Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyli2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Well my AT&T phone upgrade isnt till mid November. I know there wont be a new iphone but is there any upcoming android phones that are supposed to be on par with Galaxy s3 and Iphone 5

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Galaxy Note 2, Motorola Droid Maxx HD, and possibly a new Nexus device *fingers crossed*. May be more, I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I can't wait till Google announces that Samsung, Motorola, and HTC are all developing Nexus devices with vanilla Android that will all have unlocked bootloaders and receive OS updates directly from Google.

(A guy can dream, right)
The real dream would be a Nexus made by Nokia. :(

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
The real dream would be a Nexus made by Nokia. :(

Indeed.

tumblr_lwve5bG5781qewacoo1_r1_500.jpg

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nexus news... where are you?

Wouldn't the next NEXUS device correspond with the the next Android revision and with Jelly bean still so fresh and still lots of rolling out to do, I wouldn't be surprised if the next NEXUS isn't announced till beginning of next year.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Wouldn't the next NEXUS device correspond with the the next Android revision and with Jelly bean still so fresh and still lots of rolling out to do, I wouldn't be surprised if the next NEXUS isn't announced till beginning of next year.

Its been one Nexus a year so far, and the last one came out 11 months ago.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Galaxy note 2 is that one i'm watching! I think it's looking really really nice, hope it stands up in reviews. Can't come out sooner.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If the Galaxy Nexus 2 is announced I will just poop my pants in excitement. That is all.

Does Google mix things up when selecting a manufacturer for nexus? I mean they used HTC for the original Nexus and then Samsung for the second. What are the odds of them using a different manufacturer for the third iteration

If its not going to be Samsung, then I'd guess it would be Motorola just because Google now owns them

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Does Google mix things up when selecting a manufacturer for nexus? I mean they used HTC for the original Nexus and then Samsung for the second. What are the odds of them using a different manufacturer for the third iteration

If its not going to be Samsung, then I'd guess it would be Motorola just because Google now owns them

I guess that's a point, I think I would still prefer Samsung though.

SyncFx

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I'm not too sure. The only rumors I've seen of a new Android phone has some specs that are similar to the LG Optimus G, this was a couple of days ago. Annnnd I just found this article posted on the 19th. Looks like LG to me.

http://androidcommunity.com/lg-optimus-nexus-could-be-googles-next-smartphone-20120919/

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I guess that's a point, I think I would still prefer Samsung though.

Agreed -I think Samsung has some really nice phone designs. While I've owned a Droid x, I think the Motorola designed phones lack the same sexiness that Samsung provides.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Just a point of clarification but Samsung has done the last two Nexus devices (Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus), making the next device(s) the fourth generation.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

The second and third were by Samsung (Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus).

The next Nexus will be the fourth in the line.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Why not just release all phones "nexus" :s that will solve the only issue android OS seems to have

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just a point of clarification but Samsung has done the last two Nexus devices (Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus), making the next device(s) the fourth generation.

I forgot about the S - thanks for the reminder :eek:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I can't wait till Google announces that Samsung, Motorola, and HTC are all developing Nexus devices with vanilla Android that will all have unlocked bootloaders and receive OS updates directly from Google.

(A guy can dream, right)

I'm actually not convinced multiple Nexus from different manufacturers is a good thing. It might sound great on paper, but I'd rather they focused on one device and made that device superb. I'm also worried about how updates will roll out in the future. I already think Google has made missteps with previous roll outs (Nexus S getting JB later than the GN, for example. Or Verizon GN getting the JB a month+ later, even if it's Verizon's fault). I'd imagine it'd be even more complicated if they need to roll it out across 3-5 new Nexus devices, plus the previous iterations of GN's, plus possibly the Nexus S.

How would it sell too? Would all three devices from Samsung, LG, Sony sell on the Play Store? And would they all be the same prices?

I'm open to the idea -- but not sold -- of proliferating the Nexus line, but it'd be a hard feat to pull off well and may actually hurt the Nexus line. The idea of the Nexus is already so fragile of a concept, plagued by horrible launches (the Nexus 7 being the only exception). Time will tell.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.