Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I just got my iPhone 5 and I go back to school tomorrow. I would like to keep it in my pocket or in my backpack, but have the phone completely silent so it doesn't go off in class.

How does one completely turn off all sounds and vibrations?

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I just got my iPhone 5 and I go back to school tomorrow. I would like to keep it in my pocket or in my backpack, but have the phone completely silent so it doesn't go off in class.

How does one completely turn off all sounds and vibrations?

Turn on the "Do Not Disturb"? Power off the phone (has the added benefit of extending your battery life immensely)?

Clint

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Everything will be silent except for alarms and Siri/Voice dictation.

Well if you could silence the alarm then it kind of defeats the purpose. Also, what if you accidentally silence the phone (including alarm) but forgot you had and needed an alarm? It's best to let the alarm be separate from the other volume-related things. For Siri, I doubt he'll set it off in his backpack during class.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Well if you could silence the alarm then it kind of defeats the purpose. Also, what if you accidentally silence the phone (including alarm) but forgot you had and needed an alarm? It's best to let the alarm be separate from the other volume-related things. For Siri, I doubt he'll set it off in his backpack during class.

I know. Just clarifying since he asked if it silenced "ALL" functions. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.