Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Can anyone look in their system.log and see if you have any messages similar to:

mdworker[299]: Unable to talk to lsboxd

sandboxd[296] ([299]): mdworker(299) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd

kernel[0]: Sandbox: sandboxd(314) deny mach-lookup com.apple.coresymbolicationd

Not really having any issues....but did start noticing these since installing 10.8.2 Combo.

Thanks for any help.

-Kevin

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Can anyone look in their system.log and see if you have any messages similar to:

Not really having any issues....but did start noticing these since installing 10.8.2 Combo.

Thanks for any help.

-Kevin

yep along with some warnings when opening system prefs.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
yep along with some warnings when opening system prefs.

Cool...thanks for the quick response. Doing some searches doesn't turn anything up.....but I did search back through my logs and these didn't start until after I installed 10.8.2.

-Kevin

jianglai

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
New York
Cool...thanks for the quick response. Doing some searches doesn't turn anything up.....but I did search back through my logs and these didn't start until after I installed 10.8.2.

-Kevin

I had these. I also noticed that spotlight will randomly start to index my drive even though it is already indexed. It could be related because mdworker and mdimporter are used by spotlight to monitor disk file changes.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California

Thanks for any help.

-Kevin

I have these as well since the update to 10.8.2. Didn't have them before either.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Thanks everyone. Good to know I'm not alone. Not having any issues with it...just noticing.

-Kevin

----------

I had these. I also noticed that spotlight will randomly start to index my drive even though it is already indexed. It could be related because mdworker and mdimporter are used by spotlight to monitor disk file changes.

Did you just start noticing Spotlight in the menubar having the little dot? Does performance suffer?

I haven't had this happen...but I wonder if a rebuild of Spotlight DB would fix it.

-Kevin

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I rebuilt the spotlight index and the message is still coming up. I haven't noticed Spotlight automatically rebuilding my index randomly before or now.

Not causing any issues on my system, just with my OCD :)

jonathan.muth

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I have got the same problem here. Mdworker and Mds take up between 40% and 60% of my CPU resources. Excluding all drives from Spotlight does not make a difference. Neither does reindexing.

It makes using my Mac virtually impossible – the fans keep spinning.

bobkivi

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I am having same problem. Updated to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 today. Also having trouble with it going to sleep randomly (when on battery power). Mine is a 2.6Ghz rMBP and it is 3 weeks old and I have nothing but regrets in buying it. My "e" key grinds when you push it, the battery doesn't last very long (and no improvement with 10.8.2). My MBP 17 was solo much more reliable....I am really disappointed with the machine (when it runs, it is fast, but it's unreliable)...:(

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

Thanks for any help.

-Kevin

I am having the same issue, which seems to be related to wake-from-sleep problems since updating to 10.8.2...my computer is awake but the screen is dark. Any tips?

blatopilot

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
I am having the same issue, which seems to be related to wake-from-sleep problems since updating to 10.8.2...my computer is awake but the screen is dark. Any tips?

I'm having the exact same problem. Just noticed it today.

No sleep even though screen is dark. Increased MDS (spotlight) activity and increased sandboxd activity.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California

No issues with sleep here but followed your advice on removing the /Library/Caches/com.apple.coresymbolicationd folder. You'll need to CMD-I and add permissions for admin or your username before deleting.

I didn't have enough patience to see if it fixed it or not, but I re-installed ML by rebooting into recovery mode, CMD-R, and re-installed ML. I no longer get any mdworker errors in system logs. After re-install, the com.apple.coresymbolicationd folder is no longer there.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Again, as a reminder I'm not really seeing any issues with my machine....or at least not issues that I am noticing.....I just see the errors.

I did try this morning clearing both /Library/Caches and ~/Library/Caches

Didn't help....still seeing the errors in console.

-Kevin

resume

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Hi,

I have noticed those lines in the logs

Issues for me so far :

- fan is acting weird (starting and going up at times it did not use to)
- can not recover from black screen after sleep (I have to switch off one of my firewire drives to be able to wake up)

maybe those symptoms are not related but I thought I'd add to the reports

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I'm also seeing these log entries after the .2 update.

Also, like other posters in this thread, I don't think my iMac is ever sleeping as it should. The screen turns itself off, and I'm greeted with a password prompt when I wake the screen up again, but the console will be full of entries across the whole time that the computer should've been sleeping.

I've also noticed that the iMac is always available over my LAN, further suggesting that it's not actually sleeping. At first I thought the wake for network access problems had FINALLY been fixed, but obviously this turned out to be wishful thinking!

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I've been paying a bit more attention to my iMac since posting in this thread, and have since discovered that it is not going to sleep at all. Last night, I even manually sent it to sleep at around 10:45pm. Checking the log again this morning, it seems that it woke up at 11:10pm, with the log entry '24/09/2012 23:09:00.000 kernel[0]: Network wake from AirPort_AtherosNewma40' denoting the presumable reason, and then from 11:15pm onwards the log is full of '24/09/2012 23:16:50.129 mdworker[8880]: Unable to talk to lsboxd', '24/09/2012 23:16:50.181 sandboxd[8883]: ([8880]) mdworker(8880) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd' and '24/09/2012 23:16:50.000 kernel[0]: Sandbox: sandboxd(8883) deny mach-lookup com.apple.coresymbolicationd'.

I'm pretty pissed off about this: I've had enough trouble over the last year with waking for network access not working; now my £1,000 computer can't even go to sleep reliably. Pathetic.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Having the same problem. Wondered why the disk was thrashing when the Time Machine icon was not in use. Something is definitely amiss in Mountain Lion land; there's no reason Spotlight should be completely reindexing the drive often.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Kevin

I had the same problem - Safe Boot is your friend. ;)

Mac

-:apple:iMac-:apple:iPad-:apple:iPhone

So you are saying after safe-booting......the errors in console went away? Or are you talking about the sleep issues? And did you do anything in safe boot....or just restart normally afterwards?

-Kevin

whiskymac

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Spey Valley
Kevin

Safe Boot your machine - do nothing until complete -restart as normal - see if that helps with console errors - may even help the sleep issues.

Mac

:apple:iMac-:apple:iPad-:apple:iPhone

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Kevin

Safe Boot your machine - do nothing until complete -restart as normal - see if that helps with console errors - may even help the sleep issues.

Mac

:apple:iMac-:apple:iPad-:apple:iPhone

Ok done. Looking good so far......haven't seen the error pop back up.

I did clear caches this weekend....guess I should have just done a safe boot.

Will update if the error comes back.

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.