Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

yoshimeow

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Let's just get this clear, both Black and White iPhone 5s suffer from the dents and scuffs fresh in the box

https://twitter.com/Nicole_Scooter/status/249256677189226496

The only difference is just that it is less noticeable on the white than black but it still IS noticeable

THat looks like it was nicked/dropped. Difference between white and black (i have one of each) is the anodized aluminum part. Yes they can both be chipped dinked and scratched but some uses are reporting the black is coming off the aluminum with normal wear amd use. That wont happen on the white one.

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
2ntb81g.png

NOTICE ANYTHING?

I'm actually more worried now to even swap this out(if I can) because some of the others are worse...

Are people really having the slate finish along the edges of the black model come off?

TheDLade

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
THat looks like it was nicked/dropped. Difference between white and black (i have one of each) is the anodized aluminum part. Yes they can both be chipped dinked and scratched but some uses are reporting the black is coming off the aluminum with normal wear amd use. That wont happen on the white one.

That's not what this topic is about and I don't even think that's true, it's about scuffs/nicks/ding/scratches out of the box that both Black and White iPhone 5s have.

Is the black coming off your phone?

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
I finally was able to get my black swapped for a white.

Here's how.

I finally got fed up and called apple to return my order. It was a web order so I called web sales.

Warning: I have a spare phone and was going to make the call then go to AT&T and activate the spare. Don't try to bluff apple. Be prepared to actually return the phone.

He asked what my issue was. I stated poor quality of the black phone and CS. He asked what happened, I explained. He said well I will send you a white one if nobody else will. And you can also have a free $120 pair of earphones or 3 or 4 lightning cables for your trouble

So my advice is don't go into the store or call AppleCare to swap. Call sales or go into the store to return the phone and take it from there.

They don't care and don't take you seriously unless you intend to actually return the phone. Period.

If 20% of people who receive a defective phone accept it that way, they saved 20% of otherwise scrapped stock.

yoshimeow

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
That's not what this topic is about and I don't even think that's true, it's about scuffs/nicks/ding/scratches out of the box that both Black and White iPhone 5s have.

Is the black coming off your phone?

If you are bored read this whole thread. Plenty of people complaining that with normal use its getting scuffed up. In fact that is one of the poll options. Scuffed shortly after. Also this topic covers phones that are easily scuffed or out of the box. If you look at the pics and issues people have reported here is how i see it

Dings/dents in the aluminum. Yea both phones can experience this but most of the original concerns and issues being reports is on the black phone where the chamfer edge meeds the side that the blk part is coming off. This wont happen on the white ones.

Both mine are fine right now but im extremely careful.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
I think their resistance to replace phones is a deliberate way of handling things. They are a business and a manufacturer.

They don't care and don't take you seriously unless you intend to actually return the phone. Period.

If 20% of people who receive a defective phone accept it that way, they saved 20% of otherwise scrapped stock.

bvlgari

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Damn, I have black IP5 and i so wanted black IP5. But now, I think I would swap it for a white one :confused:

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I had 2 noticeable markings on my phone out of the box. However, as other posters mentioned, I rubbed one of them with my fingernail and it disappeared. What I thought was a nick in the aluminum was actually glue. The other scuff (which is much less noticeable) is still there, but it doesn't bother me. Actually, I was obsessing over this when I was unboxing and all, but once I started using the phone, I forgot all about it.

Name: iPhone 5
ModelCode: iphone_5
Model Number: MD654
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation: 7
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 37 (September)
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn)

----------

Found this quite interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2BxL0nRDlY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Seems that the black iPhone is in some cases, sturdier than we may have thought.

I'm actually quite relieved to see that the rest of the aluminum on the phone phone (aside from the chamfered edge) is very durable and won't get scratched or damaged easily. Thanks for the link!

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
The black, scuffed-outta-box iPhone 5 might become a classic and sell for $100000 within 20 years for what I see.

Seriously, swapping to a white phone when you wanted black just because the black ones are defective is pretty lame. Return the phone and wait a couple of weeks to see if Apple has stated something or if the issue's been addressed. If not... well, then get a White if you want but I'll get a black anyway as I just don't like white phones.

I'm assuming here the most of you aren't "phoneless" people if you return your iPhone 5.

TheDLade

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
If you are bored read this whole thread. Plenty of people complaining that with normal use its getting scuffed up. In fact that is one of the poll options. Scuffed shortly after. Also this topic covers phones that are easily scuffed or out of the box. If you look at the pics and issues people have reported here is how i see it

Dings/dents in the aluminum. Yea both phones can experience this but most of the original concerns and issues being reports is on the black phone where the chamfer edge meeds the side that the blk part is coming off. This wont happen on the white ones.

Both mine are fine right now but im extremely careful.

Okay I see where you're coming from, I don't know if I should change to the white one but I don't like it as much as I like the black, I could call them tomorrow to change my order.

When an apple employee prefers black, you know for sure that that's the right colour, too bad the chamfer edge comes off easily :'(.

yoshimeow

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
After waiting on hold for 25 minutes, Apple Care told me that since I exchanged colors at the store, I would not be able to get an exchange through Apple Care without paying a deductible. She also sounded suspicious that I didn't cause the damage myself. So I guess I need to go state my case to an apple employee at the store. Inconvenient.

XxWestinxX

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Had something interesting happen today

Called in for a replacement which they set up for me

However they never asked for a credit card to put a hold on for the replacement

Has anyone else had them set up a replacement without asking for a card?

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
Had something interesting happen today

Called in for a replacement which they set up for me

However they never asked for a credit card to put a hold on for the replacement

Has anyone else had them set up a replacement without asking for a card?

Did you buy in store or online?

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
So far this is what we have / add to the list! we need Week/ Colour/ Factory location. Go here and put your serial number in

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Flawless.

Week 32 factory C3 (Black )

Week 32 Factory C3 (White)

Week 33 Factory C3 (White)

Week 33 Factory C3 (White)

Week 37, Factory F2 (Black)

Damaged.

Week 34 Factory F2

Week 34 Factory DN

Week 36

Week 36 Factory C3

Week 36 Factory ?

Week 37 Factory C3

Week 37 Factory DN

Week 37 (glue residue) Factory DN

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.