Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superjew1492

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
6 down isn't bad speeds.

I paid a lot to upgrade from a 4s for speed. I'm on 4g now getting worse speeds than I was getting on my 4s in the dog park. even at 6 that's not good. less than double speed is the the ten fold increase I expected, the 15 fold increase Verizon gets in the same area.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
In my opinion verizon is best for lte. Usually friends with AT&T get a slow download speeds while verizon is blazing by. At least in Los Angeles areas.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
In Monterey Park near 10 fwy and Garfield, got 30 down and 17 up indoor with Verizon.

----------

It seems like the more congested areas are experiencing slower than expected speeds. Based upon past posts about AT&T's network I don't think this is all that surprising. I am glad I switched to Verizon.

Paid much more monthly to switch from AT&T to Verizon, but its all worth it.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I'm in Simi Valley.

I called the AT&T store (who knows how reliable it is, but figured I'd try) to ask if they had any information about the LTE rollout in the SF Valley and Simi Valley. I was told Spring 2013.

If anyone else hears about the anticipated rollout please post here. :)

vertigomhs

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
i was able to pull this at Pasadena City College:

C3lph.png

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
I'm in Simi Valley.

I called the AT&T store (who knows how reliable it is, but figured I'd try) to ask if they had any information about the LTE rollout in the SF Valley and Simi Valley. I was told Spring 2013.

If anyone else hears about the anticipated rollout please post here. :)

I'm going to give AT&T a call soon just to be sure I've got LTE on my plan, since my portal online is just showing a generic phone icon. And I'll ask them too about LTE in those areas.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
The below is on AT&T:

The coverage map for Los Angeles, CA is also quite inaccurate. It shows Monterey Park, CA 91754 having coverage which in fact there are a handful of sites with LTE on them and not the entire city like the map shows. The same for VZW it shows my house covered but no LTE. I at least get 1 bar of LTE on AT&T when I am upstairs of my house near the Monterey Park Hospital.

Also, the best speed I got in Pasadena, CA outside of the Apple Store was 17.56 mbps down & 6.11 mbps up. Otherwise I have been averaging about 9 mbps down and 6 mbps up in Alhambra, San Marino, Pasadena, Monterey Park.

biglipps66

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Calabasas area earlier today 30/19. The coverage on this phone has been by far better than the android phones I've had. Pretty happy so far!

BuckDot

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Verizon LTE in LA simply rocks. I go anywhere and I consistently get 15-30 mpbs down and a 10-20 mbps up. It's not about finding the "sweet spot," it's literally everywhere.

tired

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Calabasas area earlier today 30/19. The coverage on this phone has been by far better than the android phones I've had. Pretty happy so far!

Nice! Hopefully I get decent speeds when I am at work in Westlake Village.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
The reason why AT&T users in LA are experiencing slow LTE speeds is because AT&T only has 5Mhz LTE channels deployed in LA vs Verizon that has 10Mhz.

5Mhz channel = up to 37mbps per cell site sector.
10Mhz Channel = 73mbps per cell site sector.

Now iPhone has barely been out and AT&T users are already hating life, imagine how's it gonna be in 3 months...

On the other hand Verizon's 73mbps sectors are gonna be just fine for at least a year.

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
You're not going to notice a difference between 10mbps and 30mbps ON YOUR IPHONE. Seriously people, get a grip.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I paid a lot to upgrade from a 4s for speed. I'm on 4g now getting worse speeds than I was getting on my 4s in the dog park. even at 6 that's not good. less than double speed is the the ten fold increase I expected, the 15 fold increase Verizon gets in the same area.

Speed tests don't show the real story anyway.

The point is are you able to access data and perform functions well?

When I had my AT&T 4S I compared VZW LTE devices and with side by side comparisons there wasn't much difference between the two. Ok VZW LTE loaded up NY Times full desk top version a second or 2 faster. Nothing to write home about. Although speedtest app showed VZW to be faster you can't see a difference.

Now I have apples to apples to compare; AT&T iPhone 5 versus VZW iPhone 5. Side by side comparison you can't tell the difference. Using the speedtest app sometimes AT&T is faster and sometimes VZW is faster. Both carriers go in and out of LTE to AT&T '4G' or VZW 3G. When this happened the you can tell the difference because AT&T '4G' noticebly performs better than VZW '3G'. Otherwise both LTE networks you can't notice a difference with side by side comparison.

People like to get into pissing contests about their speed test results but they don't really show the real story in real life uses.

What's important is does your iPhone 5 perform when needed?

Stop doing speed tests and enjoy your iPhone 5. Now if data sucks that you can't use your iPhone 5 then a different story, find a carrier that works in your area.

(note the above is dependent on the area of course. My experience is in the Philadelphia area/South Jersey)

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
Took my friend to AT&T in Costa Mesa to show him the amazing LTE speeds on the new iPhone.

Only to get 5Mbps down. :( His 4S matched that with HSPA. Now he's not impressed with LTE. :eek:

diversity83

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
You're not going to notice a difference between 10mbps and 30mbps ON YOUR IPHONE. Seriously people, get a grip.

LOL! I agree! Oh, and I would rather be "unnoticeably" slower and have voice + data simultaneous use thanks to HSPA+. :D

Guys/gals, at the end of the day, it's about coverage. Speed will improve over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.