Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alan7467

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
How frequently is yours acting up? I noticed the flicker several times yesterday. Mine only had the one episode today (albeit a pretty severe one).

My theory had been that the flicker would appear in periods of heavy use. However, I tried to replicate the problem this evening and couldn't. I used the GPS, watched some videos, made a 30 minute phone call, watched some more videos, and visited some web pages. About two hours of continuous use and no flicker. That is why I am kind of on the fence about sending it back right away.

Mine was doing it almost non stop after I set it up yesterday (and during and after a recovery to try to fix it). Today I've only seen a little blip here or there, but I also haven't been using it much. Same as you I've tried to replicate what causes the problem, but haven't had much luck. The one thing that I did do when I first got the phone was get it warm from charging while syncing with iTunes. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. In that case this is probably a problem with the CPU/GPU.

In addition to the flickering issue I've got a big dead pixel (might be something in the screen actually) and 5-6 stuck pixels. I'm getting mine replaced even if the flickering goes away.

Cardsfan85

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Mine was doing it almost non stop after I set it up yesterday (and during and after a recovery to try to fix it). Today I've only seen a little blip here or there, but I also haven't been using it much. Same as you I've tried to replicate what causes the problem, but haven't had much luck. The one thing that I did do when I first got the phone was get it warm from charging while syncing with iTunes. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. In that case this is probably a problem with the CPU/GPU.

In addition to the flickering issue I've got a big dead pixel (might be something in the screen actually) and 5-6 stuck pixels. I'm getting mine replaced even if the flickering goes away.

Interesting. My first episode of serious flickering also came after syncing with iTunes. I had just copied all of my apps over, and was trying to watch a video, while I was still charging. Mine was probably pretty warm too at that moment.

nostylez

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
That is not why I am sure if my problem is the same or not. My situation is not limited to the App Store app. In fact I have never noticed it there.

On two occasions, my display went into full blown cardiac arrest mode. Yesterday I was watching a highlight reel on the MLB At Bat app. All of a sudden the whole screen started shaking. I stopped the video and the display continued to shake. The entire home screen was flickering. I powered off and on, but the problem continued. After a few minutes of non use, it stopped. I noticed flickering off and on throughout the day yesterday, but nothing as severe. The flicker would only last for a second or two.

Today my phone had been perfect until a I watched a long YouTube video. Then it did the same thing. The whole display started spazzing out again. I powered off and on to no avail. When it was booting up, even the white Apple logo was shaking. After a few minutes of non use, it stopped.

I have been trying to replicate the problem this evening but can't seem to. If it is a hardware issue, I would like to get the thing sent back. I don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back though if it is a software issue.

Not sure what to do at this point.

That does not look good,
I think it might be best to get it looked at.
So far it has only happened to me twice and both happened purchasing an app when asking for a pw and both flickering line across the keyboard.

----------

I've put HD digital copy of Avengers on my phone I'll let it run and see if I come across any issues.
I have been watching videos, youtube quite often to test the phone and have not come across the flickering issue, mine seems to be isolated to the app store which has occurred twice.

Cardsfan85

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
That does not look good,
I think it might be best to get it looked at.
So far it has only happened to me twice and both happened purchasing an app when asking for a pw and both flickering line across the keyboard.

----------

I've put HD digital copy of Avengers on my phone I'll let it run and see if I come across any issues.
I have been watching videos, youtube quite often to test the phone and have not come across the flickering issue, mine seems to be isolated to the app store which has occurred twice.

Unfortunately, I am hours from the nearest Apple Store, so my only option is to ship it back and wait for a replacement.

As concerning as the the instances of flicker were, it is rare. I tried tonight to make it happen and couldn't. I used the GPS, made a 30 minute phone call, surfed the web, and played hours of video with no sign of flicker.

I may wait another day or two and see what happens before I make a decision on how to proceed.

el3ctone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Mine happened anywhere, not just app store, so it was a hardware issue. Took it to the Apple Store and they swapped me a new one with box. This one is also scuff-less.

srcstc

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Mine does it once in a while also. Seems like a hardware issue. Hardware issues are easy to fix... apple gives you a new phone.
I'm gonna wait a month or so for them to sort out the issue then I'll get it replaced.

wlperie

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Just took a photo of mine. Is this what is happening to you all?

http://m.flickr.com/photos/32673777@N06/8015892147/lightbox/

Cardsfan85

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012

There seems to be two varieties of this issue. Many people are reporting the exact same issue on the password screen as you demonstrate. The speculation seems to be that it is a software glitch.

A few folks, including myself, have experienced a much more severe issue where a large portion of the screen flickers, and it is not related to any particular application.

