Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Location services are still a drain, just as they are on every other iPhone. If you see the little triangle/arrow on your status bar, it means you've got an app running in the background that is constantly polling your GPS. Double-tap your home button to close that app to eliminate the battery drain. Also, in Settings -> Privacy, only enable location services for those apps that you want to poll your location.

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
mine has been pretty good. I gave it a full charge when i got it. Then ran it down to 2%, full charge again. Now it on 34% with 4 hours 52mins usage and 1day 7 hours standby :) That is no LTE, wifi always on, bluetooth always off

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
Thanks all.
Well to report, the battery life is much better after that discharge and full recharge for about 8 hours. However, it's still draining quicker than I'd like.
I am hoping that another of the same today will sort it out completely.

bkea

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Brisbane, QLD
Just charged mine, so I can't post any screenshots now. Will post some tomorrow.

Mine would currently be something like

Usage:2 hrs
Standbye: 8-9 hrs

Not that happy with this...

Edit: This was with LTE turned off. I also lost 16% in 1 1/2 hrs, while in flight mode.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Tomorrow will be the first work day since iPhone 5, and I'll have a better idea what battery life is really like.

tkwlee

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
Thanks all.
Well to report, the battery life is much better after that discharge and full recharge for about 8 hours. However, it's still draining quicker than I'd like.
I am hoping that another of the same today will sort it out completely.

Just curious if you have restored any backup from previous iPhone. Thx

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
i made it with 6h 43m of usage, 1day 8h 34m of stand by before it shut off... doing a battery calibration now.

(this was 4G usage) no LTE. gaming, safari, pandora, phone and texts, i think there was even maybe 20mins of nav.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
I am starting to think there is an issue with iPhone 5 battery use.

Mine discharges very fast in use. I initially thought it was a battery calibration issue, because the device is new.

But after a few cycles the problem remains.
Yesterday I left the house on a full charge, but a few hours of moderate use the percentage dived down and by 7PM the phone was dead.

The GPS/Navigating mode in Maps seems to be a major culprit. But other moderate uses also tear through the battery very fast indeed.

There's a number of threads on the Apple forums with people seeing the same thing.

Given the lack of coverage of this issue, perhaps its not affecting all users. If it is not all users. Then it's either a quirk in the software/settings, or a manufacturing defect.

A fix that works for everyone would prove that it's not a hardware defect.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Battery drain overnight iphone 5

Is anyone having issues with about a 20% battery drain overnight. Should be no more than 5% usually. It appears in the stats there was about 3 hrs of usage . Have very few notifications and only 1 push account(was never an issue) Checked location services and no app appeared to ask overnight. Even closed off apps in the tray.

I heard there maybe some type of wifi issue (maybe or maybe not related to the speed thing) that the phone is usimg resources trying to connect.

Also does anyone know the affects of DO NOT DISTURB on overnight batt life ? Would think it helps

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Sorry yes should have clarified. Thats not the point for me. I dont have it plugged in nor do i usually due to my outlet situation. More interested in why there was usage accumulated when it shld have been all standby.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Sorry yes should have clarified. Thats not the point for me. I dont have it plugged in nor do i usually due to my outlet situation. More interested in why there was usage accumulated when it shld have been all standby.

Push email? iCloud sync? iCloud backup running? Other processes in the background?

I have Exchange sync setup to push on mine and I saw about 6% drain between midnight and 7:00 AM.

I suggest rebooting the phone just before you go to bed tonight to clear any unexpected process and see what the drain is overnight. Does it improve? If yes, probably something you had running, if not, then maybe a trip to the Apple store.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Is anyone having issues with about a 20% battery drain overnight. Should be no more than 5% usually.

Overnight battery drain of 5%? Whaaaaat?!?!?

More like 25-50%... DO NOT DISTURB turns the vibrate and ringer off, not the phone nor data connection. LOL

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
Well icloud does its backup in the middle of the night so if it was the firs tbackup from the iphone 5 or you had some major changes that needed to be backed up or some sort of network congestion, slowing down the icloud backup, it would drain the battery.

I'm partially confused about this not charging overnight situation. Since my very first cell phone, its always been standard procedure to plug it in overnight to charge, same with laptops, bluetooth headsets, pretty much anything that i need to have a full battery throughout the day. Are there really people who do not charge their phones over night? Not being a dick, just seriously wondering.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
Took mine off the charger at midnight and messed around for 20 minutes. I was still at 100% when I put it down. When I woke up 6 hours later I was at 98%. Not too bad.

vbtwo31984

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Overnight battery drain of 5%? Whaaaaat?!?!?

More like 25-50%... DO NOT DISTURB turns the vibrate and ringer off, not the phone nor data connection. LOL

Something's really wrong with your phone if it drains 25-50% overnight. The standby time is measured in days, it should not drain so quickly.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well icloud does its backup in the middle of the night so if it was the firs tbackup from the iphone 5 or you had some major changes that needed to be backed up or some sort of network congestion, slowing down the icloud backup, it would drain the battery.

I'm partially confused about this not charging overnight situation. Since my very first cell phone, its always been standard procedure to plug it in overnight to charge, same with laptops, bluetooth headsets, pretty much anything that i need to have a full battery throughout the day. Are there really people who do not charge their phones over night? Not being a dick, just seriously wondering.

I don't use iCloud for backup so I'm not certain but doesn't your phone have to be plugged in to a power source for backup to be activated?

Update: Just looked in the iCloud backup settings on my iPad and it does have to be plugged in so iCloud backup could not have been the culprit.

tkwlee

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
Mine discharges very fast in use. I initially thought it was a battery calibration issue, because the device is new.

But after a few cycles the problem remains.
Yesterday I left the house on a full charge, but a few hours of moderate use the percentage dived down and by 7PM the phone was dead.

The GPS/Navigating mode in Maps seems to be a major culprit. But other moderate uses also tear through the battery very fast indeed.

There's a number of threads on the Apple forums with people seeing the same thing.

Given the lack of coverage of this issue, perhaps its not affecting all users. If it is not all users. Then it's either a quirk in the software/settings, or a manufacturing defect.

A fix that works for everyone would prove that it's not a hardware defect.

Will it help after turning off GPS? Or it helps when turning off Maps' GPS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.