Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Hey guys I've never owned an iPhone before, and I'm just wondering how hard is is to unlock it? I'm planning on getting an iPhone that's locked. (to Bell)

Has anyone ever unlocked an iPhone if so how much has it cost?

Also how does unlocking work for iPhones? I heard jailbreaking unlocks the phone too don't know if that is true or not.

Once phone is unlocked there will be nothing to trigger it to lock again right?
I'm afraid of factory resetting the phone and then it'll lock the phone again.

Last edited:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Hey guys I've never owned an iPhone before, and I'm just wondering how hard is is to unlock it? I'm planning on getting an iPhone that's locked.

Has anyone ever unlocked an iPhone if so how much has it cost?

You need to give us some more details!

Your Twitter account suggests that you live in Toronto, but that's not immediately obvious from your post.

Which carrier are you planning to buy an iPhone from?

In some countries, unlocking an iPhone costs nothing and is an easy process. In others it's expensive or impossible.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
You need to give us some more details!

Your Twitter account suggests that you live in Toronto, but that's not immediately obvious from your post.

Which carrier are you planning to buy an iPhone from?

In some countries, unlocking an iPhone costs nothing and is an easy process. In others it's expensive or impossible.

Haha sorry I thought it'd be a general question!

I'm planning on getting it from Bell. ( Canadian Carrier)

Where are you from and how much would it generally cost there?

bimmerboii

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
Bell and Virginmobile do not unlock iphones even after your contract is finished.

I suggest u get from Rogers, Fido, Telus, Koodo can all unlock iphones when your contract is done

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Bell and Virginmobile do not unlock iphones even after your contract is finished.

I suggest u get from Rogers, Fido, Telus, Koodo can all unlock iphones when your contract is done

Well there's your answer!

It's important to know where you are and which carrier you're choosing.

Over here (UK) all of the carriers will unlock a phone in-contract - most of them do it for free.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012

If Bell does not unlock phones, does it mean it cannot be unlocked after?

I never read about Koodo's till now have you ever had it before if so what do you think about it?

Could I buy a locked Roger's phone and bring it to them for an unlock as well?

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Well there's your answer!
Over here (UK) all of the carriers will unlock a phone in-contract - most of them do it for free.

Not quite, only O2 contract is free (£20 PAYG), 3 charge £15.32, Vodafone charge £15.32 contract/ £20 PAYG, T-Mobile charge £15 and Orange charge £20.

But least they will unlock them.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
If Bell does not unlock phones, does it mean it cannot be unlocked after?

I never read about Koodo's till now have you ever had it before if so what do you think about it?

Could I buy a locked Roger's phone and bring it to them for an unlock as well?

Why don't you just buy an unlocked one from Apple.ca? Cancelling the contract + $50 to unlock is going to be more costly... Let me know if you need help.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Why don't you just buy an unlocked one from Apple.ca? Cancelling the contract + $50 to unlock is going to be more costly... Let me know if you need help.

I'm getting a deal from someone that is why.

Is $50 the general price in Toronto? I wouldn't mind paying for that price to unlock.

----------

Also how does unlocking work for iPhones? I heard jailbreaking unlocks the phone too don't know if that is true or not.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
]Also how does unlocking work for iPhones? I heard jailbreaking unlocks the phone too don't know if that is true or not.

Jailbreaking does not unlock the phone.

The phone is unlocked remotely by Apple and transmitted to the phone through iTunes.

Once unlocked, it is permanent and resetting the phone has no affect on lock status.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
In the jb world, there hasn't been a software unlock available since the first few months of the 4. Also, the software unlock isn't permanent. You have to be well read on keeping your unlock because it's easy to lose with an update.
You want an imei unlock, because it doesn't go away.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Jailbreaking does not unlock the phone.

The phone is unlocked remotely by Apple and transmitted to the phone through iTunes.

Once unlocked, it is permanent and resetting the phone has no affect on lock status.

Thank you so much! The same will happen with updating correct? Won't affect the unlock status?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.