Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Nikos, do you have your phone in a case? If so, have you removed it to see if it makes a difference?

No case here. I'm hesitant to get a replacement because I'm happy with the phone outside of this issue. I'll wait a bit since we have 30 days for a 'no questions asked' replacement.

I guess the real test will be at work tomorrow. We have company-wide WiFi. My 4S would get full signal but I'm not sure where the access points are. If this still connects, I'd be hard pressed to say it's a hardware issue. Then again, if only some are experiencing the issue, it wouldn't make as much sense for it to be software.

ibrake4ants

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
No case here.

Hmm. Ok, that blows my theory that it's due to the case. ;) Certainly seemed to make a difference for me, though. I'm wondering if I cut a hole in my case to completely expose the glass at the top of the back of the phone, it will resolve my problem. I hate going caseless....I have already dropped my phone twice!

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Very weird, I've had good wifi signals since day 1. Just this morning I noticed it was one bar at home and now one bar at work. While before they were full.

----------

Very weird, I've had good wifi signals since day 1. Just this morning I noticed it was one bar at home and now one bar at work. While before they were full.

Ok restarted and bars are full

dabigone

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
The intermittent wifi was driving me nuts. Youtube and other apps were hanging.
I changed my airport extreme to use channel 9 and finally plugged in an extra express I had to extend the network and it's been fine since.

joesploggs

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
If it helps anyone my Wifi was continually dropping on the iPhone 5 only - particularly under heavy load (I was testing by syncing music on Spotify and it would drop after 30 secs or so).

On my router I changed from "802.11 b/g/n" to "802.11 b/g/n 40Mhz" - and voila problem solved!

ruckleapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Japan
Though I rang the Nagoya apple store last week and they said they didnt have any iPhone 5 stock at present for faulty exchange, I made a 'genius' bar reservation anyway and went in today. Good news is they did have stock. The apple man went out the back, opened up an new box and asked me to inspect the phone. Straight away I saw it had a little scratch on the side. He went and got another phone from out the back and this time it looked good and the wifi actually works on it.
So nice to finally have a non-faulty (that I'm aware of anyway) iPhone 5.

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
my iPhone was constantly (every 30sec acc. to logg in router) authorizing the wpa2 passkey, which lead to NO internet at all...
after doing a reset network settings and waiting 20min, the phone has blazing network again :)
my router is ASUS RT-AC66U, and we have Gbit internet..
hope this solved my problem, it has been solid for 1,5 hour so far

bigab51

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Since I got my phone all it ever showed was 1 bar of wifi no matter how close I was to the router.
Read all the posts here and tried turning my phone off and on for the first time since I've had it just now.
A full turn off with only the power button not a restart with power and home.
When it came back on I'm now getting 3 or at the least 2 bars.
So happy to get this sorted.
Sometimes the easiest solution is the best.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
my iPhone was constantly (every 30sec acc. to logg in router) authorizing the wpa2 passkey, which lead to NO internet at all...
after doing a reset network settings and waiting 20min, the phone has blazing network again :)
my router is ASUS RT-AC66U, and we have Gbit internet..
hope this solved my problem, it has been solid for 1,5 hour so far

I had the same problem. But network settings reset didn't work for me. What did work is manually putting my network info - in wifi settings >> add other >> manually type SSID and password. I haven't had a single disconnection problem since (it's been a few days already).

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
I had the same problem. But network settings reset didn't work for me. What did work is manually putting my network info - in wifi settings >> add other >> manually type SSID and password. I haven't had a single disconnection problem since (it's been a few days already).

my router does not send the SSID, so that´s my setup aswell..
has worked for a week now

leurysworld

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
My issue is: whenever I'm connected to wifi, I have no bars but the signal is there. In other words, the wifi icon in the status bar shows I have 0 bars of wifi but I can still browse the internet, listen to rdio, watch youtube vids etc. Not sure what this means...

Cookie11

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Yup my wifi signal is rubbish too - 4 was ok - off to get a replacement tomorrow ...maube a Galaxy :/

Oman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
My son and I are having this issue with our phones in my house... My network is WPA And I will not change that for out phones.

waltkeyser

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Houston area
OK, first iPhone 5 problem.
I've logged into the wifi at my house and my iPhone has accepted it but if I walk 3 meters away from the router the signal bars drop down from full to nothing and LTE comes back on. While my iPhone 4 still has wifi signal with full bars.

Any ideas?
I have exactly the sam issue. Genius reset phone wifi and issue persists. Dropping wifi sigal is very annoying and will become expensive!

cyranocytoplasm

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
Hmm. Ok, that blows my theory that it's due to the case. ;) Certainly seemed to make a difference for me, though. I'm wondering if I cut a hole in my case to completely expose the glass at the top of the back of the phone, it will resolve my problem. I hate going caseless....I have already dropped my phone twice!

ibrake4ants, thank you for your suggestion. It did the trick for me. From 1 bar to 3 bars instantly. I am using a Gaisar Grabbit case. It appears to have a rubberized inner lining, but the outer material looks to be aluminum. It is clearly interfering with the antenna somehow.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Having the same problem. On my third iPhone 5 now. Sitting in my living room about 20 feet away from my Airport Express and my Macbook, Apple TV, girlfriend's 4S all work fine but my iPhone 5 can barely hold the wifi signal if at all. Growing more and more disappointed with iPhones lately.

ClaraICLin

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
This WIFI issue also driving me crazy. Been trying all kinds of solutions but none seems to be working well.

Did anyone tried this Linkase? I saw this product and claims to boost Wi-Fi by 50%, some youtube videos are supporting the performance. But I would really like to know some real comments. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.