Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Maybe it's my age, or that I've been using a Sony console for a long time now, but Nintendo's latest doesn't really interest me at all. It's the least I've ever been interested in their showings actually. I was very close to buying a Wii, after buying every single one of their consoles since the beginning, but never did. I think my gaming style has changed, and is more "hardcore" now I suppose. Maybe it's that the PlayStation 3 does much more than play games, I'm not sure. The Wii U still looks more geared towards the casual audience though, which is not a bad thing at all. It's just not for me anymore. So, no I will not be getting one. I will admit however, I miss their characters something awful.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I'm tired of pointless wiimote waggling, lack of a proper online environment and lack of current day graphics.

I won't be getting a WiiU unless Super Mario U and Zelda U are absolutely amazing.

Antares

macrumors 68000
For me, I'm not excited by any new system as much as I used to, anymore. Be it the WiiU, PS4 or XB3.

I don't have as much time for games as I used to and have never had such a backlog of games, ever in my life. That's probably why my interest in next gen systems is lower, this time around.

In terms of the WiiU, it excites me no more or less than previous systems. I will buy a Nintendo console at launch, no matter what. I'll buy the PS4, eventually...but not at launch. The XB3 will probably be the one that I'll skip. The WiiU launch window lineup looks amazing...so, I'm excited for that.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For me, I'm not excited by any new system as much as I used to, anymore. Be it the WiiU, PS4 or XB3.

I don't have as much time for games as I used to and have never had such a backlog of games, ever in my life. That's probably why my interest in next gen systems is lower, this time around.

In terms of the WiiU, it excites me no more or less than previous systems. I will buy a Nintendo console at launch, no matter what. I'll buy the PS4, eventually...but not at launch. The XB3 will probably be the one that I'll skip. The WiiU launch window lineup looks amazing...so, I'm excited for that.

Yeah same story fr me. It's called getting old :( :(

I'll prob skip XB3 myself unless Rare come out with a Banjo, Kameo or Viva Piñata game and then I'd be tempted.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Yeah I have a huge backlog of unplayed/unfinished games too! Sometimes I wish I could hire someone to play them for me :D Or maybe I should just watch the games from youtube...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yeah same story fr me. It's called getting old :( :(

I'll prob skip XB3 myself unless Rare come out with a Banjo, Kameo or Viva Piñata game and then I'd be tempted.

I'm skipping the next Xbox because I'm not interested in any of Microsofts current IPs. And now I like to stick to Sony because of their cross-buy incentive.

As for backlogs of games. Mines just daft now! What I really want to see is games with an autoplay feature... or some way of seeing key moments in gameplay with all the cutscenes. I'm probably never going to finish FFXIII. The gameplay is getting dull at this point and I've got a load of things to do that I don't want to. Let me watch the rest of the story so I can start on XIII-2.
(not for all games)

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Has anyone actually preordered the Wii U yet?

I was gonna preorder a deluxe yesterday and found out all preorders are sold out. That was pretty quick.

On the plus side, if you own Nintendo stock, it just broke $16 this week

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Yup, debated on whether or not to cancel it and wait for a more lucrative deal closer to launch. But given that US preorders are selling out I really don't want to completely miss out on the launch.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I was gonna preorder a deluxe yesterday and found out all preorders are sold out. That was pretty quick.

Yep.i pre-ordered premium and 6 extra games...

----------

Yup, debated on whether or not to cancel it and wait for a more lucrative deal closer to launch. But given that US preorders are selling out I really don't want to completely miss out on the launch.

jimmy I just download Rayman Run on iPad. It's totally fab, you will love it :) :) off topic I know, but still ;)

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008

I was debating whether I should or not, but considering how much demand the Wii had when it first launched, I figured I might as well. So I preordered the deluxe since that is the better value over the basic.

Deluxe is sold out of pre-orders pretty much everywhere now.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
jimmy I just download Rayman Run on iPad. It's totally fab, you will love it :) :) off topic I know, but still ;)

Cheers for the heads up, saw the launch trailer but forgot about the release date.

I played a bit of Rayman Legends at E3 (and got to try out the pro controller). The new "chase" levels are incredible. Since the level is synced to the music I had to wear headphones. Turned the volume to max and my skin just tingled.
Still not sold on the async gameplay with the tablet, mind you. I don't think that bit is aimed at our crowd really.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Just as a heads up on places having a lack of preorders. I can tell you, the Gamestop I do part time at, we only had 32 Wii-U's (20 Standard, 12 Deluxe) available for preorder. Talking to other employees from around the state on Facebook, most stores only had about 20 (ours got more because we're a larger volume of sales in the state).

Not sure what Nintendo's plan is here, but yeah, what's all the info I have.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Just as a heads up on places having a lack of preorders. I can tell you, the Gamestop I do part time at, we only had 32 Wii-U's (20 Standard, 12 Deluxe) available for preorder. Talking to other employees from around the state on Facebook, most stores only had about 20 (ours got more because we're a larger volume of sales in the state).

Not sure what Nintendo's plan is here, but yeah, what's all the info I have.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're creating artificial shortages again. They've been doing that since the original NES

At the same time, they've got 2 months left until release. They'd be foolish not to get one more round of presales in. The hype will die down without it.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I wouldn't be surprised if they're creating artificial shortages again. They've been doing that since the original NES

At the same time, they've got 2 months left until release. They'd be foolish not to get one more round of presales in. The hype will die down without it.
And they got until E3 probably, to sell as many consoles as possible, so hype is good for them.. :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Seems the ambiguity over the power of the wii u boils down to this.

Slightly better GPU than the 360 or PS3, coupled with 1GB of Ram should in theory produce better graphics BUT the CPU falls short of the Xbox 360 and PS3 meaning where it needs the grunt to drive that GPU it hasn't got the raw muscle.

So that's why we're not seeing 1080p 60fps.

Why did they go with IBM processor that was weaker than the now 7 year old Xbox 360???? I just can't get my head around that decision.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I still haven't seen official specs of the CPU or GPU. It seems that both are "powerful enough" (i.e., equivalent to, or better than current XBox 360 & PS3 hardware), but nothing official.

I think Nintendo is being one part coy, and 9 parts true to their nature of emphasizing the user experience/game enjoyability, and not the fanboi specs & flame war side of things.

Also, I believe:

a. Nintendo has to turn a profit, or at least break even on the hardware. They can't sell at a loss, like Sony and Micro$oft can; they just don't have the resources, and

b. Nintendo is still planning on a 5-6 year life cycle for their hardware (though this may be subject to change, due to market forces and Sony and Micro$oft extending the life of their hardware...XBox is at year 7 already, and Sony isn't coming out with the PS4 until '14, so that is 8 years). So, their hardware has to be just "good enough" to get them over this hump, and we won't care.

The fact that Nintendo seems to be at pains to emphasize the adult offerings for the Wii U appears to show they have learned some lessons from the Wii and GameCube.

Anyway, I'm hoping to see the official specs at some point...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/wii-u-developer-reports-struggles-with-slow-cpu/

CPU is weaker than the PS3 and 360, offset by a better GPU and more RAM. Can see why some titles are struggling to port well...

did I not post that ;-)

Seems the ambiguity over the power of the wii u boils down to this.

Slightly better GPU than the 360 or PS3, coupled with 1GB of Ram should in theory produce better graphics BUT the CPU falls short of the Xbox 360 and PS3 meaning where it needs the grunt to drive that GPU it hasn't got the raw muscle.

So that's why we're not seeing 1080p 60fps.

Why did they go with IBM processor that was weaker than the now 7 year old Xbox 360???? I just can't get my head around that decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.