Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Ok I am not an engineer, well ok I am , but not with Anodized materials , but something did cross my mind.

I looked up how Anodizing is done. If you look at how the iphone is engineered you can see that white flakes of aluminium are flying off as the tool rounds the device. These are under a lot of friction and heat and are most likely "Sticking" to the device as the tool does it's job. The white flakes are flying off as you can see in the video and some of them DO settle back onto the device.

Look here : Time: 04:55 - you can see white flakes sticking to the actual device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLCvajE7sgM

What chemicals will attack an anodize? High heat may be an issue. When tools which rotate at certain high speeds touch a device it causes friction and heat.

That might be a possibility but that's what QC is for. To discard those phones which got any kind of defect!

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Quick question - the replacements you guys are getting are they refurbs or brand new phones?

And do they come with accessories or just the phone?

I have the white model 64GB and I asked for them to send me a Black 64GB so I could see which one I wanted (I have to send one back with the courier - but I want to inspect a black one for myself)

I asked Apple if it would be a refurb she said "No" I get a brand new - unopened black model. She said I can play with the white one until my black one arrives, and said I can tell the courier to pick up the white one AFTER I get my black one. :)

They don't hold any money on your bank account, they are basically "Trusting" you to send the other one back , I don't know of any other company that will let you do that, normally they want you to send the other product back first.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

Cheers

Details for my flawless white model

Name: iPhone 5
ModelCode: iphone_5
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation: 7
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 36 (September)
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: 64GB
Capacity: White
Factory: C3 (China)

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Ok after reading this thread I don't know what to do...
Should I buy the black?
I think it's so much better looking than the white phone... But then there's this scuff issue...

Apple are sending me the black model as I don't know if I want my white model. I get to choose at home and then send the one I don't want back.

----------

According to the missus, my replacement is a brand new, sealed retail unit

It's sealed, and brand new. The Apple employee I spoke to less than 15 mins ago said they will need the earpods and accessories back as you will get a brand new set with your phone.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Or he could have a hundred grand Patek with a leather band.

It's not whining about nothing, it's hoping to get something that isn't damaged out of the box. I've rejected watches, phones and other things for this reason many times.

I'd love to do business with you- it seems like you're fine with paying top dollar for damaged products. I actually have a gorgeous BMW 3-series Coupe that I'd love to sell you at MSRP. It has a beautiful Coral Red Dakota Leather interior, blacked out rims for that sporty look, and many factory options such as Bi-Xenon headlights, power-folding mirrors and the iDrive navigation system with real time traffic updates and iPod connectivity.

So Mr James, will you be paying by cash or Amex Centurion today? I trust a man of your caliber does not deal with car payment options- which are for poor people- like 'leasing' or 'financing'.

Don't worry about him, he just goes around this board dropping brand names and price tags as if it impresses us. I doubt he's actually able to go out and buy another $1000 phone (or $10,000,000 villa) at the drop of a hat: people who can genuinely do that are very discreet about their wealth.

Hahaha, dude that's awesome.

I am more impressed by a guy who can kick my ass on the PS3 than by money. Heck I'd even pay for dinner.

I think some people just need "Things" in order to feel "Superior" or "worth"

I purchase lots of things online, and yes I do inspect them. Jewelry has to have sturdy clasps to hold the stone in place.

I doubt my mother with her expensive engagement ring (yes, ,she paid for it as my father couldn't afford it lol) would ever have purchased it with diamond imperfections or scratched up surfaces, she works hard dammit, and wants something she can pass down to her grandchildren.

Granted an iphone isn't passed down to your grandchildren but it's the same principle. I guess you could give the Jerk above a scratched up iphone 5 , he'd probably pay you £5000 for it.

----------

Err...that's what I said

I know, but it's always good to have more than one person confirm :)

Some people have indeed had refurbs sent out to them.

----------

That might be a possibility but that's what QC is for. To discard those phones which got any kind of defect!

I really don't think the damage is located to one factory, it's definitely the manufacturing process. However QC in Foxconn factories are not great, I don't blame them to be honest, they way they are treated and paid so little is astonishingly bad. They hardly have time to sleep let alone pay much attention to what's going on.

THey say Foxconn use x ray imaging for QC but on every device? I don't think so.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/05/foxconn-reportedly-increasing-quality-control-with-x-ray-imaging/

Foxconn Technology, which has about 1.2 million employees working at its myriad factories in China, has begun adding automated inline X-ray inspection systems to its plants, according to a source with first-hand knowledge of the change. With inline X-ray machines using software algorithms to inspect solder joints or printed circuit boards at production line speeds, a company is able to spot defects that humans might miss before the pieces get tucked into packages for resale

Then you have the rumours of Foxconn workers damaging the iphones as they move through the production line. That still doesn't explain the damage, why the black models? are they just targeting those? nope. I think it's definitely something to do with the manufacturing process.

deeelz

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
sorry to sound stupid but how are you guys finding out when your iphone were manufactured and what lines etc?

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I really don't think the damage is located to one factory, it's definitely the manufacturing process. However QC in Foxconn factories are not great, I don't blame them to be honest, they way they are treated and paid so little is astonishingly bad. They hardly have time to sleep let alone pay much attention to what's going on.

