Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

808geek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
California
Searched the forums to try and find an answer and only came across the one for Verizon carrier yesterday. Read it and it doesn't work for me.

When I try to get into my voicemail for set up it prompts for a voice mailbox number. I enter my cell number with area code. Doesn't work. Setting a voicemail password under phone settings doesn't show up either. I called 611 to see if I could set it up through there and still the same thing, can't get to the prompts to set up a new voicemail box.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Searched the forums to try and find an answer and only came across the one for Verizon carrier yesterday. Read it and it doesn't work for me.

When I try to get into my voicemail for set up it prompts for a voice mailbox number. I enter my cell number with area code. Doesn't work. Setting a voicemail password under phone settings doesn't show up either. I called 611 to see if I could set it up through there and still the same thing, can't get to the prompts to set up a new voicemail box.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

If your 5 is an upgrade from an earlier iPhone, you at one point set a 4 digit voicemail password. It's not your phone number, but some other 4 digit code.

808geek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
California
If your 5 is an upgrade from an earlier iPhone, you at one point set a 4 digit voicemail password. It's not your phone number, but some other 4 digit code.
Correct I did. When I click on voicemail it calls and says it needs more info and if I want to leave a message to enter the 10 digit number of the person I want to call. Or to click # and enter voicemail box number. So I tried my passcode this time, still doesn't work.

I have a feeling when Best Buy did the upgrade for me this morning they may have entered the wrong code on my existing plan. Just a thought, it may not have any effect on it.

----------

Just another add on. I can't access my voicemail at all and when I call my cell number, I can't leave a message either. It just gives a busy signal and then hangs up. So a little stumped on what happened to my voicemail completely. Pretty sure I'll have to call AT&T on this one.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Correct I did. When I click on voicemail it calls and says it needs more info and if I want to leave a message to enter the 10 digit number of the person I want to call. Or to click # and enter voicemail box number. So I tried my passcode this time, still doesn't work.

I have a feeling when Best Buy did the upgrade for me this morning they may have entered the wrong code on my existing plan. Just a thought, it may not have any effect on it.

----------

Just another add on. I can't access my voicemail at all and when I call my cell number, I can't leave a message either. It just gives a busy signal and then hangs up. So a little stumped on what happened to my voicemail completely. Pretty sure I'll have to call AT&T on this one.

Call AT&T. When my wife got her iP4S, she couldn't remember her passcode, but I ended up guessing the correct number. The next solution is to have AT&T tell you what it is.

808geek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
California
Called AT&T and took about 30 mins but got it all sorted out. It ended up being an issue with my data plan.

I'm on the old 200MB for $15 bucks and when Best Buy did the upgrade it didn't go through as keep that plan with voicemail. Not sure if that was even an option on Best Buy's screen or just an oversight.

They said I would need to upgrade to the 300MB at $20 bucks a month. I said as an existing customer why can't I keep my existing plan? So she put me on hold and came back and said yes we can do that for you.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2004
use the ? in the voicemail.it'll call att. Choose the option for voicemail issues. there's another option to reset voicemail pin. It'll send it to your phone via text. then launch your vm on the phone, you'll get a new screen telling you to setup your vm. Once you input the new pin you got, your vm will work again.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
My issue is the following after migrating from a 4S and restored from a backup

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 572

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
The first voice mail I received asked for my password. At first I did not remember it was the AT&T voice mail password. After entering an incorrect password it said to use the AT&T password. All is well.

eezing

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Fix: call your phone from your phone and end the call when you get the automated system. Go to voicemail and the password prompt will pop up. Enter password, go to dial screen and then back to voicemail.

mlsusa

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I had this same problem (when going to voicemail for the first time it went to my audio voicemail instead of visual voicemail). I was able to fix it on my own by going to Settings -> Phone -> SIM PIN. It prompted me for my voicemail password and after I entered it, visual voicemail reappeared.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my carrier is AT&T.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Fix: call your phone from your phone and end the call when you get the automated system. Go to voicemail and the password prompt will pop up. Enter password, go to dial screen and then back to voicemail.

I had this same problem (when going to voicemail for the first time it went to my audio voicemail instead of visual voicemail). I was able to fix it on my own by going to Settings -> Phone -> SIM PIN. It prompted me for my voicemail password and after I entered it, visual voicemail reappeared.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my carrier is AT&T.

