Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1pizza14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
I ordered an iPhone 5 from Sprint but they forgot to ship a sim card with it. I want to at least play around with it so is there any way to bypass the activation?

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I ordered an iPhone 5 from Sprint but they forgot to ship a sim card with it. I want to at least play around with it so is there any way to bypass the activation?

Sure? The SIM card should be in the phone when you get it.

1pizza14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
There was no sim when I purchased the phone. Sprint is sending me another one at no cost.. but it will be around 3 weeks before i get it.

msaftw

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Houston, Tx
Apple Store does not carry ANY SIM card, only the Carrier stores do. Going in would be a lot quicker than getting them shipped, but I do not know if the nano SIMs are carried yet....because they come pre-loaded in the iPhones.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Is there really no way to activate the iPhone 5 without a sim card? I have bought a sim locked UK T-Mobile iPhone 5, and there is a delay on the unlock service - and I would like to use it in the meantime and play with it. I have a Danish sim, but it won't activate it for me.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Is there really no way to activate the iPhone 5 without a sim card? I have bought a sim locked UK T-Mobile iPhone 5, and there is a delay on the unlock service - and I would like to use it in the meantime and play with it. I have a Danish sim, but it won't activate it for me.

That is correct.
There is currently no way to activate an i5 without a valid sim.

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
That is correct.
There is currently no way to activate an i5 without a sim.

Or anything back to the 3GS for that matter. I haven't tested it with earlier models, but my 3GS I use as an iPod required a sim after restoring it. It had 5.0 on it, so this requirement either came with 5.1 or 6.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Or anything back to the 3GS for that matter. I haven't tested it with earlier models, but my 3GS I use as an iPod required a sim after restoring it. It had 5.0 on it, so this requirement either came with 5.1 or 6.

All stock iphones needed to be activated before it let you into the homescreen.
Before with JB options available you could hactivate and bypass that but currently there is no JB for the i5.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Apple Store does not carry ANY SIM card, only the Carrier stores do. Going in would be a lot quicker than getting them shipped, but I do not know if the nano SIMs are carried yet....because they come pre-loaded in the iPhones.

This is %100 not true.

I got a replacement sim from Apple for verizon.

They dont sell them, but they do have them for replacements if there is an issue with the one you got.

rd261

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
I thought sprint didn't use a SIM card. I have an iPhone 5 from sprint and they just activated it. I know they all have one but I didn't know it was required to activate with sprint or Verizon for that matter.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I thought sprint didn't use a SIM card. I have an iPhone 5 from sprint and they just activated it. I know they all have one but I didn't know it was required to activate with sprint or Verizon for that matter.

The iphone 5 will need a sim to connect to Sprints or Verizon LTE network.
Without the sim you will be stuck with CDMA 3G even in areas where you could get LTE.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
All stock iphones needed to be activated before it let you into the homescreen.
Before with JB options available you could hactivate and bypass that but currently there is no JB for the i5.

I'm almost positive my 3GS didn't have a sim in it when I installed 5.0 on it after erasing all content and settings. If it did have one in there, I wouldn't have had to get one from AT&T. Either way, it's easy to get one from your carrier for free.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'm almost positive my 3GS didn't have a sim in it when I installed 5.0 on it after erasing all content and settings. If it did have one in there, I wouldn't have had to get one from AT&T. Either way, it's easy to get one from your carrier for free.

You're not that positive:D The 3GS after a restore with 5.0 would need a sim to activate.
That's how the ios works, it doesnt just activate the phone with nothing there.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
you are better of going to the store and get it yourself mate.

i had a bad experience waiting for a sim to be shipped to my address - took too long and when i finally visited a store they had no record of my order.

if they have stock - which they usually do, you'll have your phone up and running in minutes.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You're not that positive:D The 3GS after a restore with 5.0 would need a sim to activate.
That's how the ios works, it doesnt just activate the phone with nothing there.

EDIT* It looks like you're right. I guess I just thought it didn't have a sim in it. Thanks for clearing it up.

Last edited:

msaftw

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Houston, Tx
This is %100 not true.

I got a replacement sim from Apple for verizon.

They dont sell them, but they do have them for replacements if there is an issue with the one you got.

Then Apple doesn't know what they're talking about or just like this whole forum; information varies. I went in to get a replacement SIM for a 4 and 4S at two different Apple Stores in Houston and they specifically told me they do not carry them as the SIMs are pre-loaded in the box, but I could get a new one from the kiosk right outside the Apple store.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Then Apple doesn't know what they're talking about or just like this whole forum; information varies. I went in to get a replacement SIM for a 4 and 4S at two different Apple Stores in Houston and they specifically told me they do not carry them as the SIMs are pre-loaded in the box, but I could get a new one from the kiosk right outside the Apple store.

Lolol well I got a nano some for my verizon iphone 5.. As well as a micro that same day for the 4s. (i was swapping phones) You can't just go ask for one..they don't hand them out like business cards. Make an appointment or find a representative who's nice.
Read the verizon unlimited data swap thread. So many on there got their nano sims from apple. That's how I knew to get mine from them.

I love how you say apple (as a company) doesn't know what they are talking about because you couldn't walk in and get one/talked to a stupid csr

msaftw

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Houston, Tx
Lolol well I got a nano some for my verizon iphone 5.. As well as a micro that same day for the 4s. (i was swapping phones) You can't just go ask for one..they don't hand them out like business cards. Make an appointment or find a representative who's nice.
Read the verizon unlimited data swap thread. So many on there got their nano sims from apple. That's how I knew to get mine from them.

I love how you say apple (as a company) doesn't know what they are talking about because you couldn't walk in and get one/talked to a stupid csr

Sorry thought you could read between the lines... The Apple Store employee***** doesn't know what she was talking about. By the way the CSR told me to get a new sim as she knew that was the issue and STILL didn't give me a new one, sorry I believed her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.