Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Odd, mine seems to work just fine:

329619988.png

It's a 2.4/5GHz N network (WPA2) running on the newest AEBS, whatever it's called.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
My iPhone 5 Hauls A$$!

1839.6 kB/S on my studio's Comcast DSL
1379.2 kB/S on AT&T's LTE! WHOOOAAAAA :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_4762.PNG
    IMG_4762.PNG
    461.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4742.PNG
    IMG_4742.PNG
    433.7 KB · Views: 90

Mystic Eddy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
My 5 is fine. Getting 34.5Mb out of my 40Mb connection so perfectly acceptable. iPad 3 is marginally slower at 30-32Mb. I changed the server to one I knew was good rather than letting the app choose (that tops out at 11Mb). Setup is a D-Link 615 piggybacking on my ADSL router because the range on that is crap :).

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
I noticed that when I first tried the SpeedTest.net app with my iPhone 5 that the original server that I used was really glitchy and showed really low Mbps. I normally get like 32Mbps down and 6Mbps up. And it would show between 15Mbps-0Mbps. Then i switched my server and got the normal 32Mbps. So try switching your server for SpeedTest because that worked for me.

I've found certain servers with SpeedTest are definitely slower than others. Not near as slow as what this report is saying but you are definitely right about this.

1839.6 kB/S on my studio's Comcast DSL
Since when does Comcast offer DSL?

honjoe

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
Bs

Total BS I have iPhone 5 my wifi works absolutely fine, some people like to rain on everyone's parade. This is the best smartphone out there, some people just want to see it fail.

Written on my iPhone 5.

Last edited:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I had this problem as well. Worked fine out the box but it got progressively worst to the point where I did not have any internet connection. Did not matter if I selected wep or no protection. I looked on the internet yesterday and found something about doing a factory restore but select "do not use" cloud storage or backup once in iOS. Been working fine ever since.

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Bingo. 1st version is always for beta testers. Took me buying 8 1st gen apple products to figure this out. The Cube, One of the G4 models etc...

BTW - Iphone 4s on Fios 30.10 down / 19.27 up. Much better than my friend's iPhone 4.

Very very true, and not just limited to Apple. I went through three early Nexus 7's before I got one without dead pixels and the left side correctly glued down.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
I had problems once where my WiFi slowed to almost nothing, but this was solved by a reboot. I've also had a couple of instances where the WiFi disappeared for a short time even though I was next to the router.

However, in general my iPhone 5 seems way faster on WiFi ... I've been getting numbers that match my wired computers (between 20 and 30 Mb/s) while my 4s would top out at around 9 consistently.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The problem with using sites like Speedtest.com for this testing is that it is highly dependent on the customer's ISP and access point(s) which have little to NOTHING to do with the iPhone 5.

That's not a real problem. Even though we are in a "post PC era" everybody does have one. Just run the test on your PC and compare it with iPhone results.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Total BS I have iPhone 5 my wifi works absolutely fine, some people like to rain on everyone's parade. This is the best smartphone out there, some people just want to see it fail.

Written on my iPhone 5.

Dude this is the most ignorant thing to say. Just because it's a Apple product does not make it bulletproof. I had this problem as well but I did a factory restore without iCloud and I'm working fine. Hopefully it's a software problem that can be fixed pretty quickly. Just because your not having the issue does not mean other people are crazy, lying or out to destroy Apples image.
You my friend have a lot of growing up to do.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I saw this same problem on my iPhone 5. It only got about 2 Mbps down (9 or so up) on my home WiFi connection. The router is a current-model AirPort Extreme with WPA2 enabled. After getting the phone replaced (for a completely unrelated hardware defect), the new one shows no such problem. I see 36 Mbps down now. For comparison, I only see about 10 Mbps down on my iPhone 4S, with a longer ping time to boot (65 ms vs. 15 ms on the 5).

Texran

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
Faster

IPhone 5 is twice as fast on my wifi as my iPad. 10.31 vs 5.95. I'm outside a distance away from my router.

blakey91

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
England
One of the lucky ones

just did a speed test on my iphone 5, i pay for 30meg broadband, results were:

-38ms ping
-30.05Mbps download
-3.24Mbps Upload

Ohhhh shyeahhh :cool:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
One Apple forum poster received confirmation from AppleCare that Apple seems to be aware of the issue, but a resolution is not yet available:According to the AppleCare representative, they are still working on the issue. The issue seems to affect a small minority of iPhone 5 owners.

Article Link: Reports of Slow and Inconsistent Wi-Fi Connections on Some iPhone 5 Devices

They should simply label WiFi as a "Beta"service. If they did that, nobody would have any right to complain.

wesley.bowman

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2002
I have one that is EXTREMELY slow or just won't connect to some wifi. I'm traveling and am unable to connect to several public wifi hotspots. My wife's iPhone 5 connects just fine. I'm sorry I ditched my 4 for this trip. At least LTE is smokin' fast so far! I'd like to see an acknowledgement from Apple on this ASAP. I should have know something was up when it took nearly 2 days to fully restore from iCloud.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
A friend told me he has similar problems with his latest-generation iPad, though I haven't experienced the same with mine.

Wondering if this can and will be fixed with a software upgrade.

Not sure there is anything to fix, mine is screaming fast. 20 Mbps down and 28 Mbps up.

Not even close to the numbers reported in this story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.