Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takasugi

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
I purchased the 3D/2D/Digital copy version of Titanic - plugged in the code and...SD download!! I was hoping HD versions would become the new standard!!

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
I purchased the 3D/2D/Digital copy version of Titanic - plugged in the code and...SD download!! I was hoping HD versions would become the new standard!!

it would be so great!!

it seems to be new blu rays from Lionsgate Films + HBO that are giving the HD codes on itunes.....

my guess would be that these upcoming Lionsgate releases will have hd iTunes:

What to Expect When You're Expecting Blu-ray
The Cabin in the Woods Blu-ray
Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection Blu-ray

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Universal 100th Anniversary

it would be so great!!

it seems to be new blu rays from Lionsgate Films + HBO that are giving the HD codes on itunes.....

my guess would be that these upcoming Lionsgate releases will have hd iTunes:

What to Expect When You're Expecting Blu-ray
The Cabin in the Woods Blu-ray
Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection Blu-ray

The new Jaws blu-ray was an HD copy as well, so I'm hoping the same applies for all Universal's 100th anniversary reissues, including E.T. when it comes out next month.

Something to keep in mind is that while you have the digital download site open, you can usually grab both the iTunes and Ultraviolet versions. This has worked for me with Hunger Games, Jaws, and Hugo, and all 3 are HD in Ultraviolet. I'm not a fan of Ultraviolet, but if you set up and link your accounts once, the videos will appear on most services for streaming on non-Apple devices. I can stream HDX through Vudu on a PS3 or stream on the go through Flixster. The only time I'd ever use Flixster would be if I didn't have the iTunes digital copy on my iPhone or iPad.

It would be really nice if Apple allowed the option to stream purchased movies instead of forcing you to download the entire file over WiFi. The Apple TV does it, so any other iOS device should be able to handle it.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The new Jaws blu-ray was an HD copy as well, so I'm hoping the same applies for all Universal's 100th anniversary reissues, including E.T. when it comes out next month.

Something to keep in mind is that while you have the digital download site open, you can usually grab both the iTunes and Ultraviolet versions. This has worked for me with Hunger Games, Jaws, and Hugo, and all 3 are HD in Ultraviolet. I'm not a fan of Ultraviolet, but if you set up and link your accounts once, the videos will appear on most services for streaming on non-Apple devices. I can stream HDX through Vudu on a PS3 or stream on the go through Flixster. The only time I'd ever use Flixster would be if I didn't have the iTunes digital copy on my iPhone or iPad.

It would be really nice if Apple allowed the option to stream purchased movies instead of forcing you to download the entire file over WiFi. The Apple TV does it, so any other iOS device should be able to handle it.

You can sorta stream on the Mac - after about a minute it will say this movie is ready to play - and it will fake stream it - quite nice - iOS is the only problem child that doesn't let you do streaming of any sort - hope iOS 6 will change that but nothing announced so far.

----------

Yup, mine is 1080p :mad:

Preferred video settings is NOT what you need to look at you need to check out the STORE pane where it says preferred DOWNLOAD option. - Much different

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida

I always download the VUDU version, if its included.
I like the iTunes version better, but VUDU usually comes in 1080p.
Why doesnt iTunes allow me to download an HD copy for every bluray digital copy code that I redeem!!?? :confused:

Granted, I have about 117 iTunes digital copies now......but its the point.
I assume that one day we will be allowed to download HD versions of our movies for little to no charge........Hopefully

My Universal 100th rereleases of the Bourne trilogy are in SD :(

That stinks. The iTunes digital copies dont look bad, but you can tell they arent HD when watching on your Apple TV.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I always download the VUDU version, if its included.
I like the iTunes version better, but VUDU usually comes in 1080p.
Why doesnt iTunes allow me to download an HD copy for every bluray digital copy code that I redeem!!?? :confused:

Blame the content providers they are the ones that tell iTunes what copy have have rights to.

doctorcrentist

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
The Avengers

Has anyone done any digging to see if the Avengers digital download will download in HD? I know that the iTunes Store direct purchase of The Avengers (and likely any potentially-included HD download) is only 720p and not true 1080p, but its better than SD, right?

Please advise. Thanks!

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Piranha 3DD 3-Disc 3D combo pack (that's a lot of 'D's :D) downloads the HD version for iTunes.

Piranha3d.jpg

51xu6LI9BQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
The Cabin in the Woods Blu-ray comes with HD itunes download

would be great to have a list of movies that have the HD itunes download!

davwin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
I can confirm Cabin in the Woods in HD with the download code here as well. Very nice and even included the Extras - sometimes they don't in UK for whatever reason...

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
My Universal 100th rereleases of the Bourne trilogy are in SD :(

Those were released in January though. The first HD codes just started popping up in the last month or so it was probably a recent policy change that would only apply to Blu-rays manufactured since then. I would also assume that this was a change pushed for by Apple, because the studios love making people buy their content 10 different times in every format imaginable. But it clearly doesn't make sense for you to only get an SD copy with a Blu-ray. Hopefully this will become standard across the board for all studios soon.

starkmj

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
The Avengers Blu Ray +Blu Ray + DVD + Digital Copy

I'm really waiting to hear if the digital copy on this one is HD or not.

If not, I may buy the iTunes version. I like the convenience of it being available in the Cloud from on my Apple TV.

rlu929s

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011
I agree. I've a best buy certificate and am waiting. I may just go in to BB and buy a itunes card with my certificate and use that to get the digital version off iTunes.

Digital is where it's at....don't like messing with disc anymore.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I'm really waiting to hear if the digital copy on this one is HD or not.

If not, I may buy the iTunes version. I like the convenience of it being available in the Cloud from on my Apple TV.

I agree. I've a best buy certificate and am waiting. I may just go in to BB and buy a itunes card with my certificate and use that to get the digital version off iTunes.

Digital is where it's at....don't like messing with disc anymore.

Target has a smoking deal. 3D Blu Ray disc, 2D Blu Ray disc, DVD, digital down load, and more for $19.99
This would be awesome if the digal download was 1080P from iTunes.

Edit: that Target deal is on-line only:mad:

thesheleys

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2008
Target has a smoking deal. 3D Blu Ray disc, 2D Blu Ray disc, DVD, digital down load, and more for $19.99
This would be awesome if the digal download was 1080P from iTunes.

Edit: that Target deal is on-line only:mad:

Nope it is in store also. Just picked my copy up!:D

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Ill know tonight if its HD iTunes digital copy.
Remember, this title is a DISNEY TITLE......didnt Disney say they are going the HD route for digital copies?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.