Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GaryC

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2008
Something's really wrong with your phone if it drains 25-50% overnight. The standby time is measured in days, it should not drain so quickly.

I had 100% when I left home this morning and after a 1.5 hr commute and maybe 30 mins playing music, I was left with 60%. Although I can turn more stuff off, there is nothing on the Iphone 5 that wasn't running on the Iphone 4 (apart from siri)

I don't know where the days estimate of standby time comes from as I doubt I'd get through the working day!

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Do people not set up their new phones as new and not restore from a backup??

This was from last night before I plugged it in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 123

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Took mine off the charger at midnight and messed around for 20 minutes. I was still at 100% when I put it down. When I woke up 6 hours later I was at 98%. Not too bad.

damn, what's the secret? mind posting some of your settings? thanks

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
Two major complaints with the 4/4S was the battery life and low light/indoor camera performance. So the problem I have with the 5 is that they came up with brilliant solutions with a smaller processor and shrunk down camera components. But instead of actually using that reclaimed space to give us a bigger battery or larger lens/sensor for the camera then they chopped it out by making it unnecessarily thinner.

I think the new iPhone is the best one yet but I dont like that going thinner is affecting the overall performance because, to me, USING the phone means a lot more than admiring its profile.

Last edited:

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I cycled my battery twice since I got it. This morning I was reading articles on MacRumors over the LTE network with brightness on 50% and this is the usage report. I've had to recharge during the afternoon every day since I got the phone. Do these numbers look OK to you or should I return for a new one?

Lost another 3% while writing this post.

7DAD0174-C1DF-4A00-9798-1D766FF858F5-1935-000000AC9846FF29_zpscb11bfdc.jpg

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I'd try restoring then calibrate the battery. If that doesn't change anything you should probably take it in to be looked at. I remember during the iPhone 4 release people had phones arrive with very low battery life. It was a sign the battery wasn't fully functioning and was eligible for replacement. Wait a few days and see of some at home remedies work first...especially if you have an iPhone in good condition. :)

Overnight battery drain of 5%? Whaaaaat?!?!?

More like 25-50%... DO NOT DISTURB turns the vibrate and ringer off, not the phone nor data connection. LOL

My iPhones have always been in the 3-5% range overnight if I leave the celluar connection on. Normally I put it in airplane mode since I have a home phone and don't need to charge everyday.

alphabetagaga

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Hitchin, UK
location services enabled seems a BIG drainer. turned mine off. just fully charged mine to 100% with wifi on, checked a few emails but apart from that, just been sitting idle for the last hour. still on 100% :) it is my first full charge from 0% since purchase.

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
Currently 15 hours standby 4 hours useage and 71%. Feels a lot better than my 4s battery, I don't have to charge every night!

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
Alright so I tried something, I left my phone to charge to 100%, disabled LTE so that it was on 3G and WiFi only, then at 11:25 pm EST I pulled the power cord out and just left it on the desk overnight, completely untouched for the entire duration. At 7:45 am EST I checked the battery level, it had dropped to 90% in just over 8 hours. Then I checked the usage times in the settings, I was fairly surprised:

Usage: 5 hours, 38 minutes
Standby: 8 hours, 22 minutes

Really? 5 hours and 38 minutes of usage time? Nothing happened to the phone overnight so I don't know where over 5 hours of usage came from, but my only conclusion is that there must be some processes that shouldn't but running, running.

Does anybody know what's going on here? I have an iPhone 4 and with the same settings and conditions that my iPhone 5 is in, there's a huge difference. This never happened with the iPhone 4.

I'm very upset about this.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
My 5 was charged fully when I went to bed. This morning, 8 hours later, was still at 100%. So I'd say any draining overnight indicates something wrong.

Dolphster

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Battery Drain - Significant

Uh-oh...Major battery drain issue.
BTW..I've had every iPhone, so not skewed on my perspective here.
2 out of 3 nights, I've gone to bed with the iPhone 5 at or near 100% charged.
I only sleep 5 hours exactly....I wake up and the phone is warning me that less than 8% battery life remains.
I'm not doing anything different than my standard routine that I've used for every single iPhone.

Only a few apps were "running", weather channel, Walgreen, Target.
Phone set to pull email every 30 minutes
Running on Wi-Fi.
Phone laying flat on night stand.
I turn off-on, the phone at least once a day to help clear issues.

This is a massive Problem for me....any suggestions???
How does a phone not being used burn thru 90%+ life in exactly 5 hours????

