Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
Worked perfectly for me, thanks OP!

AT&T was very nice, credited my account right away and it's already showed up on my account online. Even sent me one of the AT&T text messages letting me know the change. Very nice.

ScousePete

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
I don't see an upgrade fee anywhere in my account online. Did I get lucky or do I have to wait until the end of my billing cycle?

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
Got the $250 credited last night. I only asked for one line because the other is up in November. Thanks AT&T. It took me several tries before it happened.

Hollow Man

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Connecticut
I'm speaking to them now, and they will only credit me for one of our two lines. Which is ok, but the fact they're trying to convince me they're doing me a favor (because my phones are "discounted" via my two year contract) is annoying as all get out.

-HM

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I called in today and asked about my two upgrade fees (one for me, one for my wife). I hadn't read this thread yet at the time, I was just curious as to how they were justifying charging us fees when all we were doing was switching handsets and re-starting our 2-year contracts on the same plans.

But before I said any of that (I just said "I have a question about the upgrade fees. . .") The support person said "Let me see if those fees are eligible to be waived. . ." 5 seconds goes by "They are! So I can go ahead and waive those for you!"

Saved me $72 (two fees) compared to if I had not called. Of course, in my opinion that $72 should never have been charged in the first place, but anyway, the phone call was worth my time.

(I should note that I have a corporate discount on my ATT iphone plans because my company has an agreement with them. The support person at ATT implied that the reason my fees were eligible to be waived was because of that corporate discount plan. It was news to me when I found this thread that apparently they are waiving the fees for everyone, regardless of any corporate discount. But I just mention this as a possible explanation as to why they waived BOTH my fees, and only seem to be waiving one of the two fees for others in this thread.)

LiarInGlass

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
Just did this, first time the Live Chat agent told me he couldn't waive the fee, so I tried again a few moments later and was credited $36.00 to my account.

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Screw the chat. I just called them and told them I needed this credit applied. Rep responded and said right away, please hold. No fuss. image.jpg

Includes taxes so its more than 72. Annoying how that have to make us do this dance every time we upgrade

Vivid5500

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Was able to get on the chat this afternoon. I officially upgraded my lines this morning so the fee didn't appear on my bill yet. However after I said I was off contract and didn't need an early upgrade fee, the customer rep said that he would apply a "callback" to the account and have the upgrade fees waived as soon as they appeared on my account.

Someone is supposed to be calling me when they appear so they can confirm that they are waived. So I guess it's not 100% done yet but should be once it appears on my bill.

indianboynyc

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
old news. there's a thread already I made regarding this and getting early upgrade with your Avon being discounted for 6 months so it balances out

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Out of curiosity has anyone who had the fees waived by live chat received any kind of confirmation by email or text that this was done?

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
i guess chat is not available right now? i only see chat for "international data".

All i can do is talk to Charlie :/

Scottgb

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Thank you to the OP, I was just able to get my fee waived also. :D

----------

Out of curiosity has anyone who had the fees waived by live chat received any kind of confirmation by email or text that this was done?

Yes, I just received an email confirmation of my chat session.

JohnRN

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Just got my refund a moment ago as well via the chat app. No fuss or hassle. I just told her I'm wanting my upgrade fee credited too my account. I'd hate to leave ATT for Verizon after all these years. She "checked" my account and said here's a one time courtesy credit. In two years I'm sure they will be giving me another "one time" courtesy credit. :)

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
Anyone with premier been able to do this via chat? They gave me a number and then I sat on hold.

And, which chat option did you select? Billing/payments says that live chat is not available for me.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Worked great. I recently added an iPad to the new mobile share plan and they tossed in one of their "activation fees". They were very prompt in removing it over chat. Like some others it was characterized as a "one time" option. We'll see :)

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I am chatting with an agent now. I asked if I was charged this fee on 2 lines because I did my upgrades online. I was getting the unavailable message. I clicked around a bit more and got the other chat link I had seen on the right side and then it worked. Hopefully they will give me a credit for them. Before the iPhone 5 announcement, 5 of my 6 lines were off contract. I certainly didn't have to stay with AT&T...

Edit: Update with agent response...
Agent: These are actually standard charges for all customers eligible for upgrade and did online or at the store upgrade.
Agent: But I will waive it as a one time courtesy.

Rolled my eyes, but said "That would be terrific, thank you so much."

Last edited:

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
I just called AT&T and spoke to someone in billing. I explained that I thought that the $36 charge for each of the two iPhone 5 I ordered seemed ridiculous, especially considering I paid the extra $250 to have one of them upgraded early.

The CSR said that as a courtesy that they would refund BOTH activation charges.

AWESOMENESS :)

nperei

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Boston
Thanks! that did works! I just got off 5 minutes ago. That was about 40.00 credit causd there was sales tax part of it. Nice to spend on Otterbox Defender! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.