video, and the display continued to shake. The entire home screen was fuzzy. The horizontal line for me appears at the top of the screen, so when it shakes, nearly the entire screen shakes. I rebooted, but the screen continued to shake.

Some people have also talked about a much more limited version of the flicker that seems to only happen on the App Store login screen. I'd be interested to know whether that is just a much more limited version of the issue the original poster and I are experiencing or if that is a different issue altogether.

It looks like my phone needs to go back. I need to find out what my options are. The Apple Rep kept giving me warranty repair options, but I am not really interested in having my phone repaired. I want a new one.

Same thing has been happening to me. Not just the app store. I even had this happen while in DFU mode.

There's folks getting replacement phones because they have scuffs on the metal band. I think this a bigger issue so I would push for a new phone. I've learned that there's an option to do an express replacement. They'll charge you $30 and put a hold on your account for the cost of the new phone, but you'll get a new phone delivered to you prior to you sending your current one back. I'm going to call apple tomorrow to try for that.

Cardsfan85

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Same thing has been happening to me. Not just the app store. I even had this happen while in DFU mode.

There's folks getting replacement phones because they have scuffs on the metal band. I think this a bigger issue so I would push for a new phone. I've learned that there's an option to do an express replacement. They'll charge you $30 and put a hold on your account for the cost of the new phone, but you'll get a new phone delivered to you prior to you sending your current one back. I'm going to call apple tomorrow to try for that.

How frequently is yours acting up? I noticed the flicker several times yesterday. Mine only had the one episode today (albeit a pretty severe one).

My theory had been that the flicker would appear in periods of heavy use. However, I tried to replicate the problem this evening and couldn't. I used the GPS, watched some videos, made a 30 minute phone call, watched some more videos, and visited some web pages. About two hours of continuous use and no flicker. That is why I am kind of on the fence about sending it back right away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.