Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Trust me people there is a very faint grid on the screen and that is the touch matrix. It's there on all touch devices.

THE BG 86

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Sounds like a good way to describe it would be to say it looks like a PenTile screen.

So you are seeing the same thing?

----------

Trust me people there is a very faint grid on the screen and that is the touch matrix. It's there on all touch devices.

I have iphone 4 and iPad 3 and I never noticed this though. I know this screen is a new display compared to those but just wasn't sure if other ppl were seeing it so just checking

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
So you are seeing the same thing?

----------

I have iphone 4 and iPad 3 and I never noticed this though. I know this screen is a new display compared to those but just wasn't sure if other ppl were seeing it so just checking

Just went to the apple store and had it checked out. It's normal and new for the iPhone. The previous iPhones did not have the grainy dots. After looking at the displays again, they in fact did have the grainy dots. The geniuses also assured there was nothing wrong with the phone, but of course said I could do an exchange once there is another shipment of phones. My verdict is that the 4/4s does have a better display than the 5.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Same as most here. No issues whatsoever with the 5. Display looks a little better in fact in terms of color and sharpness

THE BG 86

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Just went to the apple store and had it checked out. It's normal and new for the iPhone. The previous iPhones did not have the grainy dots. After looking at the displays again, they in fact did have the grainy dots. The geniuses also assured there was nothing wrong with the phone, but of course said I could do an exchange once there is another shipment of phones. My verdict is that the 4/4s does have a better display than the 5.

Cool, thanks for checking it out

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Take a pic of It with a camera so we can see

I would, but it's hardly noticeable.

----------

I also will note that I can see a little light coming from the bezel under the hold button. Not sure if that's normal either.

irishgreenapple

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
Do you have the brightness turned down? I was comparing my mother's iP4s to my iP5 and it seemed like her screen was so much clearer than mine. But then I realized that she has the brightness turned way up and I keep mine turned down to extend battery life. Once I changed my brightness to match hers, the two screens looked the same. The screen just looks way crisper with the brightness turned all the way up.

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Do you have the brightness turned down? I was comparing my mother's iP4s to my iP5 and it seemed like her screen was so much clearer than mine. But then I realized that she has the brightness turned way up and I keep mine turned down to extend battery life. Once I changed my brightness to match hers, the two screens looked the same. The screen just looks way crisper with the brightness turned all the way up.

I think the "dots" are less noticeable when the brightness is turned down, but I will admit the screen does look vibrant when the brightness is turned up.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
My IP5 screen is simply gorgeous and big upgrade from washed out yellow 4s screen. It also trumps Iphone 4 given vivid colors and improved contrast. I was considering S3 just to get better screen but no more. ;)

ijfry

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
My IP5 screen is simply gorgeous and big upgrade from washed out yellow 4s screen. It also trumps Iphone 4 given vivid colors and improved contrast. I was considering S3 just to get better screen but no more. ;)

Weird. My 4S display is blue-ish white while the 5 looks more yellow-white.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I have tiny parallel lines I can see going diagonally. But I would say the quality is much better than the 4S. But I do notice the tiny lines you speak of.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
The screen on the iPhone 5 is most definitively improved. Now measuring 99% of the sRGB color gamut. Significantly better color saturation than the 4/4s. Not that those were 'bad' displays by any stretch. To date, IMO...they're still (second) best---only to the '5'.

If you're noticing washed out colors or graniness, take it back for an exchange. It's not right. The new screens are very, VERY nice panels.

J

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
The screen on the iPhone 5 is most definitively improved. Now measuring 99% of the sRGB color gamut. Significantly better color saturation than the 4/4s. Not that those were 'bad' displays by any stretch. To date, IMO...they're still (second) best---only to the '5'.

If you're noticing washed out colors or graniness, take it back for an exchange. It's not right. The new screens are very, VERY nice panels.

J

Exactly. I really notice the color saturation from the green background behind the text in the messages stock app. Looks amazing and really pops.

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011

J

As I said earlier, with comparing my phone to the displays, they all looked the same. If these "dots" are the touch matrix, I will admit that while texting, I noticed the keyboard to be much more accurate. So maybe the touch matrix for the 5 has been resigned? The genius is also going to reserve an iPhone for me in case I want to do an exchange. I'm not sure if it's worth it since all of the phones seem to have the "dots."

Also, the colors are great. I just noticed the touch matrix. The geniuses could even see what I was seeing, and they even took it to the back.

----------

I have tiny parallel lines I can see going diagonally. But I would say the quality is much better than the 4S. But I do notice the tiny lines you speak of.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

deyjavoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
The iPhone 4 and 4s looked washed out to me now, I definitely prefer the new color arrangement on the 5, if you don't see an improvement there might be something wrong with your display.

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
The iPhone 4 and 4s looked washed out to me now, I definitely prefer the new color arrangement on the 5, if you don't see an improvement there might be something wrong with your display.

I never complained about the color. It's the touch matrix/"dots" that I noticed.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I notice no lines nor dots. I have 20/15 vision.

I do know of the touch matrix that is being discussed. I can faintly see it on my 4s when it's off and I look at it in sunlight... but I see NOTHING on my 5. In fact, I am very impressed at how black the screen is on my 5 when not in use. You can't even really tell where the screen ends and the bezel begins.

Comparing to the 4s, the 5 screen blows it away. And I thought the 4s was amazing...

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I notice no lines nor dots. I have 20/15 vision.

I do know of the touch matrix that is being discussed. I can faintly see it on my 4s when it's off and I look at it in sunlight... but I see NOTHING on my 5. In fact, I am very impressed at how black the screen is on my 5 when not in use. You can't even really tell where the screen ends and the bezel begins.

Comparing to the 4s, the 5 screen blows it away. And I thought the 4s was amazing...

Maybe you cannot see it. Im not questioning your vision, but after having several geniuses look at the phone, not one noticed it.

THE BG 86

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
I went to the apple store myself today and checked the phones on display and also noticed it on them so not stressing it much..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.