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
Its the new built in facebook options that were draining my battery guys, just delete your profile in there and just use the app like before. Worked for me.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
This is an ios6 issue; most people who updated to ios6 on their older models also have battery drain (check ios6 forum)

Brad02

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
I just restored my iPhone as new and started from scratch. I'll see how that turns out. Otherwise the battery life is horrible. Way worse than my 4S.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
OK thanks. I'll try a restore and recalibrate tonight. If that doesn't work, I'll call Apple.

I'd try restoring then calibrate the battery. If that doesn't change anything you should probably take it in to be looked at. I remember during the iPhone 4 release people had phones arrive with very low battery life. It was a sign the battery wasn't fully functioning and was eligible for replacement. Wait a few days and see of some at home remedies work first...especially if you have an iPhone in good condition. :)

My iPhones have always been in the 3-5% range overnight if I leave the celluar connection on. Normally I put it in airplane mode since I have a home phone and don't need to charge everyday.

I cycled my battery twice since I got it. This morning I was reading articles on MacRumors over the LTE network with brightness on 50% and this is the usage report. I've had to recharge during the afternoon every day since I got the phone. Do these numbers look OK to you or should I return for a new one?

Lost another 3% while writing this post.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
Its the new built in facebook options that were draining my battery guys, just delete your profile in there and just use the app like before. Worked for me.
Can't be my issue, I don't have a Facebook account so I haven't put in any account info, though, I do have Twitter. Twitter was never an issue on my iPhone 4 though.

This is an ios6 issue; most people who updated to ios6 on their older models also have battery drain (check ios6 forum)
Really? I sure hope so because I'm paranoid that I have a defective phone. I even have a Genius appointment set for today, should I even bother going to it if it's an iOS 6 thing?

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Most the usage was on wifi. Now I'm at work an lte is taking its toll on the battery. Roughly 1% every 3 minutes.

I'm happy with the battery though. I think others might have defective batteries or they didn't charge it right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 112

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Current:

Usage - 30 minutes (20 minute call, 10 browsing)
Standby - 2 Hours, 40 Minutes
Battery - 96%

The other day:

Usage - 3 Hours, 50 Minutes
Standby - 14 Hours, 38 Minutes
Battery - 37%

This seemed good to me. I haven't "needed" to charge it through out the day yet. But I usually do anyway... Habit

----------

Really? I sure hope so because I'm paranoid that I have a defective phone. I even have a Genius appointment set for today, should I even bother going to it if it's an iOS 6 thing?

If its not a problem for you to go in... It might be worth it because they will make a note of it on your account. I was having issues with the ear speaker on my 4S. The first time, they suggested I restore the phone as a new phone. This helped and it worked for a week or so, then the problem came back.

The second time, they just replaced my because he saw I had been there once before and they did not know what was causing it (at the time at least)

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I think it all really depends on how the phone is setup. I mean I have 5 emails address with Push. That certainly would drain the battery more than someone who had the same exact setup for everything else and only 1 email account with push. There are just too many factors when comparing. My Ip4 typically had 7 hours of usage (I really don't pay attention to standby). My Ip5 which is setup exactly the same is getting about 5.5 hours. I'm assuming the LTE is the factor since I always have it on....

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Not necessarily, if you do certain things that tax the battery then I could see the battery running down quicker than Apples estimate.

Examples:
- say you are playing music while browsing the web, that's an extra battery drain.
- say you have the brightness at 100%, then you will get less battery life

These are just a few examples, there are many more you could be doing.

Also is the fact that the phone has only been in your possession for a whole 3 days. Give it some charge cycles (about 3 weeks) before jumping to conclusions about battery life.

well, my brightness was at 20% and i dont play music and watch videos and listen to music on the iphone. just basically check emails, texting, and google. that was it. nothing different than i did on ip4 and battery drained significantly faster.

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
US
When I first got it, stand by time was 1 day and like 5 hours. Now after 2 cycles, it's down to 16 hours. I thought cycling was supposed to help :confused:

bsmith4832

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
North East, USA
Mine is holding up better than my 4S for sure.

Right now I'm at 78%.

Usage: 2 hour, 12 minutes
Standby: 12 hours, 24 minutes

I haven't used the phone much since I took it off the charger last night but if it averages out - I should be looking at about 8-10 hours of usage.

Reality is, I don't watch the numbers too closely, I just base it off real world testing and charge whenever it needs it. So far, I'm quite pleased.

sal74

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Just completed my first cycle:

Usage: 6 Hours, 55 Minutes
Standby: 1 Day, 0 Hours

I am currently at 1%.

Fido, 64GB! In Toronto!

What do you think of this battery life? Previously, I restored from an iCloud backup and will most likely be restoring as a "new" phone setup to see the battery life difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.