Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Hi there

Just wondering if anyone knows if Facetime video chats can be Airplay-ed to an Apple TV with iOS6 on an iPhone 4? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so guessing it doesn't work but hoping it might.

...also does anyone know if this would be possible on an iPhone 5? I like video chats- mainly Skype though- and would love to be able to send it to the TV (but don't have an iPad so can't use that instead)

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Streaming/airplay from the 4 only does music, no screen mirroring. With the 5 I'm pretty sure mirroring is a capability.

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Streaming/airplay from the 4 only does music, no screen mirroring. With the 5 I'm pretty sure mirroring is a capability.

I have a 4 and I stream video to my ATV all the time. Usually depends on the app. Some video players in websites can be streamed as well

alphacrust

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
Bit of a counterproductive task anyway...

In theory if you're using Facetime you're looking into the camera lens on the idevice. You can't really look at the TV at the same time!

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Bit of a counterproductive task anyway...

In theory if you're using Facetime you're looking into the camera lens on the idevice. You can't really look at the TV at the same time!

I only ask because you can- if you placed the iDevice in front of the TV it would work like the built-in camera on a laptop or iMac (just at the bottom rather than the top).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.