Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frocktar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Hi all, got two iPhone 5's on friday, one for me, one for wifey, both keep dropping wifi. Sometimes either takes a few hours, or if i just move out of wifi area it wont connect again.

anyone else got issues, seems strange that both do it.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
my iphone hold wifi way better than my old lg android but yeah it drops now and then though it really depends on a lot of things all my housemates complain from weak wifi aswell

btw my macbook holds like a champ with full signal

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
My Iphone 5 has been dropping Wifi and switching to 4g

Sometimes when I unlock the phone the Wifi is working and sometimes its on 4G cellular data. Even when iam right next to the Wifi base station.

I have to go into setting and manually turn the wifi back on.

Its annoying, been trying everything to make it stop.

Frocktar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Ive tried reseting network connections on both phones and reseting the wifi router, both keep dropping it or not reconnecting. Its rather annoying :)

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Tried forgetting network and then logging into network anew? Or is that what you meant by resetting network connections on both iPhones?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I suspect my new iphone 5 of causing my wireless to crash about every 20 minutes or so. I'm on it now with wifi turned off on my phone. I'm going to see if it crashes again.

Frocktar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
No, i hadnt tried that. I actually done the full network reset, by going to 'setting/general/reset/reset network connections'

Weird, cant seem to find 'forget network' in there, has it been removed in ios6??

misterjay

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
hey guys.

i'm having this problem again

all i did was "reset network settings", working so far.

kwstump

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
If it works on other apple devices your iPhone needs replaced at apple. I had that problem yesterday and the replacement phone is working awesome on wifi! In my case Bluetooth was also affected(poor range)

misterjay

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
If it works on other apple devices your iPhone needs replaced at apple. I had that problem yesterday and the replacement phone is working awesome on wifi! In my case Bluetooth was also affected(poor range)

Hi KW, they will replace the phone if it is having this problem? what if it suddenly decides to 'work' over there?

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
taking for forever to get my music DL from music match on cloud via wifi.. best I can tell looks be copying files really quickly and then all sudden comes to a hail. :confused:

kwstump

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Hi KW, they will replace the phone if it is having this problem? what if it suddenly decides to 'work' over there?

I told them the problem I was having and they made me a genius apt to get it replaced. No problem what so ever

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
No, i hadnt tried that. I actually done the full network reset, by going to 'setting/general/reset/reset network connections'

Weird, cant seem to find 'forget network' in there, has it been removed in ios6??

Settings > Wi-Fi > Name of your network > Blue Arrow at right > Forget this Network (immediate top of page)

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

It worked before and sometimes it connects then cuts out and stops receiving data all of a sudden.
I dont think its a hardware problem but most likely a software issue that needs an update from Apple.
If for every glitch we ran to Apple for a replacement I'd have to move in there:D

Frocktar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
yeah i know, i can connect and then it shows, but then it just eventually disconnects again. Plus the forget network isnt htere on the i5, it is on the i4 on ios6 though

jmlee523

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
iphone keep dropping wifi and keeps asking for password!

My I phone 5 keeps dropping the wifi connection. Then when I go to reconnect it keeps asking for the password again as if I'm connecting for the first time. I tried the resetting of all network hardware, hard reset of the iphone itself. It seems to have varying lengths of time before it drops the connection with varying wifi connections, i.e. different routers with different services. At work it seemed to work after I reset all the network hardware, but at home it keeps the connection for about 10-20 minutes and then it's back to reconnecting and reentering the password. I have an Ipad 3, iPod 4th gen, 3 Macbook Pros (the new retina, 2yr old 17 inch, and 3yr old 15 inch). All these devices work great with my router. I never had a problem with the router itself only problems with Comcast internet service on a very seldom intermittent basis. I have updated all iOS devices to the new iOS6 and the only one having problems is the iPhone 5. This leads me to believe that either this is a hardware issue in the new iPhone, or some sort of software issue related to iphone 5 specific hardware. Maybe some sort of driver for new hardware only the iphone 5 has. Hopefully, it's a bug in the software and will be addressed in an upcoming update. I hate going and making an appointment with the "Genius" bar and going to the store. The whole reason I am a big fan of apple products is their reliability and ingenuity. The only times that I had apple products fail on me were when I had older iPods 2-3 years old. That I can understand but when you purchase what basically turns out to be a $1000 phone, I expect much more. I spend this money because their products make my life easier and more productive, but if I have to enter a password 20 times a day, it makes my blood boil. I think this problem is common enough to where it apple will make some sort of announcement and address the issue. :mad:

Mbechard

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Same exact issue as jmlee523. Works, then drops wireless and then asks for password with new iPhone 5 running iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.