Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chukkar

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2011
I can confirm the eBay unlocks work on the AT&T iPhone 5. I entered my request yesterday and got confirmation today. I popped in a trimmed tmobile sim and it works.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
i wish there was one available for Rogers in canada.. i might need it next year

I wanted to make sure , because a friend is purchasing one from here ( the states) and want to use it overseas on a GSM network, I told him just buy an At&T and unlock it

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
You never know when Apple will relock the phones on you in the future. I would recommend get a verizon iphone 5 which is unlocked.

Edit: On second thought get the phone that has a native LTE band and if it ends up being the AT&T version then use ebay unlocks and pray apple does not mess around with iphone 5 that are not factory unlock since they have not even started selling factory unlocked.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Yes, I can. I did this yesterday. It was $16.88, and a few hours later, I received an email, I restored and I got the "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked" screen. I can say, this worked, 100%. Unlocked iPhone 5.

Here's the link for the one I used...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/160887533503?item=160887533503&ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I just have a question before I do this... why does this work? How come this guy has the "power" to do this? Seems so awesome but almost too good to be true...

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I just have a question before I do this... why does this work? How come this guy has the "power" to do this? Seems so awesome but almost too good to be true...

I can't answer that, because I don't know. All I know is, it worked for me.

thefreeagent

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
New Mexico
Worked for me today

And I bought it through unlockfusion on eBay. Took less than 2 hours, and I just restored and got the "Congratulations! Your iPhone is unlocked" message. Sweet!
15 bucks well spent, IMO.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010

Smart guy with a hack or inside knowledge.

As said, who knows if the carrier pushes a LOCK back to your phone at some point.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2011
May consider trying one of these eBay auctions this time one I actually get my iPhone 5. I hate waiting

tendsc

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I purchased the Gevey IMEI unlock on Friday afternoon ... order status says complete but I've tried connecting the phone to iTunes, did the backup, and then did the restore, and I haven't gotten a congratulations your phone is unlocked message yet. :(

misterjay

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
CONFIRMED.

Got two iPhone 5 for AT&T unlocked and another iPhone 4 replacement whom AT&T wouldnt unlock so I went ahead used unlock_fusion.

Works ace, can confirm that T-mobile works on iPhone 5 (had to size it down to the nano sim), also Straight talk aswell.

ultravioletfly

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
While the system updated probably.
Where you using a Tmobile sim and then it stopped working? How did you know it locked again?

It was unlocked properly late last week. Out of curiosity, I ran the number through the IMEI checker sites early this week, and they suddenly changed to locked. Then I read a bunch of other people here experienced the same thing (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1398957/). Stupidly, I restored the phone, and of course, didn't get the Congrats message, indicating that the phone was need relocked. It took a couple days of emailing unlock_fusion to get it unlocked again.

Kind of paranoid about it now, as it doesn't seem to be exactly permanent.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It was unlocked properly late last week. Out of curiosity, I ran the number through the IMEI checker sites early this week, and they suddenly changed to locked. Then I read a bunch of other people here experienced the same thing (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1398957/). Stupidly, I restored the phone, and of course, didn't get the Congrats message, indicating that the phone was need relocked. It took a couple days of emailing unlock_fusion to get it unlocked again.

Kind of paranoid about it now, as it doesn't seem to be exactly permanent.

Oh, so that was for a 4S?
I know it doesnt happen all the time and usually once its unlocked its good for life.
Something to do with AT&T updating their system or similar. I hear you, it does suck having to worry about it.
My iphone 5 seems to be unlocked still knock on wood:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.