Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Yeah that new Samsung add ridiculing the exact customers you want to buy your phone looks like a good idea now huh?

It is hard to imagine that Samsung is targeting the relatively few fanatics that stand in lines outside retail stores. They instead are making fun of those people, in an attempt to make normal people distance themselves from the Apple brand, lest they be identified by others as a potential nutcase.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
My iPhone 5 order with AT&T still says processing. Is that counted in the 5 million figure, or does Apple only count as sales those that have shipped?

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
This is settled then.

The next iPhone will be iPhone 6, not iPhone 5S, so that they can sell one extra million of them in the opening weekend.

SirDaav

Jun 26, 2010
since when...

Since when did apple start making sales announcements at 5am Pacific time?

Doesn't that seem odd?

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
You mean like the majority of Macrumors users now? :rolleyes:

The only sad thing is that the Apple fanboys that populate this site now are completely unable to see that they are exactly the same as the fanboys which populate any other site.

There was a time when I would show my Apple colors with pride, but these days it's like wearing an MTV t-shirt.

I love fanboys. I really do. I can see nothing wrong with someone liking something too much. Sure, the crazier fanboys may be deluded but who are they hurting?

That's why I will always back the fanboys in any argument with the troll or troll like flamebaiters. I don't care if the trolls are right because they're joyless gits who seem to enjoy ruining other people's fun.

Look at it this way, there are many popular artists who I don't like but I don't go and stand outside their concerts and make fun of their fans. If they're having fun and not hurting anyone then I say good for them. Similarly there are some Apple fans who are deluded or who lack a sense of proportion but why should that matter? I don't go to Blackberry fansites and take the piss out of them because of the plastic keyboards and falling sales. I don't try to make Nokia fans feel bad for their preferred brand's lack of recent success. Why would I?

I think this is where the original poster who brought up GSMArena was going with his post - it isn't that they are big Android fans but rather that they spend so much time flaming Apple. That's a negative sort of fanboyism. It's small minded and unpleasant.

I love Apple products. If you or anyone else loves products by any other company, cool. It's all about being happy, when you get down to it.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
where are all the fandroid commenters?? They were every 2nd post in the pre launch threads? :p

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I've been to the AppleStore a few times to play with the iPhone 5. I would love to buy one to link it to all my other Apple kit but I just can't get past that horrible taller screen. I don't know why they simply couldn't build 2 iPhones - a 3.5" iPhone Air and a 4.5" iPhone Pro. Surely they can come up with a way for iOS to recognise what screen size you're using and automatically put the on-screen controls in the right place. How hard can it be?

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
Very interesting news. I hope the analyst who said "6 million worst case scenario" is shot and/or hung. Ridiculous overestimates like that will just crush the stock today - sell, sell, sell.

Then, hopefully I can buy into apple for the low 600's range and ride that sucker back up!

On a brighter note: I can easily see this number close to doubling over the next week. These numbers only include orders that have been processed and shipped (billed). I know MANY people who still have orders that haven't shipped, and what's more, many other people waiting for stock in-store to purchase.

Not to mention that anyone who bought a white iPhone 4 will have their upgrades comes November, just in time for a Christmas rush! :apple:

----------

I've been to the AppleStore a few times to play with the iPhone 5. I would love to buy one to link it to all my other Apple kit but I just can't get past that horrible taller screen. I don't know why they simply couldn't build 2 iPhones - a 3.5" iPhone Air and a 4.5" iPhone Pro. Surely they can come up with a way for iOS to recognise what screen size you're using and automatically put the on-screen controls in the right place. How hard can it be?

Get the iPhone 4S for cheaper....? It's still a GREAT phone.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Ah so this is why their stock is down over 2% pre-market as analysts had wild predictions of 8-10 million sales. Being that every store (Apple and carriers) I went to yesterday was sold out I wonder if it was a case of not being able to build them fast enough?

This is exactly it, and they do not count anything as sold until it ships so who knows what the backlog is at the online store and other retailers that are selling inventory that isn't there yet, I'd imagine it far exceeds any analyst number.

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Any chance this could mean 5 million plus however many preorders. It possible that this meant 5 million sold in stores. Then the number would be closer to 8 million

Preorders that were delivered (in the first 3 days) would have been counted, preorders that weren't would not have been - and by delivered I mean actually received by the customer.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
So, some people think the iPhone 5 sales are underwhelmed just because an ANALYST said it would sale around 8 million. Remember, these are the same analysts who come up with these ridiculous launch dates for every iPhone and are NEVER right.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
The only sad thing is that the Apple fanboys that populate this site now are completely unable to see that they are exactly the same as the fanboys which populate any other site.

