Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwstump

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Everyone with wifi problems where your iPhone/ipad worked. It definitely is a hardware problem and go to apple for a exchange! I was experiencing everything described in this thread in addition to poor Bluetooth range. Went to apple and exchanged it. Guess what. Wifi and Bluetooth are back to normal! Just my 2 cents

Kevin

snarlz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Changed my router encryption to wep, and it's now working fine. However my 4s worked fine on both encryption types so there's still something amiss.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Changed my router encryption to wep, and it's now working fine. However my 4s worked fine on both encryption types so there's still something amiss.

Bingo. I had three of my friends change to WEP and it worked for them as well. It's not the best solution since WEP isn't that secure but it'll do for now if you want a temp fix until Apple fixes it in 6.0.1.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Everyone experiencing issues should go get a replacement at the apple store. I did it today and everything is back to normal. It is definitely a hardware defect.

Chelecuche

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I was having slow wifi yesterday and when i woke Up today everything was working fine, i guess apple is working on this because i dis not mKe any changes on my router or iphone

snarlz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Bingo. I had three of my friends change to WEP and it worked for them as well. It's not the best solution since WEP isn't that secure but it'll do for now if you want a temp fix until Apple fixes it in 6.0.1.

What if it's hardware though? I'm happy it's working but not convinced it's problem solved.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
my itunes "music matching" is taking for ever on wifi and actually faster on ATT. I knew something was up when that happened.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
That is how I noticed my defective phone too!

mine got so bad that I end up taking iphone in car not knowing it was close to finishing and took out my 3 gigs of ATT so next morning I got text saying I was getting capped. (luckily have unlimited) Mine you it had 5 hours to DL the music wifi and should been done. Then I noticed I couldn't DL any new apps and started to wonder. I end up doing a full restore of the phone and slowing DL music I want on the phone but been a real pain.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Since installing IOS 6 on my iPad (3rd gen,) my iPad has the EXACT same issue as the iPhone 5. I truly believe this is a software issue.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Speedtest at home, All iOS 6.0

iPhone 4S - 28.12 Download - 16.23 Upload
iPhone 5 - 9.10 Download - 7.59 Upload
iPad 3 - 10.34 Download - 5.06 Upload

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Now I'm not sure anymore... I have a genius appointment in an hour. I'll let you know how it goes.

karboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I went to the apple store and talked to a genius regarding this issue. My wifi runs slow when LTE is on and runs fine when I turn off the LTE. I also had speedtest results (with video) to show him. I was basically told that everything was fine with the wifi and they couldn't find an issue to warrant a replacement. They wouldn't trust speedtest app results since its a third party app. So yea, not really happy with the customer service experience.

brberg

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I'm actually finding this to be a hardware/antenna issue on my phone. If I grasp the top section of my phone in any way, the wifi speeds drop dramatically. Can others give this a try as well? Setting the phone down on a table and running the speedtest produces acceptable results. Once I grab the top of the phone though (e.g: holding the phone in landscape mode) the speeds drop very low. Definitely seems to be yet another antenna issue, but I'm curious to know if it affects everyone. Can anyone try this and report back?

playtillyadrop

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
i'm pretty sure this a software issue. With my ipad 3 on ios 5 i was getting really good wifi speeds and since updating to ios 6 its really slow and unstable. I have the same problem with the iphone 5 wifi is really slow. As someone mentioned on this board if you turn lte off while using wifi, you get normal speeds and is alot more stable. Hopefully they pick up on this and fix it asap. Downloading apps on wifi was painful but since turning lte off everything is normal again.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
This morning, I was seeing sporadic results (10-24Mbps) with the iPhone5 for the default Speedtest.net location. That might not seem bad, but this is FiOS service where I normally get 81-83Mbps on Speedtest.net with a wired network connection and 30-40Mbps via wireless on my iPhone4S. These results are with the Verizon-provided Actiontec MI-424WR (Rev.I) 2.4GHz 802.11n router.

This afternoon, I found that I could get more consistent results in the 25-30Mbps range with the iPhone 5 when using the NY Speedtest.net location rather than the default location.

This evening, I swapped out my Verizon-provided router with the widely recommended Asus RT-N66U wireless router. This router provides separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks for different devices. Here's my iPhone5 Speedtest.net result to the NY Speedtest.net server using the new router.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 17,675
Last edited:

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Here is a shot showing more iPhone WiFi results from around my home.

These results were all recorded on the NY Speedtest.net server with the Asus RT-N66U router (5GHz network).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 17,419

RyanTheGeneral

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Really quick- does anybody think this could also be a misread by speedtest also? I hear huffington post is good test site. And ign I figure because of the graphics. My speed test after i tried turning off LTE actually dropped to about 1mb/d if that much but going on both sites loaded very quickly.

Anyone think it could also be a false read?

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Tried my iPhone 5 in 3 separate locations with WIFI. All performing extremely slow. Just trying to download a simple app for the App Store takes minutes to download, then loses connection.

Looks like I'm off to the Verizon Store to exchange this beast out.

RIP Steve Jobs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.