Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Any chance this could mean 5 million plus however many preorders. It possible that this meant 5 million sold in stores. Then the number would be closer to 8 million

I think the 5M includes pre-orders. What I'm curious about is whether this includes phones sold through the carriers. Does anyone remember announcements from previous years? I feel like at&t and other carriers will release their own sales figures separate from Apple's.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Yeah that new Samsung add ridiculing the exact customers you want to buy your phone looks like a good idea now huh?

fatespawn

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2009
Chicagoish
Just shows why analysts are analysts and not CEO's

How could apple sell more than "sold out"?

Maybe if they spend more time analyzing the supply chains than the lines of people camping out they'd have better credibility.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Business Insider already has a headline up: "iPhone opening weekend sales come in worse than expected". Ok since the Apple store is showing 3-4 weeks for delivery, and carriers like Verizon are saying they won't have stock until the 19th isn't it mor a case of not being able to meet the demand? I mean if sales were weak the phone wouldn't be hard to get would it?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
i would like to see those fandroids here right now... because i wan to shout at their faces "WHO SAID APPLE WAS FOREVER DOOMED?!" :D

You should see them all over at GSMArena! I've never seen such a bunch of hardcore fanboys in my life! They are currently having a field day with the Maps issue & the alleged chipping of the black iPhone 5.

Sad people.

chucknelson

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Remember...these things need to be built first!

Maybe the analysts should remember that there is a limit to how many widgets you can build given X weeks/months of lead time. Apparently only perceived demand was taken into account. Why are these people's opinions valued in the market?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
we are working hard to get an iPhone 5 into the hands of every customer who wants one as quickly as possible

By "we" Tim mostly means the Chinese and the Fedex employees.

5 Million - not too shabby for an extra row of icons and some speed fix.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Business Insider already has a headline up: "iPhone opening weekend sales come in worse than expected". Ok since the Apple store is showing 3-4 weeks for delivery, and carriers like Verizon are saying they won't have stock until the 19th isn't it mor a case of not being able to meet the demand? I mean if sales were weak the phone wouldn't be hard to get would it?

The online pre-orders sold out way faster than last year so analysts assumed that stores would sell twice as many over the weekend too.

They somehow forgot that clicking on a website isn't the same as getting a human body into a store and that it may not be physically possible to double the amount of people in an Apple store from last year's super-busy time period.

But never the type to let things like 'logic' or 'physics' get in their way, analysts pushed ahead with the "they'll sell twice as many" idea, no matter how little sense it made.

thenewyorkgod

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
I wonder how many of the 5 mil are upgrades vs new iphone customers. I imagine a significant number are upgrades from the 3g/4/4s - that means there are millions of used iphones about to flood ebay and craigslist. What will that mean for those of using looking to score an awesome deal on an older model?

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Major miss for the stock. But it looks like its more of a supply problem than a sale problem. There will be a chance to get into the stock because I expect a 100$ drop over the next few weeks.

Yes because selling out is a reason for people to sell off the stock. Tim only knows how many pre-orders are sitting waiting to be filled as they build more units. It's a supply issue. Not a lack of demand.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Any chance this could mean 5 million plus however many preorders. It possible that this meant 5 million sold in stores. Then the number would be closer to 8 million

The units shipped would be considered "sold," but not the ones not yet shipped.

Its total sales including the pre-orders that shipped. However it does not includes the sales that are still on wait.

Sounds like first world Apple problem. :rolleyes:

This is another case of analysts getting carried away with their expectations. Apple announced 1 million pre-orders for the 4S and sold 4 million the first weekend, so analysts extrapolated 2 million pre-orders into 8-10 million sales. While that would have been incredible, 5 million isn't bad. It's probably more a sign of supply constraint than anything else. Remember, Apple never published any formal sales predictions for the iPhone 5 launch.

We'll probably see analysts ratchet back their sales estimates for the September quarter, and some might re-think their 50-60 million estimates for the December quarter. It's going to come down to supply, it seems. However, there is another launch this Friday in 22 countries, plus additional launch week sales in the original 8 that will get into this quarter.

Lots of stores had stock, but not throughout the day. Lines were orderly but not around the block all weekend.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I'm sure Apple is disappointed by these numbers. Heck, AT&T alone sold 3 million of the 4S on opening weekend last year.

charliecc

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
It would fail they said.

No not correct. We said the phone was a fail, but it would sell like hot cakes because of the fanboys, and indeed we were correct on all accounts.

Wonder how many of those 5 million have been or are in the process of being returned, 2 million?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.