Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Whenever I plug my iPhone 5 into the wall with my brand new Lightning wall charger, this is what happens. When I plug it in to my computer it works fine. Also, battery life has been awful. Preordered from AT&T, 16 GB Black, running iOS 6, no jailbreak.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Seems like either the wall charger or cable is defective. You should call Apple or take it to an Apple store.

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
qtip, dip it in 91% alcohol, let the excess drip off, then clean the contacts on the lightning end of the cable. Mine had this issue when I got, cleaning it with rubbing alcohol made it work perfect.

The cable I bought separate from Apple also had an issue in which is only charged from a certain way, cleaned the contacts again, worked again.

shmonkus

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
United Kingdom
Whenever I plug my iPhone 5 into the wall with my brand new Lightning wall charger, this is what happens. When I plug it in to my computer it works fine. Also, battery life has been awful. Preordered from AT&T, 16 GB Black, running iOS 6, no jailbreak.

I have exactly the same issue - it's incredibly annoying, as I only received the phone on Monday, worked fine Monday night, now it does exactly the same as what is in your video. I'm going to ring apple later, I'm sure they are aware of the issue though so perhaps it will be a simple swap. One can only hope!

starbucksfreak

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
I have exactly the same issue - it's incredibly annoying, as I only received the phone on Monday, worked fine Monday night, now it does exactly the same as what is in your video. I'm going to ring apple later, I'm sure they are aware of the issue though so perhaps it will be a simple swap. One can only hope!

Same issue. If you have not done so, call Apple. They will make you do a restore, that will not help. Then they should replace the phone. That's what they are doing with me.

edward87

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
Not perfect but always defective. People still love apple products... unfortunately i am one of them.

shmonkus

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
United Kingdom
Same issue. If you have not done so, call Apple. They will make you do a restore, that will not help. Then they should replace the phone. That's what they are doing with me.

I work in Engineering so I'm fairly familiar with fault finding. Managed to trace the issue down to the plug socket. Tested it with my old iphone plug socket and it worked fine, so got the plug replaced via Apple, and that did the trick :)

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Get it replaced it's only the charger that's defective and you want your phone and it's battery to survive for the next 2+ years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.