Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knifey-Spoony

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
How do you transfer photos back to the iPhone's camera roll? When I use iTunes it will put the photos in a Photo Library folder, but i want it all in the camera roll. Any ideas on how I can do this besides emailing myself the photos?

Thanks

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
How do you transfer photos back to the iPhone's camera roll? When I use iTunes it will put the photos in a Photo Library folder, but i want it all in the camera roll. Any ideas on how I can do this besides emailing myself the photos?

Thanks

When I backed up and then restored from backup all of my pics were back on the camera roll.

MacPod

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
You could use photostream to get them onto the iPhone, then save them in your camera roll.

Knifey-Spoony

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
When I backed up and then restored from backup all of my pics were back on the camera roll.

Yeah I can't restore from my backup because it's a little messed up, it causes really weird issue with my network, iMessage, personal hotspot and notifications so I had to to restore to it's factory settings.

MacPod

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Yeah I can't restore from my backup because it's a little messed up, it causes really weird issue with my network, iMessage, personal hotspot and notifications so I had to to restore to it's factory settings.

In that case, you can Reset All Settings, which will reset all of that, but leave your data.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008

If you use DropBox, get the Camera Sync app

Knifey-Spoony

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Resetting all Settings doesn't fix my issues unfortunately, I've tried multiple solutions but nothing fixes it.

I'll take a look at CamerSync, but I'm not too thrilled about uploading over 6GBs of photos and videos and then downloading it back to my device. If there's a method to transfer the photos over usb, that would be ideal.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac? On Windows, if you connect the iPhone via USB and have at least one photo in the camera roll, it will mount the iPhone as a camera device. The camera roll is visible as a folder under /DCIM on this device. You can drag and drop your pictures to this folder in Explorer. Not sure how this works with Mac OS.

iBaloney

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac? On Windows, if you connect the iPhone via USB and have at least one photo in the camera roll, it will mount the iPhone as a camera device. The camera roll is visible as a folder under /DCIM on this device. You can drag and drop your pictures to this folder in Explorer. Not sure how this works with Mac OS.

When i plug in my iphone to my PC, my iphone's name shows up in "my computer" but when i access it, it doesnt show a camera roll folder, it just shows all of my photos on my phone.

ALso, i can drag and drop photos from my iphone to my PC, but not the other way around :(

----------

actually, came across this. Kinda reluctant to try it, can anyone vouch for this software?

Clayton2

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
As far as I know, you can't sync photos back to camera roll, but you can transfer photos from PC to iPhone's photo library.
  1. Connect the device to your computer using a USB cable.
  2. Select the device and then “Photos” option on the left sidebar.
  3. Check the “Sync Photos from” option, then choose to sync “All folders” or “Selected folders“.
  4. Click the “Done” button, then click “Apply“. iTunes will then transfer your photos over to your Apple device.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Use an app (for Mac/PC and iPhone) called Photo Transfer (it's free). You can select the Camera Roll and dump your photos in there. It does it in original resolution as well. iTunes sync always optimizes (makes files smaller) when you sync to your iPhone (not sure why Apple doesn't give us the option).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.