Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
That's a very valid point. I did consider that but wanted to post here and see if others were experiencing the same issue.

It's tough to get accurate info though. As soon as the thread pops up, people start thinking, and decide they have the same issue. Did you ever look at usage times under settings? If so, you can get a rough comparison. Even so, it's not terribly accurate unless you are doing the same exact things on the 5 as you did with the 4.

gottafly

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
I'm getting the best battery life (iPhone5) I've had in years.

Ive always been lazy and RESTORED from previous phone. I suggest (strongly) that you reset and start from scratch. It took me a couple hours to reinstall approx 100 apps but it was well worth it.

I can't remember the last time I ended the day with close to 50% battery left!!

Take the time and make the effort before you return it.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
My experience has actually been exactly the opposite: coming from a a feature phone and being an avid reader on these forums, I was expecting much worse performance; I've been very pleasantly surprised by how long my 5 is lasting.

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Yesterday seemed questionable, but today has been fantastic! I've been in standby for 14 hours, 5 minutes. My usage is at 4 hours, 1 minute. Still got 45% battery power.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
I've had great success. The first day I got it I charged to 100% and let it drain till it shut off. Now as far as usage I am sitting at:

Usage: 4 Hours, 12 Minutes
Standby: 1 Day, 0 Hours

I am currently at 58%.

Verizon, 64GB! In NJ

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I have 2% left from 100% and it the stats are 5 hours 22 min Usage and 11 Hours sandby.

irish2110

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Will switching off LTE help with battery life if you live in an area that is not listed on your carriers LTE coverage city? My iPhone battery has been decreasing faster than usual and I'm thinking this is the case since its always searching for LTE when unfortunately it's not offered where I live.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I'm getting the best battery life (iPhone5) I've had in years.

Ive always been lazy and RESTORED from previous phone. I suggest (strongly) that you reset and start from scratch. It took me a couple hours to reinstall approx 100 apps but it was well worth it.

I can't remember the last time I ended the day with close to 50% battery left!!

Take the time and make the effort before you return it.

Why would Restoring the iPhone have anything to do with decreased battery life?

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
It's tough to get accurate info though. As soon as the thread pops up, people start thinking, and decide they have the same issue. Did you ever look at usage times under settings? If so, you can get a rough comparison. Even so, it's not terribly accurate unless you are doing the same exact things on the 5 as you did with the 4.

That's the thing, I feel as though I am doing the same things for the most part. I may be playing around with the new features a bit more but nothing that should cause the battery to drain this quickly.

Not sure what the usage stats mean but under "Time since last full charge" it says:

Usage: 5 minutes
Standby: 1 hour, 8 minutes

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Battery has been great for me. I get to the end of the day with around 35%, where my 4S was often at around 10%.

All radios on, 4 email accounts (1 push, others 15 minutes), tweetbot/Facebook notifications, imessage/sms throughout the day, a few phone calls, web browsing and music streaming.

So I'd say I have pretty average usage.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
I was actually worried about this myself the last 2 days ... I thought after a couple full draining s and recharges (drain to 1% and fully recharge a couple times ... no charging in between) it would get better and this has always been the case in the past.

Charged last night (2nd drain and charge) and today I can't drain this thing to save my life!

Give it a couple good drains and charges like has always been recommended for years and you should be good to go!

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
The battery life on my iPhone 5 seems pretty poor compared to my iPhone 4. With my 4 I rarely had a problem making it through an entire day without needing to charge it, but with the 5 it barely makes through the afternoon. Anyone else experienced this?

My 5 seems to have amazing battery life. Today I was using it for internet browsing on LTE and be 50% I was at a usage time of 3 hours 48 minutes! :eek:

And mind you that's true usage time, without any phantom usage time such as music being played with the screen off. That was 100% screen on and browsing the web.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
Ive been reading mixed comments on this so Im really starting to feel that iPhone battery life is fueled partially by a users loyalty to Apple. The people who tend to defend Apple the most seem to always be able to squeeze out a few extra hours of life.

For our two phones, even after dumping a bunch of location services that I actually want to use, we're getting roughly the same battery life as our 4S (10% around 3-4PM). Apple is punishing me for my lack of faith i guess...

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
image.jpg

How's this for poor battery life?

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego
give it a good week or so..new batteries need to be cycled...try not to drain it fast with gaming or other that apps that will eat up batt fast... take it easy for now till you get good cycles on the battery...but if you cant help it use the heck out of it..still warranty:D still have my 4 and battery runs like new.... remember to calibrate the battery once a week or so and try not to let the battery sit long after the battery is completely dead.. li-ion batteries dont like that.. sometimes they will crap out if the charge is low or completely dead it wont power up even if you try to charge it...in the end its the user how you have your settings and use it..

honeygirl

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
The battery life on my iPhone 5 seems pretty poor compared to my iPhone 4. With my 4 I rarely had a problem making it through an entire day without needing to charge it, but with the 5 it barely makes through the afternoon. Anyone else experienced this?

I have not get the iphone 5 now. I am not sure if I should buy it. I worry about some problems for the iphone 5.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
i wouldn't call this poor battery life

LTE on all day, with moderate-heavy LTE browsing, a bit of media consumption, and no gaming.

mwfSz.png

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I am not pleased w battery life. Charges super fast But battery drains fast. I'd prefer battery to last all day long like my ip even if I have to charge it longer.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
But even if I was surfing lte for 3 hours I shoild still have more than 50% battery left. According to apple I get 8hrs on lte and I did three of mixed

Not necessarily, if you do certain things that tax the battery then I could see the battery running down quicker than Apples estimate.

Examples:
- say you are playing music while browsing the web, that's an extra battery drain.
- say you have the brightness at 100%, then you will get less battery life

These are just a few examples, there are many more you could be doing.

Also is the fact that the phone has only been in your possession for a whole 3 days. Give it some charge cycles (about 3 weeks) before jumping to conclusions about battery life.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
I will post mine as soon as mine arrives. The thing is, mine releases the 28th. Lets see if theres any difference between the batches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.