I use AT&T and neither of these fixes helped. I do not get a prompt for a password. :(

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Got the same issue. Preordered my phone from AT&T. Activation went fine but get the same dialing voicemail instead of it just asking for my PIN like every other time I've changed phones.

purrple

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
visual voicemail

had same issue with AT&T
had to call and she got it going
BETTER NOT get charged for this!!!
unlimited data plan says something else now also, she ASSURED me it was still unlimited.Better check everything!!!They had added insurance, road side assistance and numerous other things and I told her NUMEROUS times I wanted NOTHING to change.:mad:
Had many issues, still trying to get it ALL worked out.
What makes me mad is I have been with this company since 1991 and had to pay $700+ for phone
Seems they punish their loyal customers.

LyricalMenace

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
I had the same problem last night.

I went to AT&T live chat to fix the problem. The lady looked into my account I had Unlimited LTE plan without visual voicemail setup.

She switched it for me to Unlimited LTE with visual voicemail. Turned off the phone and turned back on. Dialed 1 for voicemail and setup my account.

jcastillo20059

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I had the same problem last night.

I went to AT&T live chat to fix the problem. The lady looked into my account I had Unlimited LTE plan without visual voicemail setup.

She switched it for me to Unlimited LTE with visual voicemail. Turned off the phone and turned back on. Dialed 1 for voicemail and setup my account.

Had this done and now I lost my Unlimited plan!! I am having them open up a case so I really hope they can fix this.

LyricalMenace

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Had this done and now I lost my Unlimited plan!! I am having them open up a case so I really hope they can fix this.

I made sure to specifically request my unlimited data not to be changed while the voicemail was updated.

I am sure you will be fine just make sure to notify them ASAP to get it resolved.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Called AT&T and took about 30 mins but got it all sorted out. It ended up being an issue with my data plan.

I'm on the old 200MB for $15 bucks and when Best Buy did the upgrade it didn't go through as keep that plan with voicemail. Not sure if that was even an option on Best Buy's screen or just an oversight.

They said I would need to upgrade to the 300MB at $20 bucks a month. I said as an existing customer why can't I keep my existing plan? So she put me on hold and came back and said yes we can do that for you.

Great. Glad you got it worked out. You might consider marking the read as "Resolved," though, as many are still commenting and contributing despite you having found a solution.

jcastillo20059

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I made sure to specifically request my unlimited data not to be changed while the voicemail was updated.

I am sure you will be fine just make sure to notify them ASAP to get it resolved.

I did the *DATA# Before I made the call to get my Voicemail reset and as soon as I saw that they took off my unlimited I did it again and it showed I got bumped down to 3Gb so as soon as I saw it happened I called back to open up a case, the lady informed me that I did nothing wrong and that the previous person didn't do it correctly and she would gladly open up a case with detailed notes stating that I did not request it and since it was a weekend there was nothing she can do but she assured me that everything would be taken care of by the second of October and I'm not worried either but just make sure I took a screen shot of both text messages showing the time of the text showing that within 5 minutes my unlimited plan was removed.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
So I called AT&T and I already did have visual voicemail setupon my account. So, the guy called and left me a voicemail and bam, the enter voicemail password box popped up. Put it in and all is good. So you might try having someone leave you a voicemail also. If you're like me it's not like you get voicemails every day with texting and email available instead.

sr1313

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
Initial problem:
I clicked the voicemail button, it called a number which prompted me to leave a message for someone or press something if I have a mailbox on the system. I entered my 10 digit number, didn't work. Entered every other combo of numbers I could think of, didn't work. Called AT&T tech support and they were unable to fix it; I hung up after 30 minutes waiting on hold to be helped by a supervisor.

Current problem:
36 hours later, I clicked the voicemail button and it connected me to the non visual voicemail line. I don't know if it was just time that made the difference or AT&T did something after I hung up. I was able to create my personal greeting (so at least people can leave me messages now.) Rebooted the phone, no luck with visual voicemail. Will probably go into the AT&T store or Best Buy to see if they can fix it in person.

bhett00

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Finally Resolved

Been messing with this for two weeks and 5 different ATT reps. Its actually an application, Onavo Extend. The solution: Disable the Onavo app, or delete the profile. Had it on two phones.

These errors were going hand in hand with MMS errors and group messaging errors.

Hopefully that helps out quite a few people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.