Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosbo1654

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
I have had horrible battery life and a problem with missing lte connectivity. I had to charge my phone after like five hours and I was not even using it very much

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
We are kicking butt on LTE...Here's a comparison in Portland, Oregon. One on the left is an iPhone 4S on 4G and the other is an iPhone 5 on LTE. Same location.

56mbps??! :eek:
I feel like Verizon and AT&T give you extra bandwidth when you're on speedtest.net. User is doing a speed test? Give him as much bandwidth as possible!

Also, that would literally destroy my monthly data allowance within a little less than 29 seconds.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Had the issue. Did a restore from last 4S iOS6 backup. Problem gone. IMO, some type of factory OS install issues.

No issues now with WAP2, or wi-fi. LTE is sick fast (when I have it) Current Gen Airport Extreme.

at&t. :apple:

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Have had this issue since day 1; however here is what I tried and it seems to be working so far.

I reset my network setting and manually connected to my network (WPA2). Since then, it has been working without issue.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
This is obviously a software issue. I have LTE to fall back on so it's no biggie, but even at slower speeds I'm getting 10Mbs down.

Edit: My wi-fi doesn't seem slow at all. And I used another app and my download speed was much faster, but my upload speed was slow. Really weird.

Last edited:

JoeHemi

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
Seattle, Wa
My iPhone 5 wifi -

img0021s.png

My iMac wifi -

2198461461.png

Same network and same distance away from the Airport Extreme. Seems pretty consistent to me. Also using WPA2 security

KaiMac

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2004
Va
I have had horrible battery life and a problem with missing lte connectivity. I had to charge my phone after like five hours and I was not even using it very much

Me too.

- horrible wifi connectivity on wpa2 at home.
- bad battery life
- 4g signal very week
- touchscreen very slow to respond in some apps

Pretty disappointed .. Z

mosbo1654

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
Me too.

- horrible wifi connectivity on wpa2 at home.
- bad battery life
- 4g signal very week
- touchscreen very slow to respond in some apps

Pretty disappointed .. Z

Yea I actually switched back to my galaxy nexus until the problems get fixed. Not having any data connection when I am away from WiFi is frustrating

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Yep. I feel bad for people who buy new stuff and get a lemon. That happened to my dad with an iMac he bought then gave to me later. It had the faulty NVIDIA GPU that was doomed to fail within 4 years. He also got a lemon by buying a 2000 Jaguar XKR when it first came out (8th model made or something).

Was that the XKR with the horrid rear impact guards for US models?

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
I have not had a single problem with wifi. I consistently average 30mbps down and 8mbps up. Exactly what I pay for from my ISP.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Looks good here. My ISP is Cablevision (Optimum Online) in NY. A better time to do this test would be late night or early AM (fewer people surfing the net, more consistent/repeatable results), but these numbers are good.

iPhone 4S left. iPhone5 right. Both on iOS 6, in airplane mode w/ wifi on.

iphone4s-wifi-speedtest.png
iphone5-wifi-speedtest.png

mstang1988

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
4G/LTE Issues

I have an issue with my phone. Every once in a while it will default to 4G on the AT&T network and literally have no bandwidth even though I can call etc. I turn cellular data off then back on then it switches back to LTE and it's fine. It will go to 4G when LTE is not around and that's fine. It's just he quirk when it somehow gets itself in a bad state it can't transfer data.

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Slow wifi? Yep.

I have done wifi tests using a 4S and my new iPhone 5. Both devices have full wifi strength bars, but there is definitely a problem here. In test after test, the 4S's wifi is often close to 3 times faster than that of my new iPhone 5.

My latest test has the 4S's download speed at 25.69 Mbps.
the iPhone 5 maxed out at 8.81 Mbps.

Upload speeds are always very nearly identical.

There is absolutely a problem with the wifi.

BTW, I am on 3G, we do not have 4G in our area yet.

skidude80206

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Setup my guest network without wpa2

So, setup my guest network with no security and my regular network with security iPhone 5 gets half the speed on my regular network tha on guest. iPad and other devices get the same on both.

ablashek

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Paraguay
Def software based. I experienced the same prob downloading songs on my ipad2 through itunes match. Dont think this is an iphone 5 specific issue, more like a global ios6 bug with music app.

Biscotti

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
My iPhone 5 doesn't get as good reception as my damn iPad 1! It also disconnects from the wifi after 30-45 seconds or when I'm not standing directly next to the router. Even with LTE and unlimited plan, I'm still disappointed for sure. I just really wasn't expecting this.

HsvAppleGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I have a iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. I ran the speedtest.net app side by side on my WPA2 WI-FI network. I was getting the very slow download speeds on the 5 and then I noticed that speedtest.net on the iPhone 5 was using a different server.

The server picked by speedtest.net on the iPhone 4 was 28 miles away, while the server picked on the iPhone 5 was 100 miles away.

Once I manually set the iPhone 5 to the same server as the iPhone 4, it blew away the iPhone 4.

I ran each pair of tests 8 times and it was consistently slow before I manually set the server. After, it was consistently great... YMMV...

Must be a bug either with the speedtest app or the network routing in the operating system, hopefully, not hardware.. :)

Also, running the test on LTE on the iPhone 5, it found the closest server (28 miles away) correctly...

---
Before:
iPhone 4: 19.71Mbps Down 7.08Mbps Up Server 1 - 28 miles away
iPhone 5: 15.97Mbps Down 6.73Mbps Up Server 2 - 100 miles away

After:
iPhone 4: 17.05Mbps Down 8.94Mbps Up Server 1 - 28 miles away
iPhone 5: 33.40Mbps Down 4.63Mbps Up Server 1 - 28 miles away

Last edited:

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Def software based. I experienced the same prob downloading songs on my ipad2 through itunes match. Dont think this is an iphone 5 specific issue, more like a global ios6 bug with music app.

I respectfully disagree. My 4S is running iOS6 and it is consistently about three times faster than my iPhone 5.

icarus81187

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
I've fixed my issues by manually entering the SSID and password. IF you scan it automatically and choose the network from a list, it has issues. Entering it manually and selecting WPA2, it will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.