Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

Sneakyfox

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
England, UK
Is it just me or is anyone else noticing that the devices listed as being from F2, seem to be the more commonly "flawless" ones?

Seeing a lot of issues with C3 devices.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona

Thanks.

----------

Mine is black scuffed.
Production week: 35, 32gb and C3 factory...
Spoke to apple care yesterday and they asked for photo. They will send me replacement.

It's pretty interesting to see they're asking for photos. That says to me that they plan to do something. I don't mean changing the whole production line but maybe punching in the face all QC heads or something...

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Is it just me or is anyone else noticing that the devices listed as being from F2, seem to be the more commonly "flawless" ones?

Seeing a lot of issues with C3 devices.

I've noticed that too. The flawed ones also seem to be from earlier weeks as well, e.g. 33 and 35.

planethitsradio

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Ottawa, ON
think you are crazy.. that really is nothing

----------

Production week: 36 (September)

was flawless out of the box...

has held up well with heavy useage and no case.. no scuffs yet

Mine is production week 36 as well.
Two nicks on the left side of the phone, underneath the volume buttons, right out of the box :(

So it looks like it can be hit and miss.

bvlgari

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
At this point I might end up going to Foxconn and make my own iPhone 5.

me to :D:D

----------

Name: iPhone 5
ModelCode: iphone_5
Model Number: MD299
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation: 7
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 36 (September)
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: C3 (China)

ijfry

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Both of my black F2 (week 36 September) and DN (week 34 August) devices have imperfections.

Scuffs on the DN and discolouration on the F2. The F2 is almost perfect except for the small, but quickly noticeable discolouration.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
if only that was possible. "Build your own iPhone kit," they ship you the parts and tools, and you assemble it.

----------

Both of my black F2 (week 36 September) and DN (week 34 August) devices have imperfections.

Scuffs on the DN and discolouration on the F2. The F2 is almost perfect except for the small, but quickly noticeable discolouration.

Can you post pictures of the discoloration? curious to see what this would look like.

macaronia

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2009
FYI

Name: iPhone 5
ModelCode: iphone_5
Model Number: MD299
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation: 7
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 37 (September)
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: C3 (China)

Scuffs on chamfer, scratches around the screen and blemishes on sides.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honestly debating telling apple i want a new phone in november once they get this issue resolved instead of going back and forth for replacements.

Cobalt`

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
I have plenty of stuff made from anodized aluminium, and it is easily scratched, in particular along edges. On tools, keys, flashlights it does not matter, who cares what they look like as long as they work. On items where looks are important, there I could see it becoming a problem. Usually their design avoids edges, though, so scratches are not so prevalent. Combining hard edges with anodized aluminum on an item intended for every-day-carry seems like a recipe for scuffing.

Most of the issues here are not scratching. They're like "nicks" or "dents", like they have bumped against another hard edge. Right out of the box even. For what you pay for, you should expect a perfect device. The aesthetic damage to it over time is understandable, but not right out of the box.

Last edited:

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Week 37, factory DN. scuffs on lower left corner on the front, scuffs around SIM ejector tool opening, scuffs on both bottom corners on the back, teeny tiny scuffs on top right corner on the back, and to top it off, a dent below the Apple logo. Oh, and the power button rattles. I'm calling tomorrow.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
there really seems to be zero correlation between production week, factory, and damage. More so luck of the draw.

ijfry

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
if only that was possible. "Build your own iPhone kit," they ship you the parts and tools, and you assemble it.

----------

Can you post pictures of the discoloration? curious to see what this would look like.

http://i.imgur.com/E9r1s.jpg

Here you go. It's what looks like a spec on the camera lens, but is right below that grey band on the aluminum sides.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.