No way. Go to AppleInsider and check out the ridiculous posts by certain regulars*. Those fanbois are totally nuts. The people here are extremely logical and moderate in comparison.

*jragosta, tallestskil, solipsism, apple][ and several others come to mind...

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009

It's probably more an issue of keeping the product lines as clear and simple as possible. While I agree, a choice of screen sizes would be nice, there is something to be said for having one phone. You want an iPhone? Well this is it!

As for the screen; I've been using mine since Friday and it still feels a bit on the large size for me. I would have been perfectly happy for them to stick with a 3.5" screen - I genuinely believe that is the perfect size for a smartphone.

That said, the taller screen is great for some things. I find that, along with full-screen browsing mode, the new screen makes browsing in landscape far more useful. Viewing video is another big plus. The new aspect ratio is already starting to feel good - it was odd at first but I'm getting used to it.

The iPhone 5 is perhaps the most beautiful piece of technology I've ever owned - and that's coming from someone who loved the 4/4S design. The new iPhone is just astonishingly minimalist - the very apex of pared back design.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
You mean like the majority of Macrumors users now? :rolleyes:

There was a time when I would show my Apple colors with pride, but these days it's like wearing an MTV t-shirt.

It's awful on the CNET website. It's completely infested with Android fanboys. They surf every single tech site on the internet to inject their 5th grade dumbass comments about Android. Yes, much like here.

Worldinmii

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
It is hard to imagine that Samsung is targeting the relatively few fanatics that stand in lines outside retail stores. They instead are making fun of those people, in an attempt to make normal people distance themselves from the Apple brand, lest they be identified by others as a potential nutcase.

Although I would agree that there were not 5 million people lined up to get the new iPhone, I wouldn't say "relatively few fanatics that stand in lines....", isn't that accurate either....there were TONNES!!! :)

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I love fanboys. I really do. I can see nothing wrong with someone liking something too much. Sure, the crazier fanboys may be deluded but who are they hurting?

That's why I will always back the fanboys in any argument with the troll or troll like flamebaiters. I don't care if the trolls are right because they're joyless gits who seem to enjoy ruining other people's fun.

Look at it this way, there are many popular artists who I don't like but I don't go and stand outside their concerts and make fun of their fans. If they're having fun and not hurting anyone then I say good for them. Similarly there are some Apple fans who are deluded or who lack a sense of proportion but why should that matter? I don't go to Blackberry fansites and take the piss out of them because of the plastic keyboards and falling sales. I don't try to make Nokia fans feel bad for their preferred brand's lack of recent success. Why would I?

I think this is where the original poster who brought up GSMArena was going with his post - it isn't that they are big Android fans but rather that they spend so much time flaming Apple. That's a negative sort of fanboyism. It's small minded and unpleasant.

I love Apple products. If you or anyone else loves products by any other company, cool. It's all about being happy, when you get down to it.

You seem to be a bit deluded yourself. You state that Android fans are always slagging off Apple fans without mentioning all the Apple fan sites were Apple fans relentlessly slag off anything and everything that's not Apple, including Android, Samsung, Microsoft, etc. It's a two way street - both are as bad as each other in my experience.

You also seem to intimate that these kind of vicious anti-everyone who isn't Apple isn't harming anyone. Well have you never wondered why so many people outside of the Apple community hate Apple fans with a passion? They see Apple fans as arrogant and smug.

Personally I don't like the fanatical fanboys on either side. I think they are all idiots and the world would be a better place without them. I buy what I like whether it's Apple kit or someone's kit. And I say it like it is. I don't like the iPhone 5 so I say so. Doesn't mean I hate Apple, just means I don't like the iPhone 5.

I like the MacRumors forums because it's one of the few (if not the only) Apple forum these days were you can have a sensible, intelligent debate without a load of idiots slagging everyone off for saying something negative. Long may that continue.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Where are all of you "WHAT WAS APPLE THINKING???" and "WORST IPHONE EVER" people now...:p

(raises hand) Right here!

I said sales would fall short of expectations, and they did. 5 million vs. the "worst case" prediction of 6 million. Would have been more if it hadn't been long and skinny with a too-narrow screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.