THey say Foxconn use x ray imaging for QC but on every device? I don't think so.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/05/foxconn-reportedly-increasing-quality-control-with-x-ray-imaging/

Then you have the rumours of Foxconn workers damaging the iphones as they move through the production line. That still doesn't explain the damage, why the black models? are they just targeting those? nope. I think it's definitely something to do with the manufacturing process.

I know man but how is that our fault? It's Apple's. They're exploiters, as any occidental company which has its stuff made at those poor 3rd world countries.

If they don't want their products to be faulty (we've gotta assume that is the case) then pay the workers more or make sure they make it as it's supposed to.

My point being that the fatal conditions of those workers aren't the issue here. The issue are all these scuffed-outta-box phones. The fact that Apple are a bunch of exploiters (just like any other world wide company as I stated before) is another complete topic and should definitely be addressed, but it's not on the table right now.

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
Ok I am not an engineer, well ok I am , but not with Anodized materials , but something did cross my mind.

I looked up how Anodizing is done. If you look at how the iphone is engineered you can see that white flakes of aluminium are flying off as the tool rounds the device. These are under a lot of friction and heat and are most likely "Sticking" to the device as the tool does it's job. The white flakes are flying off as you can see in the video and some of them DO settle back onto the device.

Look here : Time: 04:55 - you can see white flakes sticking to the actual device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLCvajE7sgM

What chemicals will attack an anodize? High heat may be an issue. When tools which rotate at certain high speeds touch a device it causes friction and heat.

After machining, I am pretty sure that the frames go through a washing, rinsing and drying process BEFORE they move on to get anodized. That's pretty much standard procedure.

deeelz

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Model Number: MD299
Group2:
Production week: 35 (September)
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB

It has a small dot of the silver aluminium on the side, not sure what what I should make of my production batch? Can someone help me out with that one?

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
I know man but how is that our fault? It's Apple's. They're exploiters, as any occidental company which has its stuff made at those poor 3rd world countries.

If they don't want their products to be faulty (we've gotta assume that is the case) then pay the workers more or make sure they make it as it's supposed to.

My point being that the fatal conditions of those workers aren't the issue here. The issue are all these scuffed-outta-box phones. The fact that Apple are a bunch of exploiters (just like any other world wide company as I stated before) is another complete topic and should definitely be addressed, but it's not on the table right now.

It's not our fault! I never implied that it was. Of course it's not. I am not making an issue out of Foxconn's working conditions, I merely suggested it as being a reason as to why perhaps QC isn't so great.

I was offering a solution to the damaged models, you cannot leave a possible solution out because it doesn't suit you, every option has to be looked at. Not in depth of course, but it has to at least be considered.

----------

Group2:
Production week: 35 (September)

It has a small dot of the silver aluminium on the side, not sure what what I should make of my production batch? Can someone help me out with that one?

I really want to inspect one of these and see if I can pick off the small slivers of silver. If they come off the surface and leave the underneath clean , then it's another thing to consider.

Maynerz92

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Hi, returned my first iPhone 5 in black because of 2 dead pixels. Inspected second one in store and it looked fine. Got it home and noticed the tiniest blemish near the bottom left side where the metal meets then antenna, not to fussed as it will eventually get scratched, the power button also appears to wobble abit, anybody experiencing this?
Do you recon apple will issue cases or swaps for free?

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Hahaha, dude that's awesome.

I am more impressed by a guy who can kick my ass on the PS3 than by money. Heck I'd even pay for dinner.

I think some people just need "Things" in order to feel "Superior" or "worth"

I purchase lots of things online, and yes I do inspect them. Jewelry has to have sturdy clasps to hold the stone in place.

I doubt my mother with her expensive engagement ring (yes, ,she paid for it as my father couldn't afford it lol) would ever have purchased it with diamond imperfections or scratched up surfaces, she works hard dammit, and wants something she can pass down to her grandchildren.

Granted an iphone isn't passed down to your grandchildren but it's the same principle. I guess you could give the Jerk above a scratched up iphone 5 , he'd probably pay you £5000 for it.

----------

I know, but it's always good to have more than one person confirm :)

Some people have indeed had refurbs sent out to them.

----------

Both are affected, it's that black is showing it more...
Definitely Foxconn workers are to blame...

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
It's not our fault! I never implied that it was. Of course it's not. I am not making an issue out of Foxconn's working conditions, I merely suggested it as being a reason as to why perhaps QC isn't so great.

I was offering a solution to the damaged models, you cannot leave a possible solution out because it doesn't suit you, every option has to be looked at. Not in depth of course, but it has to at least be considered.

I think we're talking about different things here. LOL

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
I think I'm going to be returning mine. There are a few blemishes on the front chamfer, one at the top on the back and the power button rattles.

ADMProducer

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
My scuffed black iPhone 5:

Group2:
Production week: 37 (September)
Capacity: 16GB

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Oh yes, here are the details:

Group2:
Production week: 34 (August)

macfan88

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone received their replacement iPhone 5 yet? My status till shows replacement pending. Just want to confirm that's it a retail sealed new phone.

soos

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2008
Black 64GB scuffed

Group2:
Production week: 36 (September)
Capacity: 64GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.