Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tju317

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
I've called 3 Targets in my area and they all say they don't have them. Maybe this is why. Did you see if they had just the regular candyshell or also the grip or satin versions?

Only saw candyshell in white/grey and no satin versions available.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
If any of you are interested I have video reviews and up close looks of both the CandyShell and CandyShell Grip cases for the new iPhone 5 on my channel. Just look at my sig below.

Hope this helps :)

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Scratches on the case

Case fits great, a little bulky in my opinion for the phone, but my chief complaint is that it scratches way to easy. Had it for about 2 hours, had it in the car and in my pocked for a bit and realize that there are clearly visible scratches.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Are these available at the apple store?

Got mine at Target and then the CandyShell Grip at AT&T store for the overpriced markup of $38!

These cases will show scratches if you get darker colors, the lighter colors hide fingerprints and scratches pretty well.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Yes, these cases do scratch but are otherwise awesome.

How do you guys like the Candyshells compared to the Otterbox Commuter?

tju317

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Best Buy has lots of Speck candyshell cases. Bought a black one and liking it alot. I'm thinking of ordering the satin version and if I like it, I'll return the regular candyshell.

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Picked up the Blue/Orange model at Best Buy last night. They had a pretty good inventory.

iFxU5l.jpg

eQbb9l.jpg

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
They had the red and black one at the AT&T store. I grabbed it while I was doing my SIM swap. They were also giving 25% of accessories including JamBox speakers if you are into those.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I tried one of these but I didn't like how difficult it was to take the phone out. Just me I guess...

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I bought an Incase Slider (which I have used for 2 years on my iPhone 4, and for 2 years before that on my iPod Touch) and decided to return it. The "slider" part left scratches on my 4 and I was worried that would happen and look worse on the black 5. Also I found it didn't fit as well as the one for my 4 did. It slid off today twice when pulling the headphone cable out and it kept creaking like it was not fitting properly.

Anyway, I started looking at Speck Candyshell. Very limited selection in stores around here so far but I found the white/blue candyshell grip. Fits SO much better. Very tight fit and it feels much more sturdy. Not worried about my phone at all with this thing on.

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the grip though. It looks nice and it seems like it would help prevent dropping it, but I don't know if I like the rubber feel. I might switch it for the white/charcoal one once they are in stock here.

Lloyd Braun

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
This case is incredible. Blew me away when I took one out of the package at Best Buy. The build quality and precision here is the best I've ever seen Speck do.

Here's my "nekkid" iPhone 4S next to my CandyShell'd iPhone 5. My ruler shows the case at 11mm thin. Happy customer here!

Attachments

• IMG_0015-1.JPG
    IMG_0015-1.JPG
    593.7 KB · Views: 281

shiro13

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I got the white/grey one and I like it. It's still pretty light and I didn't find any scuffing when I took it out and put it back in 3 times.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I got one from Best Buy. When I first got there they claimed they were out of everything except pink. Afterwards I noticed an entire unopened box marked "Speck" sitting on the desk in the Mobile section of the store. I went back and asked if someone could open it and see if they had any black Candyshell cases in the box, and luckily for me they had a whole box full of them!

The fit is very tight. Also, there are no scuffs so far when removing the case, the rubber interior seems to prevent this problem altogether. I think it will be a very good case, much better than the CaseCrown one I had originally.

Since the fit is tight, do you think it would scratch or nick the polished bevel edges when installing or uninstalling?

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I saw the Speck Candy Shell at the Best Buy near me, but they didn't have any that I really liked, but I did end up with the Speck FabShell. I got the one with the black and cream plaid design.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Are people concerned with these kind of cases that dirt is going to build up inside the plastic and scratch the bezeled edge and the sides/back of the device?

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
Are people concerned with these kind of cases that dirt is going to build up inside the plastic and scratch the bezeled edge and the sides/back of the device?

on my 4s the case fit so tight there was never any build up of lint, dust etc in the case when I removed it. For maximum protection I did use it with a back cover protector on my phone along with a screen protector. Same will be used for the iP5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.