Cardsfan85

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
For those of you that are experiencing the more severe version of this where a large portion of the screen flickers and it is not related to any particular app, have you seen an improvement over time?

I had flicker problems right out of the box including the first time I tried to watch a video. Even powering the phone on and off didn't correct it. The whole screen would shake and everything was blurry. I continued to notice brief flickering frequently during the first hour or two of the phone's operation. It seemed like it would happen after I had been using the phone for 5 or 10 minutes, or if I did something resource intensive such as watching a video or playing a game.

Yesterday it seemed to stop. I purposely used my phone hard to try to get it to reoccur. I would use my phone continuously for an hour or more at a time just to try to replicate the flicker problem. I did get it to happen once.

Today, I used GPS navigation for 30 minutes, followed by watching videos, followed by syncing with iTunes and copying 16GB of music to my phone, followed by more videos, and couldn't replicate the problem. I purposely tried to do things that would require a lot of resources and get the phone hot.

I probably have about 10 total hours of use on my phone. I am guessing that I saw the flicker occur approx 20 times, and all but 1 occurrence happened in the first 1-2 hours of operation. I haven't had a single occurrence in the last 5 or so hours of operation.

I know that hardware problems don't typically resolve themselves, but is it wishful thinking to hope that it is some sort of a break-in issue on certain displays? I am curious if anyone else had a similar experience.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
This just happened on my iPhone 5 while downloading an app in the app store and having to put my password in. Hasnt done it any other time.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

That's exactly what mine looked like the one (and only) time I had it happen to me. Went away after entering the password and I haven't seen it since.

The full screen flicker others are experiencing, however, sounds like a hardware problem.

If I see it again, I'll try and grab a screenshot. If the flicker appears in the screen shot, then it is 100% software. If it doesn't, then it's inconclusive (could be hardware or software), but at least on the lines over the keyboard, since it happens on the same action for most everyone, and nowhere else, I'm almost sure that's just a software glitch.

wlperie

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
That's exactly what mine looked like the one (and only) time I had it happen to me. Went away after entering the password and I haven't seen it since.

The full screen flicker others are experiencing, however, sounds like a hardware problem.

If I see it again, I'll try and grab a screenshot. If the flicker appears in the screen shot, then it is 100% software. If it doesn't, then it's inconclusive (could be hardware or software), but at least on the lines over the keyboard, since it happens on the same action for most everyone, and nowhere else, I'm almost sure that's just a software glitch.

I tried grabbing a screenshot; flickering didn't show up. Had to take a pic w a separate camera.

appletwig

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
Same thing happening to my iphone 5. The moment i tried to take a screenshot, the flickering went away. It happens randomly only at password screen for the appstore. Are there any folks who have yet to encounter this problem after multiple app store password logins?

MMMalex

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
I had it happen about 10 minutes ago. Very minorly however. I was in the App Store and using search. The keyboard popped up and there was a very slight flickering line at the bottom of the 'uppercase/shift' button. When I closed the keyboard, it stopped.

This seems to be a software problem, and not a hardware one.

Mine has now happened like this

Gluedbarstool

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I just spoke with Apple. They informed me that this has only been reported ONCE even after I advised him hundreds of people on this forum have the same issue. He said it sounds like software, and advised the coworker, "Kyle," that reported the issue fixed this by settings-general-reset all settings, not delete, just reset. So far so good. Kyle can blow me

Last edited:

Cardsfan85

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I had the severe version of the flicker that affected the majority of the screen and wasn't limited to the App Store password screen. Sometimes mine would continue to flicker after it had been powered off and on.

The odd thing is that almost all of the flickering happened in the first hour or two of operation, and it gradually decreased in frequency. I haven't had any hint of the flicker since Saturday despite extensive usage.

I had been all set to demand a replacement, but now I am taking a wait and see approach. I figure that I will continue to monitor my phone and see if any new information comes to light on the root cause of the issue.

Did anyone else experience severe flicker right out of the box but then have it go away with a few hours of use?

Gluedbarstool

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I've had to take 2-3 iPhone 3GS's to apple store. They gave you a replacement instantly. It's really weird. They claim they are new but I've heard otherwise. Regardless, completely worth it if they have them in stock. Will att replace it for you??

WTF.iPhone5

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
same issue here

i have the same issues with my iphone 5 when downloading from the app store a brief flicker on my screen its seems to do it for everything i have downloaded its quick but noticeable (ala bad analog tv signal).

And i really dont wanna call apple right now and i know a replacement could be a month away the way things are going kinda disappointed coming back to apple and having problems literally out of the box

:(:(:(

got the exact same problem, what's going on, APPLE !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.