Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
For a while now i have been preparing for the opening of my boba cafe in my little city, one of my focuses of the business was to make it very mac friendly as there is not a very huge mac using public, but its growing. I really want to use 2 iMac g4's for my registers, but im having a bit of a problem with hardware and software to run everything with.

I've found 6th sense cafe, tried it a bit, cant really try other hardware like receipt machines and cash boxes as i havent bought them yet. But does anyone have any sort of experience with macs as a pos machine. I'd really hate to use a windows machine to handle my pos because it would be detrimental to the image i want for the place. But i want the best solution possible. Any comments? Suggestions?

Maybe this is a hardware issue? Mods feel free to move.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
In a foodservice establishment, you will need a Point of Sale solution that is extremely durable. My guess is that the iMac might be too fragile for foodservice since you run the risk of spilling coffee, etc... on your machines. However, I have seen Mac POS systems work great for retail locations.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
tangerineyum said:
I'd really hate to use a windows machine to handle my pos because it would be detrimental to the image i want for the place. But i want the best solution possible. Any comments? Suggestions?
iMac and VPC? A bit convoluted but maybe the best of both worlds. You could keep the look and be able to run both types of POS software. There is a larger selection of Windows POS apps so you have a range of budgets. Adding VPC might be too expensive though.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
hey,

i was looking into opening a lil' cafe too a couple of months back. one product i liked was PayGo POS. They sell you the WHOLE solution if you want (scanners, printers, etc) or just certain bits. it's up to you..

http://www.paygopos.com/

hope this helps :)

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
thanks for the suggestions everyone, im downloading paygo right now. And it was the Apple retail solutions page where i found 6th sense. I'll keep u updated. I'll have to find a way to reward all my "business consultants". :)

tobeman

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
PayGo Pos

Not liking Paygo so much. Anyone have any other recommendations? Anyone ever use a Mac Pos machine ?

Speaking as a user of PayGo software, my advice is to look elsewhere. This company has extremely high annual upgrade and maintenance fees that you MUST purchase. So you might think you done by purchasing the software, receipt printers etc...but they keep charging you over $700USD annually for support.

There are lots of other POS software programs out there now for the Mac and I'm sure this will continue. So keep looking ... you can get better stuff/

mendocinotwist

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
paygo pos

hi we have been struggling with paygo for way too long. i'm not sure what is worse, the software or the support. i also agree with the previous post regarding the excessive costs for maintenance, support and upgrades. i would love to hear about mac pos systems that people actually like as i am tired of throwing good money after bad! has anyone tried xsilva ligtspeed? i've heard it's a good one???

OrganMusic

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Chicago
The store I bought both my Macs from (The Mac Shop, Madison WI) was running a G4 iMac POS, but I couldn't tell you what system. I thought it was kind of cool, though.

userbadboymc

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
ummm... not necessarily but if he/she is then they will be very glad to have a helpful response after 4 years :)

n0fx

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
Has anyone got an update for any good POS systems for Mac? I'm looking for one for a friend who runs a small cafe. I need one with a customizable menu to make drinks and food.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.