Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phanatical

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
long time lurker, just sign up to give thanks to the OP.
how long until the credits shows on my account? :confused: i forgot to ask the rep...

My rep said to give it up to 72 hours to show up on your online bill. However, I logged out & back in five minutes later and mine was already adjusted!

pyropringle

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Worked for me, thanks! Had no idea it could be done.

Used the chat, said they would waive this "this time." Yeah right, now that I know about it you can bet ill be checking in with them the next time I upgrade too.

beowulfPKR

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I have been an at&t customer since 2003, upgraded 3 iphones they refunded me all 3 upgrade fees plus tax (~$120) with basically just the "I'm a loyal customer please help me out". Thanks for the post encouraging me to live chat with them!

mlsusa

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Wasn't as smooth for me, but bottom line I got what I want (I think). Told flat out "no" to start, with the only option paying full price for the phone in order to avoid the fee. I then asked if there were any other options besides paying full price, again no dice. This time I was given an explanation that the fee was used for the resources needed to support their upgrade process (personnel and infrastructure used for activation, transfer, troubleshooting, etc) which is why I needed to pay it. Tried one last time by pulling the everyone-else-seemed-to-get-it-without-any-trouble and the I-have-been-a-long-time-customer-currently-in-good-standing cards. That's when the rep finally gave me the credit, but told me in a firm tone (if you can infer tone through a chat) that this was only a one time thing, and in the future I will have to pay the fees to get discounted upgrades. And the fee wasn't waived, I'll need to chat or call back when the charge hits my account and reference the chat I had today to get the credit.

So while it wasn't as pleasant or trouble-free at least based on what others have written on this thread, the rep was polite and I suppose he was just doing his job trying to hold the line and save his company $36. Nothing to complain about with AT&T or how any of this went down. Actually I'm okay with it even with the sorta hassle since I'm supposed to be getting a credit for a fee I was willing to pay for in the first place.

MemphisDave

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
My first time using the chat window, I was blatantly told that all of my friends must have lied when they said they got their fees waived. When I told him I had the chat logs as proof and gave him AT&T rep names, he simply refused to respond any longer.

I tried again, and said the same thing (and just as politely): that I had really been blindsided by the $60 in fees - the $36 upgrade fee, and the almost $30 in taxes and surcharges related to that fee. In under three minutes I was credited $94 for all the fees and surcharges they randomly applied.

If at first you don't succeed, keep trying. The first time I obviously got a very bitter employee who repeatedly called me a liar and basically told me tough luck, "if you want the fee waived, cancel your new phone."

Good Job! Try and Try again... too many of us received our upgrade fee credit within 3-4mins.

dazex

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks OP. Had my wife call in and they waived my free. And noted her account to waive once she upgrades in the future.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I have been an at&t customer since 2003, upgraded 3 iphones they refunded me all 3 upgrade fees plus tax (~$120) with basically just the "I'm a loyal customer please help me out". Thanks for the post encouraging me to live chat with them!

I have been with them since 1999 and have 6 lines. I pointed out I have 3 more lines not under contract at this time. They know you can go wherever you want, so it's in their interest to throw you a bone on this if you ask. They are counting on most people to not ask.

janita

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
I used the online chat. The representative said no at first but I reminded her that I was a long time AT&T customer with a good record and that, since I was out of contract, I could have switched to another carrier. At that point she said let me review your account and then after a minute or two she came back and said that the fee would be waived on a one time basis. I'm so glad I read this thread - many thanks to the OP and others that contributed advice.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
Thanks Mr. Obvious. I was gonna call in and ask for a waiver anyway, but I figured I would have to do some hassling. Got my fee waived through chat.

jorsuss

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007
I paid $250 for early upgrade plus $36. I did the online chat after seeing this and they gave me a $150 credit to my account. Thanks for the info.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Got them to waive the $36 upgrade fee and $36 number change fee. But they wouldn't waive the $18 transfer of service responsibility fee.

Last edited:

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
Got upgrade fees on 3 lines waived. Also waived iPad line fee when added to my data plan. Over $155 saved (fees are taxed).

Spoke to AT&T rep and explained I didn't feel these charges had merit since the phones were delivered to me and activated automatically. She explained the fees would always appear from an upgrade, but that she should be able to get approval to have them removed.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
sweet, i was able to get the $36 credit as well.
i got the spiel about the reason for the fee, but then i mentioned i had already paid the fee twice (once with orig ip4, and again when my wife got one).
the agent then very quickly granted the credit.
:)

kylu

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
My rep said to give it up to 72 hours to show up on your online bill. However, I logged out & back in five minutes later and mine was already adjusted!

just checked and the credit was applied.
now to convinced them to unlock my ip5 so i can use on my overseas trips:rolleyes:

maladroit

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2006
Just had luck as well. Was able to get my upgrade fee waived as well as an earlier upgrade (6+ months ago). I didn't even ask for the latter.

They also said something about crediting some sort of prorated fee? I'm not quite sure what that was about. Does anyone know what this fee would be in reference to?

ignign0kt

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
The rep credited me too. Where would I see the change? Right now my balance is still $0 on my account

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
AT&T ended up never even charging me an upgrade fee even though I thought they said they would when I checked my upgrade eligibility.

Has that happened to anyone?

Or are they waiting to spring it on me later?

My cc was only charged for the phone + my sales tax.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.