Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
I've noticed a small rattling sound in the top of my iPhone, near the sleep/wake button. I assume it's not going to affect the phone considering my 4S had it as well. I've got a few days before my screen protector arrives, so I'll wait for the hype to die down before exchanging it at an Apple Store.

Eyes

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
I wouldn't be so bothered, but the guy next to me at work who has an iPhone 5 doesn't make any noise. Do you think Apple will have stock already for swap outs?

I need to track down some protectors as well, but for the back of the phone... Brought a pack with only front screen protectors lol

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
slight rattle at top of iPhone 5 ?

ive heard a few have this, any idea what it could be ?

im in uk and to replace it would take a while, dosent seem a major issue (for now)

would they fix it if I booked and appoinment and took it to my nearest apple store, or is it common ?

went on the apple forums, people have said it could be the lens, proximity sensor etc ....

iMatt.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Cupertino
Got the same issue, as well as scuffs/marks out of the box. Speaking to Apple today to hopefully get a replacement.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I'm surprised more people don't say anything about this rattle. It's more prounounced on some versus others but it CAN be heard...

DWHH1

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
I think the rattle is the small piece of plastic that sits above the internal on/off switch its not the camera. Try holding the button still and shaking the phone and the rattle should go away.

kamran9558

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I think the rattle is the small piece of plastic that sits above the internal on/off switch its not the camera. Try holding the button still and shaking the phone and the rattle should go away.

I have tried this but it still rattles

Pooliekaty

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
I have this problem, and its quite annoying whenever you put the phone down you can here it. Tries holding the button but that doesn't help. Got apple ringing me at 16.30 uk time.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
The rattle or noise you are hearing is the auto focus lens moving back/forth. This is normal and has been discussed / answered many times. I'm guessing other phones cameras do not have as much focus travel and therefore makes less noise. The iPhone camera is the best on the market and has a different design than all the others. The rattle is normal. Just ignore it.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
iratlle too. black 32gb. sounds like a tiny pin rattling about inside. completely different to the battery rattles some have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qctM18D4RI

Yeah, that's totally different than the rattle I think we're discussing here. The one from the camera lens sounds like "tiny marbles" clanking together.

I exchanged a 4s for this issue and it was discussed here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1284552/

I can't decide if I want to roll the dice and return the 5 for it or not :(

----------

Post #1 has a video of my first 4s with the camera rattle and post 47 has a video of the unboxing (and subsequent rattle-checking) of the new one they sent me.

alphabetagaga

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Hitchin, UK
so the 'pin' rattle is normal? don't really want to return unless it is truly defective. got a white screen i love and don't want to risk a yellow tint turning up :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've not noticed any rattle in my iPhone 5, I shook it near my ear and did not hear anything.

When I tested it, I took the headphones out of my ear as well :p

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Mine is definitely the camera. Hold up phone to your ear with camera toward ear...shake and hear the autofocus mechanism rattle. Turn camera away from ear...shake and still hear rattle, but obviously from the other side of the phone.

Sit back, relax and enjoy!

:)

mattonthemoon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
Toronto, ON
ive heard a few have this, any idea what it could be ?

im in uk and to replace it would take a while, dosent seem a major issue (for now)

would they fix it if I booked and appoinment and took it to my nearest apple store, or is it common ?

went on the apple forums, people have said it could be the lens, proximity sensor etc ....

My rattle is coming from the lock button. if i put my finger over the lock button gently, and shake, the rattle stops.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
One thing people need to GET is that all iPhone's are NOT made the exact same way. They don't tighten all the screws the exact same in all these phones. Some have loose power buttons some don't. Apple apparently caught on and stopped replacing them for this.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Yup it's this. turn on the camera and shake your phone, it should stop

it doesn't

It may not stop just by turning the camera on. It has to be actively using the lens (i.e. actively focusing) for this to stop. You can do some tests by doing some repetitive tapping and hear it then tap the screen with your other hand and allow it to focus as you're tapping to duplicate. As it's focusing, you won't hear the rattle nearly as much if at all. That's how you know it's the lens.

If you're like me however, your sleep/wake may be adding to the sound and so you may not be able to silence it 100% during testing unless you were born with an extra finger that you can lightly touch the sleep/wake button with as to silence it.

At the end of the day, if it bugs you, try sending it back. You'll be in the same spot as me. It kinda bugs me since this thing is an $850 object and anytime I plunk down that kinda money, I want it to be 99.99% perfect.

At the same time, it IS a mass-produced device that is prone to other actual defects that may bug you (and me) more such as the black paint (anodization) chipping off or the screen being yellow -- which the iPhone 5 screens are yellower, light bleed, bad battery, etc...

I'm about 55/45 with keep/send back. I don't have OCD but I do have a heightened level of anxiety over normal people lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.